Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Help/ideas needed as i'm unable to connect my pc directly to the BT OR modem  (Read 7032 times)

tommy45

• Reg Member

Already done that, didn't work, then as i said i set my lan connection to the defaults auto IP and Auto dns, and still no joy, the pc will not communicate with the BT-OR ECI modem , no lan led activity  on modem or at the ethernet port on the pc  at all whilst the PPPOE mini port connection that i created is allegedly trying to establish a connection,

Ive connected a few time via a PPPoE dialler for testing purposes without issue.  I basically did the steps in that tuturial provided by NewtronStar.

The mention of PPPoE mini port confuses me.   I used the settings from the network wizard:  Connect to the Internet > Broadband PPPoE

The other thing that nags somewhere, is the BT login,  Im sure Ive seen something weird about that in the past.   I take it you have used your @btinternet login information and not whatever the HH has set by default.     
Wan Mini -port is what the connection is called , And i created it using the very same actions as you did but it will not connect, no lan activity at the modem, or at the ethernet port on PC when plugged into BT modem

[Moderator edited to upload a cropped version of the image.]
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 12:06:53 AM by burakkucat »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen

Hi Tommy45 I am wondering if you have some settings un-ticked in the Local Area Connection properties ?

So I have included a Snip of my Local Area Connection for you to look at, I am using Vista I take it your using XP.

tommy45

• Reg Member

No, nothing is un-ticked  there isn't as many  options though, I  did how ever manage to loan a laptop that had a corrupted version of win7 on it, so after basically performing a re installation of the o/s i was able to set up a PPPOE connection to the BTOR modem,  as soon as i plugged the Ethernet cable in  the lan led on the modem illuminated and after a couple of failed attempts  i had a direct working PPPOE connection .
I then did a download test, and no pausing , some variation but no pausing , I then set up a lan connection to the router  and did the same test, again the pausing was there,
 I have since found that a similar problem with the router  billion 7800 was found back in 2011-12, looks like they didn't fix it,
But as to why my pc wouldn't do a direct PPPOE connection is a mystery , but thank you to those who tried to help me , much appreciated

The next thing is to somehow get Plusnet to bloody well leave their copy IP profile alone, it was set by tech support to the max of 78mbps the other day it since has been lowered as a direct result I've lost even more throughput , it should be set around 74mbps  not lower like it currently is,
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 10:31:52 PM by tommy45 »

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen

The next thing is to somehow get Plusnet to bloody well leave their copy IP profile alone, it was set by tech support to the max of 78mbps the other day it since has been lowered as a direct result I've lost even more throughput , it should be set around 74mbps  not lower like it currently is,

What is it currently set at?

I'm also with Plusnet & find it quite frustrating that it can sometimes take a few days for their profile to update.

Theoretically, they should receive regular IP Profile updates from BT (3 times per day I think), but they claim that they don't always recieve them that often.

They can manually update their own profile when requested, but that can also take a few days for them to get round to doing it.

I believe Plusnet's own profile (for VDSL2 connections) should only be around 100 Kbps lower than BT's IP Profile.
Therefore when their systems work as intended, it makes very little difference to actual throughput speeds.

custard

• Geeky Dentist

Following on from what Bald_Eagle1 has said, if the plusnet profile was incorrectly set higher than the BT profile then this can cause issues with streaming if the downloading limit of the line is reached.

So can I ask are you still noticing the pausing after the plusnet profile was reduced?

tommy45

• Reg Member

I'm also with Plusnet & find it quite frustrating that it can sometimes take a few days for their profile to update.

Theoretically, they should receive regular IP Profile updates from BT (3 times per day I think), but they claim that they don't always recieve them that often.

They can manually update their own profile when requested, but that can also take a few days for them to get round to doing it.

I believe Plusnet's own profile (for VDSL2 connections) should only be around 100 Kbps lower than BT's IP Profile.
Therefore when their systems work as intended, it makes very little difference to actual throughput speeds.
   What is it currently set at?  The Plusnet Profile is 71.4 Mb I was getting throughput of 71.9 , with it set to 78
So it is  restricting my throughput as it must be set lower than the real IP profile In MB/s i was getting 8.6MB/s  now 8.3MB/s
As for their IP profile updating several times a day, rubbish is all i can say, as the last time that DLM intervened Although my BT ip profile changed (but only after a re boot of the bt modem)  the plusnet IP profile remained  as it was  set 77.4 for the duration  of the dlm intervention 15 days , then i saw the BT IP profile  revert back to 77.44 and the 8ms of unneeded lag  removed as well  , Plusnets system didn't have a clue, lol
https://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,114083.32.html One forum topic about their Profile , there's also a long one on think-broadband, others have noticed  this too When my IP was 77.4 the max throughput i saw was 72.80mbps , when it should of been 74/75mbps  but the second plusnet profile and their QOS  that doesn't have an off switch prevent this , yes it maybe only a 2-3 mbps difference  but it doesn't mean that it's right they can get away with doing this , I believe the customer should be given the choice , to have their traffic prioritising  or not have it , For someone like me there is no benefits of having it.for me, So it works in plusnets favour (3mbps shortfall in throughput) meaning can't download as much data per hr = saves them money /bandwidth
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 01:58:12 PM by tommy45 »

tommy45

• Reg Member

Following on from what Bald_Eagle1 has said, if the plusnet profile was incorrectly set higher than the BT profile then this can cause issues with streaming if the downloading limit of the line is reached.

So can I ask are you still noticing the pausing after the plusnet profile was reduced?
As i am the only user of the connection  that is of no concern to me,  and infact  i am able to do what you suggest without buffering issues regardless of plusnet may say, The only difference  i observed was that whilst downloading at the max , minimum latency increased more , but so what?  i wouldn't normally  be playing an online game with downloads or uploads running, 

As for the (single threaded) pausing when using  my router yes  it still happens, that's because  it is down to my router, it appears to be a known issue that dates back to 2011-12  which billion don't seem to have fixed
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 01:48:19 PM by tommy45 »
Pages: 1 [2]