Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14

Author Topic: TP-link TD-W9980 [now available]  (Read 139623 times)

adslmax

• Kitizen
Re: TP-link TD-W9980 coming soon
« Reply #60 on: September 12, 2014, 11:19:55 PM »

@adslmax

Have you tried to telnet into the router?
The only reason I ask, is that it allowed me access just after I'd upgraded the firmware.  But hasnt since.

No telnet won't work.

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #61 on: September 12, 2014, 11:24:35 PM »

I am going to fired away email TP Link and ask them to add features on the VDSL router below:

Enabled for telnet
Wan connection (how long connected online)
INP (interleaving), CRC, HEC, ES, and FEC errors stats

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #62 on: September 12, 2014, 11:35:48 PM »

Wan connection (how long connected online)

Make sure you separate that from System UpTime which can be found on the Status Page.

You should also request that access via telnet should give you SNRm per tone and bitloading. I know this information should be easy for them to get.
I feel there is a lot more info that should be available.  Theres tons of VDSL information that isnt :(
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 11:41:11 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #63 on: September 13, 2014, 12:10:50 PM »

Look what I have  :clap:

Code: [Select]
Welcome To Use TP-LINK COMMAND-LINE Interface Model.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
TP-LINK(conf)#help
normal mode commands:
        clear           ---     clear screen
        exit            ---     leave to the privious mode
        help            ---     help info
        history         ---     show histroy commands
        logout          ---     logout cli model
config mode commands:
        config          ---     enter config mode
        adsl            ---     config adsl
        igmp            ---     igmp config
        wan             ---     wan config
        wlctl           ---     wireless config
        lan             ---     lan config
        dev             ---     device control

TP-LINK(conf)#

Very limited but better than nothing

TP-LINK(conf)#adsl show info

INDEX=1
{
enable=1
status=Up
modulationType=VDSL2
X_TPLINK_CurrSupportLinkType=2
lineEncoding=
allowedProfiles=
currentProfile=
dataPath=
interleaveDepth=0
lineNumber=0
upstreamCurrRate=20000
downstreamCurrRate=79995
upstreamMaxRate=28484
downstreamMaxRate=82936
upstreamNoiseMargin=99
downstreamNoiseMargin=66
upstreamAttenuation=162
downstreamAttenuation=164
upstreamPower=143
downstreamPower=42
ATURVendor=
ATURCountry=
ATUCVendor=
ATUCCountry=
totalStart=229251
showtimeStart=537
quarterHourStart=0
X_TPLINK_Bitswap=On
X_TPLINK_SRA=On
X_TPLINK_AdslModulationCfg=Multimode
X_TPLINK_AnnexType=Annex A/B/L/M
X_TPLINK_SupportAdslMode=VDSL2:A,B,A/B;T1.413:A;G.dmt:A;ADSL2:A,A/L/M;ADSL
,A/L/M;Auto Sync-up:A/B/L/M
X_TPLINK_PtmMainIfName=ptm0
}
cmd:SUCC
TP-LINK(conf)#

LAN port 2
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #64 on: September 13, 2014, 02:04:12 PM »

Am I dreaming? Can't believe this VDSL router are the best quality look here: The Broadband Quality Monitor with low ping http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/e25b09a2afe76bdc9ff6372a1923e701.html

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #65 on: September 13, 2014, 02:31:55 PM »

Am I dreaming? Can't believe this VDSL router are the best quality look here: The Broadband Quality Monitor with low ping http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/e25b09a2afe76bdc9ff6372a1923e701.html

I cant see how your router could affect latency - thats more to do with your routing, and traffic between the exchange and packet destination...  and of course your ISP's gateway.  You can check latency by doing a tracert.

That said I too have got brilliant routing (and my best ever) atm.

C:\Users\kitz>tracert www.kitz.co.uk

Tracing route to kitz.co.uk [185.24.98.37]over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.1.1
  2    11 ms    11 ms    11 ms  lo0.12.central12.ptw-bng01.plus.net [195.166.128.172]
  3    11 ms    11 ms    10 ms  irb.12.ptw-cr02.plus.net [84.93.249.34]
  4    12 ms    12 ms    12 ms  195.66.237.228
  5    12 ms    13 ms    13 ms  switch-004.sl5.misp.co.uk [91.198.165.76]
  6    12 ms    12 ms    12 ms  kitz.servers.eqx.misp.co.uk [185.24.98.37]

Trace complete.

