Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Help/ideas needed as i'm unable to connect my pc directly to the BT OR modem  (Read 7033 times)

tommy45

• Reg Member

As the title suggests so matter what i have tried nothing ahas worked, they modem isn't communicating with the pc lan

Things i have done, set up a PPPOE mini port  connection  (several times) changed  my network adapter from it's manually configured set up (Static ip for pc & router for dns)  to auto mode, plugged ethernet cable into modem and rebooted pc   but not lan led activity at all , My O/S is win SP3 and the modem is an ECI latest version

Has anyone else experienced  this type of issue, I wanted to connect  directly in order to progress a fault  where  when downloading using only 1 stream throughput repeatedly will stall /pause briefly then continue again 
But  if i download using  multiple threads  there's no stalling/pausing  with throughput, so i need to be sure this isn't down to my router  billion 7800

If anyone has any ideas why i'm not able to successfully create a PPPOE mini port connection to the modem  please let me know

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF

the only time I had this issue on dsl is my adsl days and it happened when I had excessive crc errors causing tcp to stall.

have you watched the error count during the stalls?

tommy45

• Reg Member

I haven't got a huwaei modem as yet,I was given a ECI , But  the tests the ISP has  done don't indicate any issues
But  i have this pausing  on the downstream , I too had plenty of issues with high error rates when on ADSL2+ But this issue seems to be different, It also only seems to pause when connected to a server that can max out  the connection, as streaming I player ect  aren't continually buffering or stopping/failing  to play ,  2 threads and i get a constant  throughput with some degree of variation near the max range,

But as i use a router i really could do with being able to eliminate it from the list of possibilities , but without another machine or being able to make a successful  direct PPPOE connection from PC to the BT modem and access the internet, My other option would be to buy a 3b and unlock it and use it as a modem/router for testing , and i would then be able to access my stats as well

to test if the issue is still present or not  before agreeing to a BT OR SFI visit , in order to avoid donating to their xmas party fund
Code: [Select]
Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0003
Description No problem found, OAM test is not currently supported on this line.
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 73.8 Mbps
Upstream Speed 20.0 Mbps
Profile Name 40M-80M Downstream, Interleaving Low - 10M-20M Upstream, Interleaving Off
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 09:09:50 PM by tommy45 »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen

If you would like to connect to BT FTTC modem directly you need to setup a PPPOE connection on the PC side in the Network Connections all you need is the USER NAME and PASSWORD given to you by your ISP.

here is an example http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/fibre-help-how-to-set-up-a-pppoe-dialler-in-vistawindows-7/
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 08:31:47 PM by NewtronStar »

tommy45

• Reg Member

If you would like to connect to BT FTTC modem directly you need to setup a PPPOE connection on the PC side in the Network Connections all you need is the USER NAME and PASSWORD given to you by your ISP.

here is an example http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/fibre-help-how-to-set-up-a-pppoe-dialler-in-vistawindows-7/
Already done that, didn't work, then as i said i set my lan connection to the defaults auto IP and Auto dns, and still no joy, the pc will not communicate with the BT-OR ECI modem , no lan led activity  on modem or at the ethernet port on the pc  at all whilst the PPPOE mini port connection that i created is allegedly trying to establish a connection, If it had worked as it is apparently supposed to do , i would not be on here picking some brains in the hope someone may be able to help perhaps there is something getting overlooked ? , The PPOE connection gives an error code , and the lan connection Icon doesn't at any point change from displaying "a network cable maybe unplugged" complete with red X , so there's no coms going on between modem and pc
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 09:08:02 PM by tommy45 »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen

You could try the above PPPOE setup again in the safe mode because I am thinking that you have some kind of security thats blocking diirect access to Lan Port 1 on the FTTC modem, or the ECI modem settings need reset.

I'll leave it to someone else to help you out with this issue  ;)

tommy45

• Reg Member

I did attempt  to connect using safe mode with networking , but i was unable to see the PPPOE mini port connection that i had set up,  why  that was the case i'm not sure ? As for a reset of the Modem, i take it you mean a reboot/power cycle, ? if so that too has been tried

I again tried safe mode with networking, and attempted to create a new PPPOE connection when in safe mode, but the option  to do this is greyed out  So it's not possible  using safe mode, Probably because the drivers aren't loaded when in safe mode
I have  tried with my software firewall disabled /set to allow all that makes no difference  Within the advanced tab section of the PPPOE connection  Does the option to allow ICS need to be enabled on the PPPOE connection ?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 12:46:21 PM by tommy45 »

loonylion

• Reg Member

I did attempt  to connect using safe mode with networking , but i was unable to see the PPPOE mini port connection that i had set up,  why  that was the case i'm not sure ? As for a reset of the Modem, i take it you mean a reboot/power cycle, ? if so that too has been tried

I again tried safe mode with networking, and attempted to create a new PPPOE connection when in safe mode, but the option  to do this is greyed out  So it's not possible  using safe mode, Probably because the drivers aren't loaded when in safe mode
I have  tried with my software firewall disabled /set to allow all that makes no difference  Within the advanced tab section of the PPPOE connection  Does the option to allow ICS need to be enabled on the PPPOE connection ?

no that's to allow other computers to use the net via your pc.

tommy45

• Reg Member

I did wonder as to what it did, and the absence of any mention of it,in the instructions given by several isp's on what should be needed to create a PPPOE connection and successfully connect to the internet using it ,
Why things can't just work as they are supposed to do i'll never know,
There again why for the life of me BTOR decided upon using PPPOE  i'll never know either what was wrong with PPPOA ?

loonylion

• Reg Member

I did wonder as to what it did, and the absence of any mention of it,in the instructions given by several isp's on what should be needed to create a PPPOE connection and successfully connect to the internet using it ,
Why things can't just work as they are supposed to do i'll never know,
There again why for the life of me BTOR decided upon using PPPOE  i'll never know either what was wrong with PPPOA ?

