Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Texting: delayed receipts  (Read 2438 times)

renluop

• Kitizen
Texting: delayed receipts
« on: April 26, 2014, 04:20:37 PM »

How does texting work? My son was telling of a text sent that did not  to the recipent's phone until two or more days after sending.

Surely no text shou ld take as long as that?::)

loonylion

• Reg Member
Re: Texting: delayed receipts
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 04:37:38 PM »

Texts are sent when there's spare capacity on the network, so if the network is heavily congested they'll be delayed.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 05:54:44 PM »

>> delayed receipts

Can also depend if the recipient has had their phone switched off or network unavailable at the time the text was sent.   

Dad turns his mobile off each night, and Ive repeatedly noticed that when he switches it back on again, it can take a while before any texts that were sent during the time his phone was off, actually get sent to him. 
Its almost like because they weren't able to be sent immediately, then theyre held somewhere which only tries every so often to resend.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 11:14:15 AM »

I did not think to mention that as something I had discarded. I know folk who turn off often experience a delay in message receipt. Thanks both! :)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 10:21:24 PM »

I never turn my phone on much  ;D maybe to take a photo if I have not got one of my camera's with me.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

anything