Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: OS popularity  (Read 6999 times)

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
OS popularity
« on: April 03, 2014, 03:08:40 AM »

You might think that the most popular Operating System is Apple's OSX, and that Windows is utterly dead, given the noise made by supporters.  and surely Linux is about to take over the world?

These stats are interesting though.

From http://netmarketshare.com/ they show popularity of Operating System by hits on websites.

March 2014

Windows 7    48.77%
Windows XP   27.69%
Mac OS X      7.58%
Windows 8     6.41%
Windows 8.1   4.89%
Windows Vista 2.99%
Other         1.67%

Ian

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: OS popularity
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 06:26:56 AM »

I thought it was a well known fact that Windows is the most popular.  It's the main reason there are so many viruses to, you don't waste time writing viruses for OSx when it's only on 8% of the world's computers. Windows is on 90% so much better to focus on that. 
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 07:25:28 AM »

It's a fact of life that the vast majority of computer users buy their computers with the OS already installed, so as far as desktops and laptops are concerned it's a choice between Windows and OSX. But if you look at tablets and mobiles the proportions are very different. And for a large swathe of the remaining market for embedded devices it's Linux, period. I would bet that, in a large proprtion of homes in the developed world, there are more Linux based devices than all the other OSs put together.
  Eric

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 07:33:20 AM »

You might think that the most popular Operating System is Apple's OSX, and that Windows is utterly dead, given the noise made by supporters.  and surely Linux is about to take over the world?

These stats are interesting though.

From http://netmarketshare.com/ they show popularity of Operating System by hits on websites.

March 2014

Windows 7    48.77%
Windows XP   27.69%
Mac OS X      7.58%
Windows 8     6.41%
Windows 8.1   4.89%
Windows Vista 2.99%
Other         1.67%

Ian

As Eric has pointed out, this is a bit of an irrelevant point as the OS will already be installed (in most cases) when the EU purchases.
It's more than obvious that OS X will not be as popular, due to the price-points of this superior engineered product. Also, unless the EU has experienced all OS's, it's really just a list of the highest-selling OS's, but rather based on affordability ............. not popularity.

Not intended towards your goodself, Ian, it's aimed at the compiler.  :)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 08:25:39 AM »

I think in addition it is worth noting the a huge part of the Internet infrastructure is run on *nix systems and a huge ammount of websites are also served from *nix systems running the servers.

So yes when looking at the devices like PCs purchased Windows in all its flavours will prevail, however it is likely that overall in all of installed IT equipment round the world *nix systems predominate.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 10:13:21 PM »

This :-

Code: [Select]
Month         Internet Explorer Chrome Firefox Safari Opera Other

April, 2014 57.88% 17.92% 17.00% 5.66% 1.14% 0.39%

I was quite surprised at.   Considering that even with windows a user has to install a browser and IE isnt the default, its surprising just how many still use IE.   Chrome seems also to have a slight edge.   

Safari is a pretty dismal 5.66%...  considering all the Apple devices and machines where it is installed as the default browser.   I shoud imagine those figures alone could be a bit more telling too.

Heres some more stats for you

Windows 69.9 %
Macintosh 20.3 %
Linux 8.1 %
Unknown 1.3 %
Unknown Unix system 0 %  (1310)
BlackBerry 0 % (837)
Sony PlayStation 0 % (498)
Java Mobile 0 % (402)
Java 0 % (248)
BSD 0 % (172)

Google Chrome No 34.6 %
MS Internet Explorer No 21 %
Firefox No 20.8 %
Safari No 11.3 %
Mozilla No 7.4 %
Opera No 1.5 %
Android browser (PDA/Phone browser) No 1.4 %
Curl Yes 0.7 %
Unknown ? 0.3 %
LG (PDA/Phone browser) No 0.2 %
  Others 0.3 %

I can break it down further and youd be amazed at the number of people still using old browsers...  for eg with Firefox,  29.0 is the most popular version, but that only has 10.6 %

Theres a big shift in stats though between the forums and the main site.  On these forums Linux rises to 2nd place with 15.8% outstripping Apple by far...  even though I should imagine I contribute a fair bit on iOS.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 10:15:58 PM »

Vista boy grandad and proud... ;D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 11:54:51 PM »

:D
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker