Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: New VDSL2 all in one HG635  (Read 5690 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
New VDSL2 all in one HG635
« on: April 29, 2014, 04:09:54 PM »

Talk Talk are understood to be trialling this "Super router" as they call it. Its main claim to fame is that it supports the latest gigabit WiFi spec 802.11ac. Technical information is hard to come by, but I've been informed that it has a Broadcom chipset, and DSLstats can be made to work with it with a little fiddling.

[Edit] I should perhaps have made clear that this is the Huawei HG635.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 09:56:32 AM by roseway »
  Eric

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: New VDSL2 all in one HG635
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 06:33:17 PM »

Kind of liked the idea of an all in one modem and router for FTTC but recent HH5 flaws has put me off in going down that path for now, would suggest you keep the HG612/ECI modem and a Router to hand if things don't work out.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 06:44:54 PM »

When the FTTC day arrives, I'll certainly be using the HG612 at the outset. I already have a very competent router, the Billion 7800DXL.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 07:14:49 PM »

I know some people like the idea of a separate modem, but for me after a while the novelty wore off and I hankered after a suitable all in one unit to replace 3 separate pieces of hardware - Modem, Router & GbE switch that entailed 3 sets of electric plugs and network cables (plus the extra cable needed for monitoring stats on the HG612.

IMHO the router manufacturers were very slow off the mark in coming up with a suitable solution and its only now we are beginning to see suitable VDSL modem routers enter the UK market. 

Although Im now very happy with my Zyxel, its a bit telling that I had to request new firmware for it to work properly on vdsl.  I doubt your average joe-bloggs would have jumped through the hoops I did and just given up & returned the unit.   I hope that TPlink do better when they release one.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 08:09:21 PM »

It would be nice if the new All in one's had a seperate on and off swich for Modem and Router on the side and the reason why if you have an issue with the router and need to power down your router your also powering down the FTTC modem thats not good  ;)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 09:25:32 PM »

Whilst not a physical switch on the side of the router.

I do have these power options..  which I suppose is a compromise.   

You can also drop the PPP session in most routers which will drop the connection to your ISP yet still remain in sync... 

.....although saying that I havent found out how to do that yet with the Zyxel. :(
There is one button I could press in the GUI, which relates to my IPaddress, but Im unsure if that would cause a full resync or just a new PPPsession.   It must be able to differentiate, because the other week PN dropped all connections on a certain gateway and I automatically came up on a new one without having to resync.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 04:44:05 PM »

given DLM, the nature of VDSL to vary in its performance, I think its wise to keep a seperate modem/router, even tho as kitz pointed out it is extra cables.

If I had a line that was 80/20 with spare snrm I would be less wary, but I dont so I will defenitly keep using the hg612.

There is also future spec changes to think about such as vectoring, will 3rd party router/modem combos work properly? only time will tell.

The extra power cable doesnt annoy me much, but I admit its annoying a gigabit port on my ac66u is wasted on collecting the hg612 stats.  Because of this I have a desktop machine connected to my lan via a BT AC wireless dongle.

anything