This has only happened in the past few days. I certainly didnt notice it before and Ive been testing the TD-W9980 on and off for a few months now.  Routing via ptw-bng01 seems pretty good, and also implies something has happened on the backhaul between my exchange/Preston/Manchester/London. I therefore wonder if its anything to do with this

-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2014, 08:41:07 PM »

Update

Ive been saying to TP-Link for several weeks that the lack of line statistics on this router lets it down :(

As agreed, I wasnt able to release a review until the product was actually for available in the UK.  I was under the impression that the TP-link TD-W9980 would be available for sale in the UK from 18th of Sept, but I noticed on the 10th Sept broadband buyer was making these units available so I released my review on the same day TP-Link TD-W9980  Review.

TP-Link weren't aware of what I was going to post as the review is entirely independent and based on my own opinion.

Some line stats are available but none of the VDSL diagnostic data is available.  This is very disappointing as the information is available from the chipset.  I feel TP Link have missed a trick here by not including this information.

Today I got an email from TP-link saying they are going to review this and are looking at adding some further VDSL diagnostic parameters. 
I will be corresponding with them direct with my suggestions.  Not sure how much notice they will take, but its looking like there will at least be some of the more basic parameters available in a future firmware release. :fingers:

Thought people may like to be aware of this.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 08:49:44 PM by kitz »
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2014, 08:58:49 PM »

In the meantime

- Ive posted in this thread how you can now access the CLI via telnet to get some basic stats.

- ejs has kindly written a small java program that allows you to access some further stats.  -  Getting further stats from the TP-Link TD-W9980
-----

adslmax

• Kitizen
Re: TP-link TD-W9980 [now available]
« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2014, 10:42:50 PM »

Mine TP Link TD-W9980 already go back to broadbandbuyer and got full refunded today. They only offer me minus -10% refunded. Cheek of them! Overall disappointed with TP-Link with not good on VDSL, cause more errors on the line.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #69 on: September 16, 2014, 11:01:24 PM »

This is to do with the chipset.  You, like me have a shortish run to the cab.. in which case the Broadcom chipsets seem to time and time again out-perform.   The Lantiqs seem to fair quite well and be favoured by those with longer lines, but they aint too hot for some short lines.

Its one of those things that you never can really tell how its going to work until you have it set up on your line.  :(

Its also why some people on here prefer to use the BT supplied ECI modem (lantiq) and some prefer the BT supplied Huawei (BCM)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 11:04:48 PM by kitz »
-----

mpmc

• There is a fault... with my brain.
« Reply #70 on: September 18, 2014, 12:48:20 AM »

Hey folks!

Got a TD-W9980 here and it's working pretty good on our very poor VDSL line (2.2km length by road says the kitz ADSL checker), although I could not get a working connection when the mode was set to A/B it had to be set to use just A, I'm not sure why it would not work in A/B mode, it managed to get a connection but nothing would load, it also sync'd slower.

Current Rate (Kbps) 4833 22084
Max Rate (Kbps) 4793 25763
SNR Margin (dB) 6.4 6.1
Line Attenuation (dB) 31.5 27
Errors (Pkts) 0 0

Although from the logs it has dropped a few times.

1 2014-09-16 15:58:31 DSL Notice xDSL Enter Showtime!!
2 2014-09-16 15:58:30 DSL Notice xDSL Leave Showtime!!
3 2014-09-16 07:29:23 DSL Notice xDSL Enter Showtime!!
4 2014-09-16 07:29:02 DSL Notice xDSL Training!!
5 2014-09-16 07:29:00 DSL Notice xDSL Handshake!!
6 2014-09-16 07:28:56 DSL Notice xDSL Ready!!
7 2014-09-16 07:28:52 DSL Notice xDSL Leave Showtime!!
8 2014-09-16 07:28:49 DSL Notice xDSL Leave Showtime!!

When it has dropped it'll leave/train/enter showtime most of the time but it will sometimes just leave and enter again without training etc, is this normal?

Both the ECI and Huawei performed OK on our line, I'd even reflashed the Huawei for linestats but we had a problem on our line and the BT Engineer swapped it out for the ECI (no idea why ~ it worked fine, our line was just screwed up), I guess I shouldn't have shown him the linestats page!  :lol:

Overall it's a great little modem/router - just a shame it doesn't support the JetDirect Protocol for printers but instead you have to use some crappy app that's Windows only!

