Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Curious wifi problem  (Read 2588 times)

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
Curious wifi problem
« on: April 18, 2014, 02:23:13 AM »

Curious problem earlier :

Previously reliable PC connecting via wifi was running very slowly, often timing out.  Attempting to connect to router web interface would also time out.  If I could get it to load, speedtest.net was reporting 0.3Mbps download speed (NOT normal!).

Wifi signal was strong.  I used Metageek InSSIDer to show that there was no channel overlap with neighbours etc.  All looked good, yet connectivity was abysmal.

Meanwhile, an Android phone was able to connect to wifi and view iPlayer without problem.

I decided the fault must be with the PCI wireless card, and so resorted to ordering a new one (didn't have spare to test) as I couldn't see what else was wrong.

Out of curiosity, I've just rechecked, and found.. it's all working fine now.

speedtest.net reports 22ms ping, 16.40Mbps down and 0.85Mbps UP on the wireless, compared to 24ms ping, 16.62Mpbs Down and 0.86 Mbps UP on the wired conection.  ie there's no difference.

Well, there's now a new card on order, but does the team think the problem is/was a failing card that's giving it's last gasp, or some strange interference causing such an abysmal wifi performance earlier?

Ian

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
Re: Curious wifi problem
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 02:35:09 AM »

Forget that, it's failing again.

Seems likely it's last gasp of a PCI wireless card.

Ian

JGO

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 06:52:50 AM »

er, it could be an iffy card socket ?

Happy Easter anyway.

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 11:33:44 PM »

Personally I find I get much better performance from desktop wifi if I buy an Intel pro/wireless 4965AGN mini-pcie (easily available on Ebay for not a lot of cash for those not living in Yorkshire. Yorkshiremen may consider it expensive :p) and put it in an adapter card (available for peanuts on Ebay). My experience is that intel make the best wireless chips hands down.

Having said that, one of the first things we were taught at university in the wireless networking module is that wireless can and does intermittently stop working for no apparent reason, it's just the nature of the beast.

EDIT: Noticed I wrote mini-pci when it should have been mini-pcie. Oops.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 02:26:26 PM by loonylion »

JGO

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 11:43:35 AM »

Having said that, one of the first things we were taught at university in the wireless networking module is that wireless can and does intermittently stop working for no apparent reason, it's just the nature of the beast.

NO !  There is always an explanation for anything, although finding it can be a pig, which is why some people (from Lancashire ?! ) prefer to believe in magic.  In another thread there is an account of a WiFi link which would only work in the mornings. The explanation is obvious, when you know !

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 02:15:53 PM »

A rather surprisingly quick delivery - the replacement wifi card arrived today, so I'll fit it later and see if the card really was faulty :)

I had tried the old one in a different PCI slot, and initially seemed to be working again, but soon started playing up. 

The board I ordered is the same model as the old one, a TP-Link WN751ND, chosen due to cost and convenience.  Interestingly, the new one is a V2.0, the old one is V1.1 and there are significant changes on the circuit board, so perhaps this new one is more reliable?  :-\

Ian

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 08:09:33 PM »

which is why some people (from Lancashire ?! ) prefer to believe in magic.

:P   I'd love to believe in magic, it would make life so much easier :P

*wonders if JGO is from Yorkshire :D

the replacement wifi card arrived today,

Hope it works ian :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 10:36:28 PM »

the replacement wifi card arrived today,

Hope it works ian :)

Yep all working now  :drink:

The new card has a 3 year warranty, and I think the old one did as well, so I shall have a look at returning the old one.

Ian

anything