Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Second line LJU2a to NTE5a  (Read 3857 times)

funkydan

Second line LJU2a to NTE5a
« on: April 21, 2014, 06:26:26 PM »

Hi all.
I'm new here and have seen some interesting and helpful posts. I can't see any posts that relate to my question.
Just as a matter of interest can someone help with what the wiring to a NTE5a master socket on a second phone line would be?
There are 2 lines in a property. They are 2 different telephone lines. Different phone numbers and different accounts with BT. Even though they share the same drop cable entering the property they are independent of each other.
The drop cable has a small box attached to it. There are 2 cables exiting from this box.
The first cable runs to a NTE5. This is the main phone line. It is connected to the NTE5 with just the 2 blue/white wires going to the A & B terminals.
The second cable is for the 2nd line. It bypasses the NTE5 on the main line and it runs to a LJU2/2a master in another room. It is connected with the blue/white combination wires and green/white combination wires.
From reading up it seems that the green/white combination wires are what separate the 2 different lines making them independent of each other?
The connections on the LJU2a on the second line are:

1-green/white
2-blue/white
5-white/blue
6-white/green

There are also red/white, white/red wires but these are not connected to anything.

On the back of a NTE5a box there are only 2 IDC terminals. A and B. These would be for the blue/white white/blue wires i presume. There is nowhere to connect the green/white, white/green wires. So connecting just the blue and white combinations means the line would not be connected and telephone and broadband services would not work.

Now if a BT engineer was to connect a NTE5a how would they connect the blue/white, white/blue and the green/white, white/green wires?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Second line LJU2a to NTE5a
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 06:34:17 PM »

If you've got two lines you need two master sockets. You can't wire both into the same NTE/5A. The blue/white pair is one line, and the green/white pair is the second line, and they're independent. If I understand your description properly, the green/white pair needs to be connected to a second NTE/5A.
  Eric

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 06:58:54 PM »

As I read it , the spliiter box where the dropwire enters the premises has two internal cables leaving ?? It reads like one of these provides the service to one circuit, and the other provides service to the other circuit ??

Therefore, only the blue white/ white blue wires would be used. The green white/ white green wires are redundant. You could prove this quite easily by disconnecting them from your existing line jack unit and then make and receive a call.

funkydan

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 04:35:03 PM »

Thank you for your replies.

As I read it , the spliiter box where the dropwire enters the premises has two internal cables leaving ??

Correct.

It reads like one of these provides the service to one circuit, and the other provides service to the other circuit ??

Correct.

Therefore, only the blue white/ white blue wires would be used. The green white/ white green wires are redundant. You could prove this quite easily by disconnecting them from your existing line jack unit and then make and receive a call.

1st i connected the 2nd circuit blue/white wire to terminal B and the white/blue to terminal A on the NTE5a with a telephone/adsl splitter faceplate. No other wires connected.

I tried dialling my mobile phone from the landline. It did not connect. There was no audible ringing from the landline earpiece and my mobile phone did not ring. When calling the landline from my mobile phone i could hear the ringing on the mobile phone earpiece but the landline telephone did not ring. The router showed there was no ADSL connection either.

2nd i tried with the original faceplate just plugging in the landline. The result was the same.

3rd i plugged the telephone into the test socket. Same result.

4th i by-passed the NTE5 box and connected the blue/white pair (no other wires) to the A/B terminals directly on the back of the faceplate. Same result.

5th i ran the NTE5 as an extension from the existing line jack connecting from the blue/white pair from 2 & 5 terminals and connecting them to the A/B terminal on the NTE5. The telephone then worked fine making and receiving calls. The router still showed the was no ADSL signal.

All very strange!

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 06:11:51 PM »

It is now time for you to show us your photographic skills, please.  ;)

In particular, clear pictures (showing each individual wire colour and to where it is connected) will be required of:
  • The inside of the LJU2/A.
  • The inside of the junction box, to which the incoming service feed enters and the two separate internal cables issue there from.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 06:41:33 PM »

Ha ha ha, B*Cat ……… you took the very words out of my mouth. There is no good reason why my initial post wouldn't have worked for Mr Funky ?? There may be evil at work ??  ;) ;D

Yeah absolutely, piccies would now be the best way forward, please.  :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 08:40:49 PM »

Indeedy, Mr Sheep.

It might also be worthwhile suggesting that the physical path of the cable (from the junction box to the LJU2/A) be followed, closely, just in case there is some intermediate item currently in situ and thus responsible for the evil mischief . . .
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

funkydan

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 10:44:43 PM »

Hey guys.

It is all working now. I tried again this evening with terminating the blue/white pairs to the A/B sockets on the NTE5 and it all works fine. Maybe when i tried the other day the IDC tool hadn't pushed a wire in properly.
The reason for all this is between 7 and 8 pm every evening my internet drops out every 4 minutes. This lasts for around 2 hours. I watch the connection on my router and as soon as the up time hits 4 minutes bang it disconnects and then re-syncs. My ISP have had a line test done and that showed no errors. They have said it could be the filter or the router. I wanted to fit an NTE5 with a splitter faceplate to see if it will cure it before having to splash out on a new router.
Unfortunately it is still happening hence my late reply  :(

Thank you for your expert help.  :)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 07:23:54 AM »

Thanks for the feedback Mr Funky.

It may be REIN that is causing your woes, especially if there's a set pattern to the drops ?? Haven't time to go into it, but I'm sure one of the others will kindly explain ?? ;D

funkydan

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 04:05:16 PM »

Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise (REIN)

I've had a little look into it. Currently trying to dig out an AM radio to do some detective work although I am pointing my finger at my router at the moment.
Along with the dropouts If i turn the router off and then on it won't connect to ADSL. I have to log into the router, go to the DSL settings, change the DSL connection to ADSL2, let it reboot, change it back to ADSL2+ and then it connects. I have contacted the manufacturer as the router is less than a year old. I did try this with the NTE5 when it wouldn't connect the first time i hooked it up in case you were wondering  ::)

Cheers  :)

anything