Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ADSL2 disconnections - Netgear DGN220v3  (Read 1971 times)

cassiejm

• Just arrived
ADSL2 disconnections - Netgear DGN220v3
« on: April 18, 2014, 07:25:24 PM »

Some advice please.

I have been experiencing drops in my ADSL connection.  On reporting the issue to my ISP, they advised the connection had been dropping since early March!  In fact, I didn't notice at all - just put it down to a sluggish wi fi signal whilst using my tablet or laptop away from the main computer/router.  It was when I was actually using the desktop did I realise what was happening on the router itself - adsl training light flashing briefly towards the end of March.   I've been checking through my router logs and have noticed that these drops only last for about 7 seconds at a time before reconnecting.  In the Netgear stats, the system up time remains does not show any disconnection at all, with the WAN (PPPoA?) showing new session time until it drops out again.  Have also been running RouterStats to monitor my connection.

ISP have ran diagnostics on the line and it comes back clear etc and advised : 
    - Replace filters/replace router/connect to Test Socket on Master/agree to a BT visit
    - Replaced the filter/s - had a further 10 disconnections the very next day - so not that
    - Connected router to Test Socket and replaced filter/s again just in case.  Using dect phone adsl dropped - replaced with corded phone so the 'new' adsl filter (came with router duff)  back to original filter - OK
    - Used telephone for over 30 mins, adsl dropped out again
    - Router back in situ on normal socket - remained stable until last night (9 days)[/li]

The only thing I have not done is replace the router as I do not currently have a router which I am confident is OK.  It looks as though I'll have to get yet another router to try.

Obviously the DLM has kicked in and has raised the D/S to SNR 6 from 3 (OK not too bothered) and imposed interleaving at 96 -U/S has remained unchanged and I'm assuming this is the reason why the connection is now fairly stable.   

In May last year exactly the same happened:  dropped PPPoA connections, nothing on line diagnostics, possible faulty router, recommend BT visit to sort etc.  Router was replaced which did seem to do the trick albeit some 3 months later.  Obviously I am reluctant to go to the expense of a BT/OR visit unless absolutely necessary.

Could the router be on it's way out after only 11 months or is there anything else which could be amiss??

Thanks for reading this drawn out saga!

[/list]

Blackeagle

• Reg Member
Re: ADSL2 disconnections - Netgear DGN220v3
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 07:48:45 PM »

You say you have been running RouterStats to monitor.  Graphs of the SNR, connection speed and errors, particularly those that show a re-sync would be helpful.

System uptime is the time the router has been powered on for.  This is not the same as the time a ppp (wan) connection has been in session for.

You mention using a DECT phone and a corded phone.  Was this for a 'quiet line test' or to see if the ADSL dropped when you were making a phone call ?

If you were running at 3dB SNRm on fastpath, your line must have been relatively clean.  It's possible that your issues are just down to more lines causing crosstalk, but again, graphs of 'before' and 'after' would aid a diagnosis.
ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI -- TalkTalk Broadband since 2006

cassiejm

• Just arrived
Re: ADSL2 disconnections - Netgear DGN2200v3
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 04:32:51 PM »

Thanks for coming back and for explaining the 'uptime' on the router which helps me realise that I have been looking at the right place for noting a PPP disconnection.

I've attached some graphs obtained from RouterStats which hopefully will provide some more information to those who understand these things better than I!!  Sorry there are quite a lot of them but not all.  There have been several other drops being recorded in the Netgear router log which for whatever reason have not been picked up on RouterStats - maybe because the drop/reconnection is only for about 7 seconds at a time??

http://s1172.photobucket.com/user/1camali5/library/adsl%202014

Yes, both the Dect and corded phones were used for the QLT and Ring Back to test the line .  Used my mobile as well which resulted in the adsl dropping.  In fact the last time the line dropped out was on 08.04 during a call received from Canada which lasted about 30 mins.  Adsl dropped about 12-15 mins into call.  I have included this in the RouterStats graphs. 

I do appreciate that my line is very good here.  I'm very close to the 'Cabinet'  I just find it a bit strange that exactly the same thing happened about 11 months ago, dropped PPPoA sessions etc as explained previously.

Any recommendations/suggestions would be most appreciated

thanks 

J

anything