PPPoA is less efficient and requires additional processing.

tommy45

• Reg Member

I'm sure that i've read that PPPOE Was what you say, and it has a smaller MTU too

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk

PPPoE or PPPoA

The reason we traditionally used PPPoverATM is because the exchange backhaul was ATM as can be seen here

ATM Backhaul .

The "pipe" between your local exchange and where it becomes part of the ATM Cloud.

ATM Cloud (MSiP).

BT's ATM network between various points, which can take many different paths/routes.
It carries traffic in pure ATM form and is called the Multi-Service intranet Platform (MSiP). Since it is impossible to know exactly which route traffic will traverse, an ATM network is depicted as a cloud.

BT's ATM network was originally built in the 1990's to handle traffic for business customers who required such services as intranets on leased lines. Today it also carries IP packets as an ATM stream for internet customers to and from the Colossus backbone.

ATM (Asynchronous Transfer Mode) is a networking technology based on transferring data in cells or packets of a fixed size over a dedicated connection.
The cell used with ATM is relatively small compared to units used with older technologies. The small, constant cell size allows ATM equipment to transmit video, audio, and computer data over the same network, and assure that no single type of data hogs the line.

In the UK BT uses the networking protocol PPPoA (Point-to-Point Protocol over ATM) over this part of the network for the transmission of data packets.

Sometime in the early days of adsl (2003/2004 ish)  BT allowed PPPoE over the ATM network but it had to be emulated which meant it was actually PPPoEoA and therefore not as efficient.

However, the 21CN network is built to coincide with the introduction of  faster speeds (adsl2+) and higher bandwidth requirements.  This was a massive investment by BT costing many millions of £.   The eventual aim was to also carry voice over the IP network, but this has not yet happened.

On 21CN exchanges

~ Exchange Backhaul from the MSAN

The backhaul transmission is SDH with Ethernet traffic encapsulated within GFP (Generic Framing Protocol) and protected using either SNCP or higher layer protection.

The network is tiered, which means that traffic will pass on up through various levels and nodes. MSANs are usually dual parented to the next level to provide some resiliency.

C.MSAN backhaul (Tier 3): Dual parenting to Fibre Access or WDM Access nodes unless impractical
    F.MSAN backhaul (Tier 2): Dual homed. Either to WDM Access node and/or via other FMSAN(s) to WDM.

Depending upon the exchange and its size, the next tier may either be at the same location or at another exchange/PoP higher up in the chain.
Most exchanges (approx 4,400) will be Tier 2 & 3 which will be dual homed to the nearest WDM and/or via other F.MSANs to a WDM.

Hence why PPPoE would be the preferred (only) option when it comes to FTTC/FTTP DSLAMs
ADSL2+ should be able to connect via either protocol at the MSAN.   Can you imagine the nightmare if thousands of users had to reconfigure their modems after their exchange had been upgraded to 21CN.  It doesnt bear thinking about.     :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk

Already done that, didn't work, then as i said i set my lan connection to the defaults auto IP and Auto dns, and still no joy, the pc will not communicate with the BT-OR ECI modem , no lan led activity  on modem or at the ethernet port on the pc  at all whilst the PPPOE mini port connection that i created is allegedly trying to establish a connection,

Ive connected a few time via a PPPoE dialler for testing purposes without issue.  I basically did the steps in that tuturial provided by NewtronStar.

The mention of PPPoE mini port confuses me.   I used the settings from the network wizard:  Connect to the Internet > Broadband PPPoE

The other thing that nags somewhere, is the BT login,  Im sure Ive seen something weird about that in the past.   I take it you have used your @btinternet login information and not whatever the HH has set by default.     
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

custard

• Geeky Dentist

I gave this a go yesterday using windows 7 and my ISP is PlusNet. Unfortunately I could not get it to work. :(.
I tried switching off TR69 and adding the DNS servers for good measure but still no luck.

loonylion

• Reg Member

I'm sure that i've read that PPPOE Was what you say, and it has a smaller MTU too

PPPoE: ethernet frames encapsulated in PPP packets encapsulated in ethernet frames going onto a network that broadly uses ethernet. MTU is 1500

PPPoA: ethernet frames encapsulated in PPP packets encapsulated in ATM frames going on to a network that broadly uses ethernet. MTU is 14xx because of ATM framing overheads. The data has to be extracted from the smaller ATM frames and reassembled into TCP/IP packets before it hits the wider internet.
Pages: [1] 2

anything