Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Unlimited Faster Broadband?  (Read 4478 times)

Ducky

Unlimited Faster Broadband?
« on: April 25, 2014, 11:54:46 AM »

Following on from an earlier thread about UFB, I thought I'd post some stats to see if this looks ok.  :)

Had UFB installed on the 8th April, as Infinity2 wasn't available here (I had it in my old house, moved earlier this year).  Originally when I was inquiring about what may be available, BT said I should see 13-19Mb, but as we all know until it actually goes live you never know what you might get!!

So engineer came and installed a Mk2 faceplate in what we thought was the master socket, along with a HH5, and it was making 6Mb, which dropped down to about 4.5Mb after a day or so.  I did notice that since the HH5 was updated in the first day to firmware 1.6, it started rebooting a lot, so I swapped it out for my previous HH3 and 612 modem (which I unlocked after reading this forum).

My line was showing a lot of errors, and the max speed was shown as about 10000kbps on the 612, so I had a look at the phone lines and found the real master socket in the loft!!!  So I removed the extensions coming from it and moved the Mk2 faceplate onto that one!  Straight away I had a jump in the max speed reading on the 612 to about 16000Kbps, however this has since dropped and it floats between 12500Kpbs and 14500Kbps.

I've since left everything running 'as is' to see if DLM does anything, and in the last day my 612 reported a jump in the actual connection to about 9998Kbps, however I'm still connecting at about 7500Kbps which matches my BT IP Profile on their tester.

I'm wondering if I continue to leave it will my speed increase more, and if so how do I access it (reset IP Profile)?

Stats below if anyone is interested, my dslstats crashes every so often and I have to start again :(

Ducky

Re: Unlimited Faster Broadband?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 01:07:33 PM »

Interesting, I decided to reboot the HH3 to see if it would pickup the new speeds from the 612, and it has!

My IP Profile has increased to 9.68Mbs, but upload is still only doing 0.53Mbs even though the US Rate IP profile is 2Mbs!

Still at least it's going in the right direction  :) hopefully it will get a bit quicker and it would be nice if the upload improved.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 05:18:29 PM »

BT's IP Profile should be around 96.79% of sync speed.

Sometimes the router/hub needs a restart to force an updated IP Profile.

96.79% of your current sync speed of 9.998 Mbps is indeed 9.68 Mbps.

Such a low speed suggests you must be quite a distance from the cabinet.

Do you know the distance?

I would hazard a guess at around 1600 to 1700m or so.

Usually, US sync speed takes quite a hit on longer connections.

I have seen typically around 0.4 Mbps to 0.5 Mbps on connections that can only provide DS sync speeds of around 10 Mbps.

However, as you have DS SNRM of 8.9dB & US SNRM of 10dB, it would appear that your connection speeds have been capped by DLM.

Given time (2 weeks or so), DLM MIGHT relent & allow slightly higher sync speeds (target SNRM for VDSL2 connections is 6 dB for DS & US).

Occasionally, DLM doesn't ever seem to relent & the only way to obtain the higher speeds that your connection's attainable rates suggest is to request a DLM 'reset'.
This can currently only be arranged by an engineer, usually requiring a home visit.

Please note that the error counts reported in the HG612's GUI are incorrect.

The 'real' data has to be obtained via the DSLStats & HG612 Modem Stats programs or via running this command in a telnet session:-

xdslcmd info --stats.

Whilst in a telnet session the pbParams data can be obtained via:-

xdslcmd info --pbParams (case sensitive).

Also, the HG612's firmware version can be obtained via:-

xdslcmd --version.

