Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Today highly fluctuating UP SNRM  (Read 2361 times)

renluop

• Kitizen
Today highly fluctuating UP SNRM
« on: April 07, 2014, 04:17:12 PM »

For 3 weeks I had been synchng downstream at 8299 kbps on a 3db SNRM, 46.5dB attenuation and intreleave depth 64. Upstream was around 800 kbps and the margin ~10db. Allowing for time of day etc both up and down margins were quite steady withe the occasional blip on the up, that never amounted to more than a ~2dB fluctuation.

This morning the connection dropped but recovered with an insignificant reduction in synch to 8138 kbps,, and down to 611 kbps.

However from being relatively smooth, now the upstream margin is quite erratic, ranging from 11.9 to 6.1 dB.

Any thoughts? I'd have the synch reductions would have reduced the fluctuations rahther than increased them.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Today highly fluctuating UP SNRM
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 05:34:31 PM »

When convenient, please perform a QLT from the test socket at the NTE5/A. Disconnect the modem/router, disconnect all telephones, remove the lower front face-plate from the NTE5/A and plug a classic, wired, telephone into the test socket so exposed. Call 17070, take Option 2 and listen critically. You should hear absolutely nothing. (Apart from Beattie occasionally reminding you that you are performing a quiet line test!)

Looking at your graphs and following the description of your observations I would very tentatively say that your circuit is beginning to show signs of a HR (high resistance) or semi-conducting joint.  :(

It may have to get worse before you can convince your CP/ISP to arrange for an Openreach engineering appointment, to trace and fix the problem. (Kitz, our leader, knows that . . . very well!)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 05:51:22 PM »

Will do! AAMOF it has got worse since the OP and SNRM has ranged down to 3.1 dB! Some of it may have been whilst I was contacting ASDA mobile shower! ::)

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 06:54:31 PM »

Used my 12 y.o. hearing aid, aka my grandson, ;) for noise on 17070. At most he could hear a very low volume hiss.

Had a (insert expletive) job to get connected again!  Between 18:12 and 18:50 UP margin has fluctuated between  8.4 and 3.7 dB.

Edit
Added graphs and now fluctuation is 1907-2021 between 11.2 and 0.8 dB (currently 10.8 ) dB
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 08:42:47 PM by renluop »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 10:02:46 PM »

Hmm . . . Yes, a low-level hiss can be produced by a marginal / HR / semi-conducting joint. Your main problem will be getting your telephony provider (not your CP/ISP) to accept that there is a fault and arranging for an Openreach engineering visit . . .

If it was a loud hum, a constant crackle, buzzing, etc, that would make things so much easier.  :-\

Your difficulty in re-establishing a broadband connection is a further indicator of a metallic pathway fault. As previously said, you may have to wait for it to get worse before it will be fixed.  :(
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 08:17:38 PM »

DI will wait patiently impatiently for the the string that connects me to break ;D

Weird though is that from a little before you post last evening until now the Up SRNM has been quite steady, ranging - 10.6 -10.9 dB. But downstream error averages are higher to day:
Yesterday CRCs 751, FEC 20730, ES 0; today CRCs 4400, FEC 342264, ES 480.

Am going away for a few days, so will likely turn off router (proper way!) and see  what happens on return. Weird how things change from one day to next though.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 09:44:08 AM »

Yes it is weird how it could change daily, some days in the earlier stages b4 it affected my voice too, I could go a few days relatively ok, then it would start again.   Some times it would even start acting up at around the same time each morning which is why I considered REIN too at one point.

However I then noticed that my own fault could perhaps be weather related. It got much worse on hot days, to the point whereby my isp scheduled a bt appointment by looking at the weather forecast.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything