Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Could I get some advice?  (Read 7769 times)

levitron

Could I get some advice?
« on: April 25, 2014, 03:32:34 PM »

Hello All,

I'm wondering if I could get some advice on what I can do with my connection. I'm currently connected what I believe to be an ADSL MAX connection on my exchange (BERMONDSEY).

As I work from home, it is a requirement for me to have decent speeds (i.e. 10Mbps+ down). However, I'm stuck on a connection that is only, at best, 2Mbps down. It's kind of embarrassing when I drop out of Skype voice calls with my manager simply when my wife starts loading up Facebook on her computer!  :-[ All of the service providers I've spoken to say that I'm limited to that speed.

I've done a little research on my end into the technical aspects of this. This is what I have:

-LJU3/1A faceplate
-between 2-2.8km away from exchange
-SNR Margin (dB):   15.1(up)   1.7(down)
-Line Attenuation (dB):   37.4(up)   62(down)

This is an image of my faceplate:

Should I ask my provider (plusnet) to assist in upgrading this faceplate? Would it matter at all?

Thanks in advance!

• Reg Member
Re: Could I get some advice?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 03:44:19 PM »

Is that your master socket?

levitron

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 03:48:31 PM »

Is that your master socket?

As far as I can tell, that is my master socket. There are no other sockets in my flat.

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 03:50:05 PM »

Are you connected directly, using a filter,and not using any extensions?

levitron

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 03:54:50 PM »

Are you connected directly, using a filter,and not using any extensions?

This is how I'm connected right now:

Faceplate > ADSL Filter

ADSL Filter > Phone line extension > Phone
                > Modem/Router

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 03:57:29 PM »

Can you get line statistic from your router? What router do you use?, you probably have a large amount of errors with such a low downstream snr. What is your sync speed? Any audible noise on the phone line?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 03:58:48 PM »

The real problem is the line attenuation (62 dB downstream). That will limit you to ~ 2 Mbps. You might be able to improve the speed a bit by optimising your internal wiring, but it will only be a tiny improvement if any. I'm sorry to say that, as things stand at present, you're stuck with the low speed.

One possible hope is that you might be able to get VDSL2 ('superfast broadband') either now or at some time in the near future. If you enter your postcode here, you will see what the position is.
  Eric

levitron

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 04:09:02 PM »

Can you get line statistic from your router? What router do you use?, you probably have a large amount of errors with such a low downstream snr. What is your sync speed? Any audible noise on the phone line?

I'm on a TP-Link TD-W8980. No audible noise that I can hear.

The real problem is the line attenuation (62 dB downstream). That will limit you to ~ 2 Mbps. You might be able to improve the speed a bit by optimising your internal wiring, but it will only be a tiny improvement if any. I'm sorry to say that, as things stand at present, you're stuck with the low speed.

One possible hope is that you might be able to get VDSL2 ('superfast broadband') either now or at some time in the near future. If you enter your postcode here, you will see what the position is.

That's what I'm afraid of :( I've used that postcode checker numerous times and my exchange is marked as "Accepting Orders" but nothing is available. Using the BT Broadband Availability Checker I see this:

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 04:14:47 PM »

Have you tried configuring the router to adsl, gdmt, to see if its any better, should be more stable?

levitron

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 04:26:21 PM »

Have you tried configuring the router to adsl, gdmt, to see if its any better, should be more stable?

Just tried that; no difference unfortunately.

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 04:30:20 PM »

The stats didn't change at all?, its due to the low snr thats causing the internet to be unresponsive at times and why skype drops. Could ask isp for a snr reset to 6db, will sync lower but you will have a more constant speed, as the errors are probably costing alot of your throughput. :)

levitron

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2014, 04:48:07 PM »

The stats didn't change at all?, its due to the low snr thats causing the internet to be unresponsive at times and why skype drops. Could ask isp for a snr reset to 6db, will sync lower but you will have a more constant speed, as the errors are probably costing alot of your throughput. :)

I'll have it set to G.dmt for now and see if that improves.

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2014, 04:52:14 PM »

Could you post your current stats?

levitron

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2014, 04:56:15 PM »

Hmm...does look a little better!

But still similar speeds. Haven't had a chance to do a Skype call yet, so will have to see if that improves the stability.

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2014, 05:24:57 PM »

Those stats look an awful lot better you will probably have to wait for the ip profile to catch up, could take up to 3 days, but your snr is higher, so should be more stable and you have a higher sync speed. ;D You should as long as you keep the router on achieve 3mb, Skype should also work better although skype is also affected by latency AFAIK
Pages: [1] 2

anything