HTH a little & welcome to the forum  :)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 05:58:51 PM »

Hi Ducky

I was not expecting to see an SNR tone Graph like yours it's all over the place and TBH it's my first insight to what the Faster BroadBand looks like  :-\

Just wondering what the blue tones are as green is UpStream and red is DownStream if I think back to before october pre Modem firmware update I had some blue tones, I am guessing your still using older firmware on the HG612 ?

and thanks for posting your Graphs  :)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 07:54:28 PM by NewtronStar »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 12:43:29 PM »

The blue tones are tones which are either unallocated in the band plan, or they are tones which are present in two overlapping bands.
  Eric

Ducky

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 02:36:36 PM »

Hi Ducky I am guessing your still using older firmware on the HG612 ?

and thanks for posting your Graphs  :)

Hi NewTronStar,

I'm using the SP10 firmware that's linked from this site on the 612 unlocking instructions page.  I don't know if that's older or current.  :D

cheers
:)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 07:39:27 PM »

@thanks Roseway for blue tone explanation  ;)

I take it that firmware (SP10) you have is Wolfys bcm96368MVWG_fs_kernel_HG612V100R001C01B028SP10_no-btagent so it's blocking BT's update which is good as you will lose the HG612 GUI and maybe telnet.

The New firmware as of October 2013 is Wolfys bcm96368MVWG_fs_kernel_HG612V100R001C01B030SP06_unlocked&GUI

I was just thinking if the new firmware may help your line as it seems to help people like me on longer lines though I am not sure how well it will help you on a even longer line.

It may be something to look into when you have given the DLM time to adjust your line.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 07:46:20 PM by NewtronStar »

Ducky

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 10:42:55 AM »

Thinking about it, I'm not sure..this is the file name of the firmware I downloaded (it was from a link on this site to a 612 unlocking page - just checked).

bcm96368MVWG_fs_kernel_HG612V100R001C01B028SP10unlocked002

I only unlocked the modem in the last few weeks, so would that not have been the latest version...the gui is still working and it's been online over a week now.

Might be worth a go then once DLM chills out.  Do you know of any stats in dslstats that may give an idea how long my line is?

thanks
:)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 05:46:39 PM »

Thinking about it, I'm not sure..this is the file name of the firmware I downloaded (it was from a link on this site to a 612 unlocking page - just checked).

bcm96368MVWG_fs_kernel_HG612V100R001C01B028SP10unlocked002

I only unlocked the modem in the last few weeks, so would that not have been the latest version...the gui is still working and it's been online over a week now.

It my maybe worth reading through this thread http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=13130.0 it will give you the information relating to the Newer Firmware.

Do you know of any stats in dslstats that may give an idea how long my line is?

unfortunately even though we can see the Line Attenuation: dB its not so straight forward as it was on ADSl to formulate the distance using the the Kitz Calculator on FTTC.

I have a Line Attenuation: of 24.7dB and I think the distance is 900/1000 meters from cabinet
Even if you know which FTTC Cabinet your connected to and do a trace by road you could be 100 - 300 meters off the real distance.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 07:43:00 PM by NewtronStar »

Ducky

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2014, 09:14:04 PM »

Just thought I'd keep this thread updated, connection jumped again in the last day, got a couple more Mb!  :)  Fingers crossed it creeps up a bit more, as there is still some leeway to be had I reckon!

I have noticed that my line is quite noisy though (has been since I've had it) with a humming in the background.  I raised a fault with BT earlier this week, so be interested to see if they find anything, and how it might affect my line.

Ducky

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2014, 01:06:37 PM »

Thought I'd update this thread with the latest findings....

I raised a call with BT at the beginning of May as my line has been noisy since it was installed!  Fortunately it turned out there was a problem with the cable in the street!  Where they are connected in the road, it was submerged and full of silt (there is a river near that floods the road if the weather is really bad).  So it took them about 5 weeks to change the cable, but they did keep me updated every week which was nice.

After the cable was changed I did the quiet line test and it was dead silent!  ;D  Now my 612 reports the max speed capable at just under 20Mb and hardly any errors, which is higher then they estimated so that's great!

However I'm currently waiting for DLM to speed back up, it was at 4Mb after the work, and has crept up to 11Mb now (over 2 weeks), so fingers crossed it will eventually creep up to somewhere near the max.

Funny though the upstream still seems to sit low at about 700kb out of a max of about 1700Mb.

Still, was worth the call to BT in the end!  :)

anything