Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Power (dBm) or (dBmV) explanation  (Read 2864 times)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Power (dBm) or (dBmV) explanation
« on: April 17, 2014, 08:02:05 PM »

Hello Guys & Girls and happy Easter  ;D

I would like to understand how the Power dBm / dBmV works on BroadBand and as it's shown on most monitering programs it must be very important

All I know at the moment from research is it's decibels and millivolts (power ratio) and SNR seem to be part of this equation.

So lets give you my Power dBmV > 11.1 Downstream and 0.6 Upstream, and please could you put this in laymans terms  ;)

Cheers 
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 08:07:40 PM by NewtronStar »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Power (dBm) or (dBmV) explanation
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 08:40:09 PM »

I wrote a little bit about it here.   

It is important, because the more power supplied, then the higher your SNR(m) will be, thus a higher sync speed.    Our routers have the ability to up the power slightly if its struggling after say bitswap or errors.  On adsl2+ its not uncommon to see 18dB upon sync but after time it may ramp up to 20dB.

However.....  it should be bourne in mind that PSD masks play a huge part in this process too and will cut back power on shorter lines.   The PSD masks are much an undisclosed feature..  all I know is there are supposed to be 5 different profiles depending upon line length (for adsl/adsl2+), but I dont know any actual parameters or what tones are masked.  At one time I searched to find out more information but drew complete blanks on this subject.

When it comes to VDSL  the PSD masks are different again.. and further complicated by multiple sub-channels, each having what appear to be their own parameters.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 10:46:13 PM »

The units for measuring power are dBmW (normally just referred to as dBm), not dBmV. I wrote a short explanation here: http://wiki.kitz.co.uk/index.php/Decibels#Decibels_used_as_power_measurement

Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 12:59:15 AM »

N*Star -- You might like to take a look at the last few posts to this thread, where 4c and b*cat were wittering on about this & that and the relationship between power (expressed as dBmW) & voltage (expressed as mV) of an audio circuit.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 01:03:57 AM »

Many thanks Kitz and Eric & my big Black cat BC for responding back, I am finding it hard to get my head around dBm and I am reading both your links it may take a few nights for it to sink into the grey matter, it's something I look at in the stats but don't really understand what it meens and how to interpret those figures from one line to another  ???
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 01:07:02 AM by NewtronStar »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 01:41:19 AM »

Hesitantly, I offer a link to a Wikipedia page on dBmW . . .

That page provides links to other related topics and, as a result of following them, etc, etc, one will eventually end up reading about stendec::)

(As with any foray into Wikipedia, the result is a rapid deviation which ultimately homes into Mornington Crescent:-X  )
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 06:46:44 PM »

Hesitantly, I offer a link to a Wikipedia page on dBmW . . .

That page provides links to other related topics and, as a result of following them, etc, etc, one will eventually end up reading about stendec::)

I have to say BC thats was a good read  ;D

anything