Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Trying to diagnose a possible REIN fault  (Read 9179 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Trying to diagnose a possible REIN fault
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2014, 03:57:35 PM »

I'm not ignoring your question, Henry . . . but Black Sheep has really said everything for me. (And coming from an Openreach technician of such standing, there is nothing else for me to really say. ;)  )

HR or semiconducting joints will always start out by making their presence known in an intermittent fashion. An incoming call (by virtue of the application of the "ringing" voltage to the line) will often clear such an intermittent fault -- as explained by JGO. It is only when the fault has become "hard" and permanent does it become a somewhat easier task to locate the affected joint(s).   
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

HenryVee

• Just arrived
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2014, 05:03:40 PM »

Guys thanks for I the advice. Very much appreciated. I'll put the notion it's a REIN fault out of my head. I guess I was just desperate for some explanation to a problem that's been plaguing me for a long time.

I'll keep reporting it but I suspect I will have to wait a lot longer till it deteriates to such as a fashion as the issue is taken seriously by BT

Cheers again

Henry

JGO

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2014, 10:16:12 PM »

Two points.

1) I understand BT gives more attention to HR joints.

2) Location is much easier than for REIN using reflectometry.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2014, 09:59:01 AM »

B*Cat ....  :blush:.

Henry, as JGO has mentioned reflectometry is the preferred method of location for a HR-type condition. The problem is identifying its location when the HR is miniscule.

The reflectometer (or, TDR as it's more commonly referred to amongst engineers), not only displays HR conditions on its screen, it also highlights poundage changes (where one cable is jointed to another of a different size). If you are lets say, 4Km from the Exchange, that's a lot of cable joints that could be mistaken for a HR fault.

The key to locating a miniscule HR is to apply an old-fashioned TDR to the circuit at the EU's end, and ring the circuit number using your mobile phone. The HR can usually be seen as a tiny 'peak' rising and falling. You have to have eyes like the proverbial toilet-rat to see these sometimes ???

The reason I mention an old-fashioned TDR should be used, is the newer JDSU (cant speak for the EXFO) meter mistakes the ringing AC voltage as dangerous voltage, and flashes that very message up on the TDR screen so nothing else can be viewed.

Cheers, and good luck with getting a decent engineer.  :)

konrado5

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2014, 12:29:36 PM »

Are HR faults noticable in Hlog?

Best regards
konrado5

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2014, 04:14:01 PM »

Depends.   Mine didnt show anything much in the hlog.

The problem is hlog can show dips at particular frequencies which can be attributable to several different things, but can help pinpoint corroded joints or bridge taps (which echo back down the line).   Even my severely corroded terminal in the BT66 didnt show up anything too unusual in my hlog.

BS has already given an explanation of how HR faults are located.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2014, 04:14:49 PM »

Are HR faults noticable in Hlog?

I have never detected such a defect by examining an Hlog graph.  :no:

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2014, 04:46:20 PM »

If you are using DSLstats you may see the HR fault show up in realtime in the CRC Upstream Graph when your telephone rings there should be a large green spike, and I myself have and HR fault but it's small one at the moment.

Hope this helps.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2014, 06:14:20 PM »

. . . in the CRC Upstream Graph when your telephone rings . . .

Or the DS CRC graph.  :)

Good suggestion, NS:thumbs:

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2014, 06:33:30 PM »

. . . in the CRC Upstream Graph when your telephone rings . . .

Or the DS CRC graph.  :)

Good suggestion, NS:thumbs:

Indeed... sorry I got distracted...  and should have said myself  :-[

Yes spikes all over the show on SNRm are the most common symptom.  Like NS, when I had the HR fault, my upstream SNRm fluctuated by anything up to 10dB and when the phone rang it would sometimes cause a loss of sync - despite having an SNRm of 20dB to play with.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2014, 09:04:27 PM »

I've also noticed the Upstream CRC errors jump to 120 errors per min, when the phone rings cant view changes in us snr as router doesn't support this. Also seems weird when lifted neighbours phone there was a spike in SNR, could be coincidence? Tonight couple of jumps
(Sorry not trying to hijack the thread) :D
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 09:07:29 PM by Loading »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2014, 08:20:50 PM »

I've also noticed the Upstream CRC errors jump to 120 errors per min, when the phone rings cant view changes in us snr as router doesn't support this. Also seems weird when lifted neighbours phone there was a spike in SNR, could be coincidence? Tonight couple of jumps
(Sorry not trying to hijack the thread) :D

We know your not trying to Hijack the thread  ;D as BlackSheep & Kitz has said in numerous threads the HR fault issue must become alot worse like serious Voice issues and BroadBand disconnections for the OR engineer to clearly find the point of where problem lays and correct it, if you act to quickly it becomes what I call an ORE chase for a fault that can't be easily picked up and you may see 1-7 visits by OR engineers and passing your line as OK.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 08:32:48 PM by NewtronStar »

• Reg Member
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2014, 08:50:26 PM »

So even with the errors jumping to 120crc per min, could the engineer not test in different locations on the line, whilst calling on the line?

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2014, 09:51:29 PM »

So even with the errors jumping to 120crc per min, could the engineer not test in different locations on the line, whilst calling on the line?

I am sure the TDR will see it but it's upto the individual OR Engineer personel to act on there findings or just pass the line as ok as the errors are very small it's all down to time and costs and Quality go's out the window as BT is a company that wants to make a profit so an OR engineer spending 2 hours to find why 120 CRC's occur while the phones rings may result in a lower profit for BT Openreach if all engineers did a indepth check on all EU lines.

• Reg Member
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2014, 08:47:07 AM »

I understand what you are saying, but I would like them to return the speeds we were having previously, and remove the noise clicking, hissing
Pages: 1 [2] 3