Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Pc Linux 2007  (Read 14776 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Pc Linux 2007
« on: January 16, 2008, 10:20:09 PM »

Hello.
I have downloaded the Pc Linux 2007 iso (from ie ), Burt it to a CD, Got an error message, told it to continue (yes I know I should not ) , tried to install it and yes we got a error that it could not find some file .

I have re-burnt it and get even more error messages.

Tried to download the check-sum (from ie site ) but it does not seam to download.
Can I only use the check sum From ie. ? or can I try to get one from another repository ?.

Testing on a old (win2K ) test machine with TWO hard drives 1.3 & 10 gig.
Is it best to remove/ disconnect the 1.3 ?
Will Linux detect the two HDD ?
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Pc Linux 2007
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 10:49:03 PM »

Problems of this sort are almost always due to either a corrupted download or a bad burn. I don't know why you should have problems getting the MD5Sum, but here it is: cf31f44513c9b30caaa1f1d2c382c033 . You can get a Windows MD5Sum program Here.

When you've got a verified download you just need to burn it as an image to a CD, and it may help to burn at a low speed to ensure a good result, although this shouldn't really be necessary.

The installer should have no problems recognising both disk drives, but depending on which one is the master drive you may have to tell it which one to use or it may select it correctly on its own.
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 11:18:43 PM »

Problems of this sort are almost always due to either a corrupted download or a bad burn. I don't know why you should have problems getting the MD5Sum, but here it is: cf31f44513c9b30caaa1f1d2c382c033 . You can get a Windows MD5Sum program Here.

When you've got a verified download you just need to burn it as an image to a CD, and it may help to burn at a low speed to ensure a good result, although this shouldn't really be necessary.

The installer should have no problems recognising both disk drives, but depending on which one is the master drive you may have to tell it which one to use or it may select it correctly on its own.

Thanks Eric .
May be I have not used a check sum before  :-\,  When I click the link all I got was the same numbers/ figures as you above.
What do I do with them ?
Or shall I get check sum from via your link.
How do I use it ?.

I use ImgBurn   www.imgburn.com   it's great for burning images to disks at x4 and it's free  :)
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 07:34:45 AM »

I don't know anything about Windows MD5Sum programs, but basically what you do is apply the program to the downloaded .iso image and compare the result with the value provided by the download site. If they don't match you have a corrupted download. In Linux I just type "md5sum -b downloadedimage.iso".
  Eric

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 11:53:51 AM »

I'm just about to install the Gnome 2.21.2 version of PCLinuxOS on an old machine today so that'll be interesting.

tickmike - MD5 is a hash function. Hash functions are one-way (in theory*) mathematical functions where it is impossible (in theory*) to determine the input to the function from the outputted hash. In practice this means that you can't alter the data put into the function such that you get the same MD5 hash output from the function.

For things like this the MD5 hash is used to verify that what you've downloaded is EXACTLY what was originally put in the download location - ie it verifies that nobody has altered the distribution iso file at a later date or in transit to you, which is more for security reasons than for failed download reasons. You don't "do" anything with it unless it doesn't match, in which case you try downloading again and if the MD5 hash still doesn't match then you should contact whoever is responsible for the distro to find out what is going on :)

*in practice there are "hash collisions" which mess the theory up somewhat. One day I might resurrect/update the encryption articles I did for The Caretaker's site a few years ago. If I get very very bored indeed :D

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 08:49:11 PM »

After re-writing the CD Rom, I have got it working running from Ram, :)
 Come to install to HDD It says "Double-click the desktop icon "Install PCLinuxOS"." But there is no Icon !, On the 'Guest' or 'Root' settings.  :(
Is there a Terminal or some method to install to HDD ?.

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 08:55:48 PM »

There was an Install Wizard icon on the desktop of the Guest account in the Gnome edition. I assume that's not there on the KDE edition?

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 09:07:21 PM »

There was an Install Wizard icon on the desktop of the Guest account in the Gnome edition. I assume that's not there on the KDE edition?

I think it should be.

I have found the 'Console' but do not know the command line to put in.

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 09:29:10 PM »

I believe /usr/sbin/draklive-install is the command.

You need root privileges obviously.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 09:50:17 PM »

I believe /usr/sbin/draklive-install is the command.

You need root privileges obviously.

Thanks ..now installing.  :)

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 10:01:57 PM »

I think I'll try following this tomorrow :

http://www.howtoforge.com/the_perfect_desktop_pclinuxos_2007

The box I'm installing it on is intended for neighbours who aren't all that PC-literate and that list seems perfect - covers just about everything without being overwhelming.

Hopefully the wireless bridge will have enough signal strength to connect them into our network so they can use our internet connection. They have Sky so once they're sure they'd use the internet then they ought to be able to get the basic ADSL package for nothing.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 10:34:20 PM »

Well I finally got it to install to HDD :), I think for a Beginner Ubuntu 7.10 installs easier, they would have less things to configure on the way.

I now have some icons on my desktop (running from the CD I had none ) and I have the one to 'install P C LinuxOS'  :'(

Do you know how I do any Updates ?. Is there an updater ? like Ubuntu , That installs all the latest software.

That link looks interesting, I my try that some time.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2008, 10:45:08 PM »

PCLinuxOS uses Synaptic as its package manager. You should find it on the menu or as a quick launch icon on the bottom panel. You will be asked for the root password when you run it. Then click the 'reload' button to refresh the local index. After that you can (for example) click the status button, and you will see at the left side various categories including one for upgradable packages. As PCLOS 2007 is several months old now, there will be a rather large list of upgradable packages.
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2008, 11:03:08 PM »

PCLinuxOS uses Synaptic as its package manager. You should find it on the menu or as a quick launch icon on the bottom panel. You will be asked for the root password when you run it. Then click the 'reload' button to refresh the local index. After that you can (for example) click the status button, and you will see at the left side various categories including one for upgradable packages. As PCLOS 2007 is several months old now, there will be a rather large list of upgradable packages.

Thanks Eric,
Up-dating started , Yet again I think Ubuntu is easier to do.
606mb of downloads  :'(  I'm on a set 3Gb per month with my ISP :'(

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2008, 08:55:20 AM »

I think for a Beginner Ubuntu 7.10 installs easier, they would have less things to configure on the way.

Apart from the problem I had with the partitions (which was really my own fault) I can't see how there could be less things to configure. I picked a ntp pool and set the keyboard locale, but apart from that there wasn't anything which required configuring. That was the Gnome version right enough but I'm going to try the KDE version in about 30 minutes so I'll see if there's any difference.....
Pages: [1] 2