Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Firefox 29.0  (Read 6174 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Firefox 29.0
« on: April 29, 2014, 06:39:38 PM »

I have just updated to this and was quite shocked at the big overhaul its had.Seems to look more and more like Chrome now.
Anyone elese tried it yet?

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Re: Firefox 29.0
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 10:42:03 PM »

I just this minute tried it and NO, I don't like it, I might just be rolling back and then disabling the auto-update (again)

But, after saying that whilst typing this I have just noticed where a couple of my add-on icons are which I missed earlier, so there might be some light at the end of the tunnel after-all.

I see the 'Tabs on top' facility has now also been removed. (for moving the tabs so they are below the url/search bar and not on top of them)
Also quite quickly but where is the bottom information bar, I can 'quickly' see any where to display it. (even if it does give me a slightly larger screen)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 12:18:00 AM »

Well gave it a try and didn't like it so as I said earlier I will now leave my FF auto update disabled.

BUT, wow, how did I get back here is another tale which went something like.

1. Tried System Restore but then FF failed to load with a XPCOM error.
2. Tried a different restore point but still the same XPCOM error.
3. Maybe undoing the first restore might have helped but by this time I had already tried the second restore, so problem now rooted on the system.
4. Fortunately I always have Norton Ghost backups to hand so was able to re-ghost the PC back to a earlier time, as obviously a system restore does not restore any of the firefox settings which the update must have installed and from that point onwards was just a total cock-up.

As commented by other people searching for apparently the long stand XPCOM problem, the general replies seem to be uninstalling Firefox followed by reinstalling it.
Not bad considering you have to then use another browser for the install.

Good luck to anyone/everyone as Firefox I think have finally signed their own death knell with this update.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 12:21:45 AM »

Oops...  looks like I have this to come next time I restart my browser

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 12:35:44 AM »

Hopefully it might have just been me wanting my computer the way I like it, other than that I think I said all I needed to say with regards to FF in my last post, so good luck and even hope you can put up with it, or maybe it will be time to start looking at another alternative to IE (which is even looking fairly plausible now)
But that will have to wait until  get back from Morocco in a weeks time. (yep off again)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 07:28:07 AM »

Not sure I like all the changes but at least so far for me on Linux it works.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 07:32:01 AM »

For you OF.   ;D

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 11:16:59 AM »

If you don't like it,try the new Classic Theme Restorer Add-on

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/classicthemerestorer/

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 11:23:52 AM »

Thanks for finding that one Phil. I haven't "upgraded" to 29.0 yet, but that addon looks like a lifesaver if/when I do.
  Eric

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 11:30:10 AM »

Yes, thanks UB.

But what does 'Not available for Firefox 28.0' figure into the situation?
(Taken from the bottom of the first picture from the above link)

Although It's not actually made by FF, but it certainly makes me wonder why they do these upgrades then allow people to run a ad-on that hides the upgrade (or at least some/most of it)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2014, 11:41:04 AM »

I've tried v29.0, but even with the Classic Theme Restorer addon I still couldn't find a way to display the URL of a link when I hover the mouse over it. That tiny feature is one I make a lot of use of, and up to v28 it was possible with the use of the Status-4-Evar addon.
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2014, 11:43:47 AM »

I have been using a day now,yes it looks different but like any new interface it takes time to find your way around.All my add-ons were compatible once upgraded but a few of my 'themes' were not.Just went and found some that are,there are plenty to chose from.
It did crash once this morning but I just submitted a crash report and then restarted.
The 3 bar icon in the top r/h corner(where most of the options are) is very Chrome like and I'm wondering if Firefox is moving in that direction rather than keeping its own identity. :shrug2:

I find this site has some excellent info.

http://www.ghacks.net/2014/04/28/firefox-29-one-new-interface-released-find-new/
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 11:56:23 AM by UncleUB »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2014, 12:01:17 AM »

Well as anticipated, mine updated when I started my browser this evening.

I dont see much change though...  possibly because of the addins I use and my previous set preferences?
For me the only thing that is different is the new "Open Menu" on the top RH side.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2014, 10:13:28 AM »

Well having played around a bit now I have it back how I like it. I like the tabs not on top and I also prefer the status bar at the bottom with my most used extension icons in it so the Classic Theme Restorer allows me to reformat t all. I do however have a largish screen so I'm not bothered about the small extra space taken up. So far I have not had any crashes. I'm running the 64bit version on Linux.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2014, 11:45:01 AM »

Having persevered a bit more, I've worked out how to display the URL of a link in the status bar. So I'm now happy with the result, but still irritated at having to do so much work to get it how I like it. :(
  Eric
Pages: [1] 2