I can't wait for Openwrt to add support for it (I assume they will add support seeing as they've got it running on a TD-W8970  :angel:).
VM + BT via rotting aluminium/copper blend, hmm tasty!

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #71 on: September 18, 2014, 11:03:59 AM »

Hi mpmc and welcome to the forums.

Thank you for adding your comments.

I could not get a working connection when the mode was set to A/B it had to be set to use just A, I'm not sure why it would not work in A/B mode,

Which setting was that, is that the Annex?   Sorry I dont have the TPlink on atm so I cant check.
The following steps are how I set the connection up and I dont recall having to set the annex as by default it went into multi-mode, which should auto-detect the correct annex mode.
http://wiki.kitz.co.uk/index.php/TD-W9980_QuickSetup

it also sync'd slower.

How much?  With your line being longer I would have hoped that the lantiq chipset may have been of some benefit.   If its not performing as well on the longer lines then it would suggest that broadcom chipsets still have the edge.   Your observations would certainly be of interest.

This is a tricky area because the lantiq/broadcom chipset preference is one that many will debate.  I make no bones that the BCMs always seem to work best on my own line and I prefer them..  but some others on longer lines seem to prefer lantiq.

I guess I shouldn't have shown him the linestats page!

Damn!  :(  Unless you can pick up another cheap on ebay.

-----

mpmc

• There is a fault... with my brain.
« Reply #72 on: September 18, 2014, 12:43:06 PM »

Hi mpmc and welcome to the forums.

Thank you for adding your comments.

I could not get a working connection when the mode was set to A/B it had to be set to use just A, I'm not sure why it would not work in A/B mode,

Which setting was that, is that the Annex?   Sorry I dont have the TPlink on atm so I cant check.
The following steps are how I set the connection up and I dont recall having to set the annex as by default it went into multi-mode, which should auto-detect the correct annex mode.

http://wiki.kitz.co.uk/index.php/TD-W9980_QuickSetup

it also sync'd slower.

How much?  With your line being longer I would have hoped that the lantiq chipset may have been of some benefit.   If its not performing as well on the longer lines then it would suggest that broadcom chipsets still have the edge.   Your observations would certainly be of interest.

This is a tricky area because the lantiq/broadcom chipset preference is one that many will debate.  I make no bones that the BCMs always seem to work best on my own line and I prefer them..  but some others on longer lines seem to prefer lantiq.

I guess I shouldn't have shown him the linestats page!

Damn!  :(  Unless you can pick up another cheap on ebay.

Sorry I should have been a bit clearer  :) I set it up exactly as your wiki link at first and it connected under Annex A/B mode and obtained an IP address but it refused to load anything. (this is where it sync'd slower). So I tried again in just Annex A mode and it just worked, it sync'd at about the same as the ECI modem it replaced (judging from the speedtest results.)
VM + BT via rotting aluminium/copper blend, hmm tasty!

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #73 on: September 18, 2014, 01:00:38 PM »

Ahh.. thank you for clarifying that.  Sorry if Id misinterpreted what you meant :)

it sync'd at about the same as the ECI modem it replaced

Which isnt too much of a surprise.

Its extremely likely that it contains the same Lantiq chipset as the TD-W8980 and ECI modem which is a VRX 268
The only definite info I do have is that the TD-W9980 identifies itself as containing one of the "VRX-200" series chipsets.
-----

Jaggies

« Reply #74 on: September 30, 2014, 10:30:51 PM »

I came across this thread following Kitz's "Combined VDSL2 Modem Routers" list. I'm presently using a TP-Link TL-WDR3600 along with an ECI modem, and the connection is very stable, but slower than the estimates, due to interleaving being on high (I was previously running on an unlocked HG612).

I see from earlier posts that it should be possible to flash a TD-W8980 with the TD-W9980 firmware - is there an idiot's guide anywhere, or is it simply a question of downloading the firmware and using the router's built-in firmware upgrade tool to load it on? I just happen to have a TD-W8980 sitting here gathering dust, so would be happy to give it a try, especially as the copper portion of my line is fairly long - my line is synching at around 55Mb/15Mb.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14

anything