Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14

Author Topic: TP-link TD-W9980 [now available]  (Read 139334 times)

aruba

Re: TP-link TD-W9980 [now available]
« Reply #150 on: July 14, 2015, 06:57:45 AM »

Are the stats in-depth enough to show connection time though?

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #151 on: July 14, 2015, 08:26:45 AM »

No, that is the big downside to the TD- W9980, no stats available. Connection time can be deduced from the system log though.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 08:34:36 AM by licquorice »

aruba

« Reply #152 on: July 14, 2015, 09:05:44 AM »

Hmm... a bit naf, but it's available somewhere then I guess it's not the end of the world.

Thanks.

edjonesy

• Just arrived
« Reply #153 on: July 14, 2015, 10:03:41 PM »

The system uptime is how long the device has been switched on, not how long the DSL connection has been maintained. The zero error counts reported is a long standing bug with the web interface.

I'm disappointed now  :( I will say though, in practice, it is way better the a BT HomeHub 5.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #154 on: October 19, 2015, 09:51:59 AM »

The 9980 won't be getting vectoring according to: Will N600 - W9980 will have a G.Vector standart support in the future?

tedrodgers

• Just arrived
« Reply #155 on: October 27, 2015, 01:07:49 PM »

hi guys

sorry for the very noobish question compared to what looks like very technical discussions here, but ive just bought this router to replace my current bt modem/HH4 combination, i have bt infinity 1.

is there anywhere that has a step by step guide to setting this router up for use on infinity?

what firmware should i run? (im looking for the most stable as i currently suffer from disconnects which im hoping is the HH4/modem and will be much improved using this router).

also, ive read abit about this g.inp and wondered if it was available to everyone and is it something a relative novice can enable?

I do work in I.T so i am relatively technical, but i know little about networking.

thanks guys and sorry if this question has been asked a million times before.

Ted

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #156 on: October 27, 2015, 01:36:01 PM »

G.INP is only available on Huawei cabs. There was some beta firmware a while ago that enabled G.INP on this device but I don't know if that was rolled up into the latest stock firmware. But that's not important if you're on an ECI cab.

See http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/cabinet-lookup.htm

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #157 on: October 27, 2015, 03:31:30 PM »

hi guys

sorry for the very noobish question compared to what looks like very technical discussions here, but ive just bought this router to replace my current bt modem/HH4 combination, i have bt infinity 1.

is there anywhere that has a step by step guide to setting this router up for use on infinity?

what firmware should i run? (im looking for the most stable as i currently suffer from disconnects which im hoping is the HH4/modem and will be much improved using this router).

also, ive read abit about this g.inp and wondered if it was available to everyone and is it something a relative novice can enable?

I do work in I.T so i am relatively technical, but i know little about networking.

Ted

The router practically sets itself up, select BT VDSL from the drop down list in the 'Quick Setup'and enter bthomehub@btbroadband.com as user name, BT as password, job done. Latest firmware is 150507

tedrodgers

• Just arrived
« Reply #158 on: October 27, 2015, 04:13:01 PM »

thanks Dray & Lic , much appreciated.

is there anything in the latest firmware to improve stability? if its purely additional features I wont use then I wont bother,

cheers

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #159 on: October 27, 2015, 04:20:36 PM »

You need the latest firmware for G.Inp. Its perfectly stable.

robsunited

« Reply #160 on: October 27, 2015, 04:34:00 PM »

hi guys

Ted

You won't regret the move to the 9980. Give things a day or two to settle and you won't look back. I had a very trying couple of weeks with BTs Hub 5 with constant rebooting and dropouts etc. Changed to the 9980 and I haven't looked back. Good luck. Also, just to add, the guys here are a great help when required.

ehabtanta

• Just arrived
« Reply #161 on: October 29, 2015, 09:54:52 AM »

55/6 wooow
nice speed

mishka

• Just arrived
« Reply #162 on: November 14, 2015, 02:33:45 PM »

Hello guys, I see that all the gurus of TD-W9980 are here.

I recently purchased one and want to use it's USB ports to expose two my WD disks to streamer running Kodi (XBMC). Unfortunately I discovered that this router uses block device names (sda1/sdb1) in shares' names. Device names are not persistent between Linux boots and I found that after a couple of boots disks are exposed under different names (sda1 instead of sdb1 and sdb1 instead of sda1). As result path names are changed and it totally screws up Kodi's database.

Is it any way to give persistent names to disks shares exposed by this router ? Something like explained in following article: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Persistent_block_device_naming ? Alternatively, is it possible to login into this router via telnet/ssh and to setup the technique explained in this article ?

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #163 on: November 14, 2015, 04:22:43 PM »

Not sure if I'm missing something here. The devices are sda1 and sdb1 on the router not on your Linux box so should remain consistently named regardless of Linux boots. There is no configuration of the router possible by Telnet/SSH.

mishka

• Just arrived
« Reply #164 on: November 14, 2015, 04:38:38 PM »

If, for example, I will disconnect disk that got sda1 and reboot the router the remaining disk will get sda1. There was a situation when I didn't disconnected any disks, but after reboot they've got sdb1 and sdc1 in their share names (and in their block device names). In Linux block device names are not promised to be persistent, especially not for hot-add devices like USB drives.

Please check the link I supplied in previous note, they explain how to make those share names to be persistent between reboots. For example: if I could make that router to assign the share name according to volume label then my problem will be resolved..
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14