Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Warning about Seagate Central Network storage boxes.  (Read 14350 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Warning about Seagate Central Network storage boxes.
« on: September 11, 2013, 01:44:49 PM »

I very recently purchased a Seagate Central 2TB network storage box to replace my failed Buffalo Linkstation. I has been trying to change the default value of WORKGROUP domain name. Having exhausted their support structure I find that they have dumbed down this new box because some users complained that on the previous GoFlex Home boxes you could alter this, so the option to change it has been removed. It may seem trivial but they are trying to tell me that this is a Windows Standard which it is not it is simply a default value which can be changed. Anyway I am now at a point where do I try to get the retailer to refund it on the basis that it is not fit for purpose, or simply change my lan settings. Right now I feel like being awkward and trying to get my money back!

So be warned Seagate design their hardware for the lowest common denominator....

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Warning about Seagate Central Network storage boxes.
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 03:23:47 PM »

Pathetic, isn't it? I don't suppose you can telnet into it, can you?
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 04:03:55 PM »

No telnet does not work. However I can use putty and get in via SSH, problem there is that I can seem to edit all the Samba config files but as soon as I reboot all the changes get backed off!

Stuart

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 08:52:42 PM »

That is ridiculous.  Even windows machines are not always configured for Workgroup.

In fact this is bad news in my book

This device is designed as an entry level network storage device for private use only. It does not work as, for example, a NAS.

though when connecting to the private folder I found I had to enter the username as drivename\username since you cannot add the NAS to your Windows networking workgroup or domain.

Not a NAS?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 09:34:44 PM »

default value of WORKGROUP domain name
What about MSHOME for example?  >:D

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 10:47:22 PM »

Well I gave up on this and returned it for a full refund tonight. I now have a WD MyBook Live which does allow the workgroup to be defined. However it does have one small issue I have just discovered, it will not allow file names with the : (colon) character in them, Mac and Linux does allow this though and as it supports Macs I did expect it to work. Oh well I guess these days you cannot expect everything to be tested.

Stuart

coniam22

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 04:17:28 PM »

I realize this post is 6 months old by now but it has been read by many people. I believe I have found the solution to change the workgroup and have the new value persist after reboot. Without fulling explaining the underlying OS structure that Seagate has chosen and assuming you have basic *nix CLI knowledge I will attempt to explain.

The first step is to log into the box through SSH with the the credentials you have already setup in the web-UI you will use these credentials to log into the box through SSH. After you have logged in navigate to /usr/config/backupconfig/etc/samba in this directory you will find “smb_cust.conf” and “smb_workgroup.conf” these are the two that you will need to modify. Make sure you “su root” before you attempt to open the files in nano.  After these changes are made the only thing left to do is reboot. Using this method changes will only take effect after reboot.

I realize that this is just a work around for a flawed web-UI but I hope this helps at least those of us who don’t have the option of returning the equipment for something better.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 04:43:19 PM »

That sounds like a good workaround. Thanks for posting it.
  Eric

anything