Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14

Author Topic: TP-link TD-W9980 [now available]  (Read 139665 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: TP-link TD-W9980 [now available]
« Reply #135 on: May 31, 2015, 03:37:51 PM »

"3.Improved the performance of Wireless 5GHz in short distances."

Whatever it is they have done I hope it is an improvement as its one of the things I found disappointing in my review of the TD-W9980.  Unless I was stood right next to the router then performance wasnt any better than 2.4Ghz and any advantage soon dropped off - even in the same room. My Zyxel VMG8324 which only has 2.4GHz has a much better performance and range.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Voltaic

• Just arrived
« Reply #136 on: May 31, 2015, 03:55:07 PM »

If you achieve it by means of the MAC cloning facility, then yes, that is available in the new firmware.

In the 1.6 beta there's a click box for MER support once you've setup your VDSL connection.  I am guessing by your response that the current latest release does not have MER support in the way I am using it right now.

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #137 on: May 31, 2015, 04:32:47 PM »

The WAN interface looks like this when configured for BT VDSL, no option that I can see there. Is that where the option was previously? You could always try the new firmware and revert to the beta if it isn't any good.

edjonesy

• Just arrived
« Reply #138 on: June 02, 2015, 12:06:32 PM »

@Mooingall, do I understand that if I change the 2.4ghz location from UK to Japan I should get a stronger wifi signal, but it would also be breaking the law?

Mooingall

« Reply #139 on: June 02, 2015, 07:55:15 PM »

@Mooingall, do I understand that if I change the 2.4ghz location from UK to Japan I should get a stronger wifi signal, but it would also be breaking the law?

Yes correct, 2.4Ghz transmit power will move from 50mw to 100mw. Its appears to not be as much of a massive boost as it sounds but it has really helped with a dead area in our home (from non working to working).

Also with setting Japan the 5Ghz transmit power moves from 50mw to potentially 200mw but I believe there are some other restrictions in place that may drop that power depending on channel selected. I have not been able to test the 5Ghz.

Let me know how you get on.

The UK limit seems to be 100mW EiRP. I believe while using the Japan setting you would be totalling 223mw once you include the stock antenna's gain? Someone smarter than me can confirm that.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 08:10:18 PM by Mooingall »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #140 on: June 02, 2015, 10:49:14 PM »

As well as being illegal, increasing your output power like that can cause extra interference to neighbouring properties. I really think that you should not do it.
  Eric

edjonesy

• Just arrived
« Reply #141 on: June 03, 2015, 11:19:57 AM »

That's a good point about interfering with neighbours WiFi.

Mooingall

« Reply #142 on: June 03, 2015, 05:23:50 PM »

Yes indeed, in simple terms we would be yelling louder than the neighbour.

Pick a non overlapping channel to minimize any disruption (1, 6 or 11 only), also check no one else is using the overlapping channels while making your choice. My understanding is if everyone sticks to 1, 6 or 11 then the devices cooperate with each other rather than simply shouting louder and drowning each other out.

If your wireless is OK then there is no reason to play with power levels and such.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #143 on: June 03, 2015, 06:26:58 PM »

Increasing the power output at only one end of the wireless connection probably isn't very useful. There's no point one end having much greater range than the other, if the transmissions from the other end can't reach the router.

Also, if your router has a much greater power output and range, then you might not see the other networks on the channel you're using. But the other networks on your channel might receive the signals from your router. So your router might interfere with other networks and not be aware of the problems it would be causing.

aruba

« Reply #144 on: July 09, 2015, 10:36:26 AM »

Please could I ask how people are getting on with the W9980, especially in terms of reliability?

I have been thinking about getting one, but have been put off by posts in the TP-Link forums about issues when UPnP is switched on and Wi-Fi dropouts/failures.

Projjer01

• Just arrived
« Reply #145 on: July 09, 2015, 11:42:10 PM »

Mine has been up for 34 days showing 79995 down and 19999 up.
Good SNR 11.6 down.
Reporting zero errors (too good to be true?)
Wireless coverage appears to  b e reasonable, unable to quantify further as I have 3 other wireless APs around the house.
Firmware was updated to latest on their site.

All in all very pleased and to me it looks to be an improvement on the TG589v3 that it replaced.

Only downside is that detailed line stats are not easily available.

Cheers

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

aruba

« Reply #146 on: July 10, 2015, 07:46:33 AM »

Thank you for the feedback Projjer - really appreciated.

It's good to hear that the W9980 is proving reliable in the longer-term, and to get a different perspective to all the negativity I've read recently.

Yes, a shame about the stats but I think I'll take the plunge.

Thanks again...

edjonesy

• Just arrived
« Reply #147 on: July 12, 2015, 04:26:15 PM »

I've included a screenshot from my router stats page, for your info, I'm on BT Infinity 2, my HomeHub couldn't manage 24 hours connected in one go. I'm very happy.

aruba

« Reply #148 on: July 14, 2015, 06:42:57 AM »

I've included a screenshot from my router stats page, for your info...
Thank you! Certainly impressive.  :)

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #149 on: July 14, 2015, 06:56:00 AM »

The system uptime is how long the device has been switched on, not how long the DSL connection has been maintained. The zero error counts reported is a long standing bug with the web interface.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14