Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16

Author Topic: ZyXel VMG8324-B10A Preliminary findings.  (Read 128251 times)

simoncraddock

• Reg Member
Re: ZyXel VMG8324-B10A Preliminary findings.
« Reply #180 on: December 24, 2014, 10:25:27 AM »

The command is there and it works on adsl, but on VDSL the command is over-ridden by the BT DLM. 

The BToR DLM doesnt use SNRm as a configurable attribute (it uses banding and interleaving) and a default Target SNRm of 6dB is set on all lines, so although you can attempt to use it, it just gets over-ridden by the DSLAM. :/

You can however use adsl configure  --maxDataRate to adjust the banding downwards which will give you a higher SNRm.

Just to add in, I don't somehow believe that's quite the case. I believe that the snr parameter was only designed to work with ADSL connections, not VDSL2, so therefore has no effect. If someone has a VDSL2 connection (e.g. their own DSLAM or not BT's setup) and has successfully managed to get the snr parameter to function, fair enough then I'm wrong, but I have a feeling I'm not :P.

On the ASUS DSL-AC68U and the Fritzbox 7390, the SNRM offset (or target_snrm in the case of the ASUS) work fine. If BT's DLM (or DSLAM) were configured to prevent it then I'd have thought those two devices would've failed as well.

I guess it depends on how its implemented within the driver from Broadcomm, ECI etc.
Fritzbox 7490 l Plusnet FTTC

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #181 on: December 24, 2014, 09:17:23 PM »

My ping had gone crazy again over the last few days, whilst the connection stats didn't change.

Eww that graph looks horrible..  and a reboot doesnt seem to have cured it as it looks awful again.
Out of interest what gateway are you on.   A reboot should have sorted it and/or put you on another gateway.

A couple of weeks ago I found one of the gateways appeared to be getting progressively worse in the evenings so I did a gateway hop - currently on ptw-ag01...  although thats not a proper indication as the gateways have several different endpoints.   

My router uptime is 26 days.   Just in case you didnt already know you can get a new ppp session to try another gateway without having to do a reboot or resync from

> Connection Status
> Status  (Arrow on RH side of page)
> Device Information > IPv4 Address > Disconnect
   Then wait a few seconds, refresh page and then click 'Connect'

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #182 on: December 25, 2014, 09:59:05 AM »

Thanks Kitz, I found out the cause of the problem last night and have now cured it, it was nothing to do with the router.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #183 on: December 25, 2014, 03:49:45 PM »

what was it?

Jasonkruys

• Reg Member
« Reply #184 on: January 01, 2015, 05:58:38 PM »

Thanks Kitz, I found out the cause of the problem last night and have now cured it, it was nothing to do with the router.

Indeed, what did you do? I notice you came off interleaving on 28th - was that a DLM action or intervention by yourself resyncing your modem? Your line stats (as noted in the past) are very similar to mine, so am interested to know what has caused the change to move your line back to effectively what I was happy with on my line before DLM ruined it... seemingly forever lol.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 06:00:43 PM by Jasonkruys »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #185 on: January 01, 2015, 10:39:32 PM »

The problem was caused by some software that never shut down properly.  The DLM relented on its own accord,  my line seems to flip between fast path and interleaved,  although its currently at the highest speed it's been since the very early days of when it went live. So sorry but no black magic here.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Jasonkruys

• Reg Member
« Reply #186 on: January 02, 2015, 09:06:40 AM »

Damn. Lol. Thanks Ronski.
Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk (with free typos)

idb

• Just arrived
« Reply #187 on: January 26, 2015, 07:01:16 PM »

FWIW,

My VMG8324 just passed 100 days of uptime ;D , so they do seem quite stable!

I have now updated the firmware (to 7C0) so we shall see how that goes.

Ian
(hat tip to kitz for suggesting the router in the first place)

Scottland

• Just arrived
« Reply #188 on: January 27, 2015, 09:10:08 PM »

Sorry if this has already been asked - but does this support MER for use with Sky?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #189 on: January 28, 2015, 11:12:10 PM »

I dont believe it does.   
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Scottland

• Just arrived
« Reply #190 on: January 29, 2015, 09:53:20 AM »

Thanks, the ZyXel site for it says it supports:
MAC encapsulation routing/IPoE

But no mention anywhere of someone having had it work with Sky. I might shoot them an email to confirm.

Edit: Confirmed via email, no worky with Sky.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 10:44:45 AM by Scottland »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #191 on: January 30, 2015, 12:39:44 PM »

Thanks for the confirmation.
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #192 on: February 01, 2015, 10:54:44 AM »

I've got my new VMG8324-B10A installed and working fine. I flashed it with the 6b1 firmware and set it up using Kitz' guide. There are several extra options in the newer firmware, but the guide still provides all the necessary information.

It's connected at a slightly lower downstream speed than the Billion 8800NL (79128 compared to 79787) and other stats are very similar. I'll give it at least a few days to see how it goes, and then I might try the 7c0 firmware (if idb doesn't report any serious issues).
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #193 on: February 02, 2015, 11:25:34 AM »

Thanks eric.   Im still on 6b1 which to me seems stable.  Current up time 66 days, but I have dropped ppp sessions purely to get on different PN pipes.

I did upgrade at one point to 6b4, but that version seemed to cause GUI & telnet lockups for both me and ronski and may have been something to do with when they first introduced the max 1 telnet session.   I rolled back, but I note that others have since upgraded to other versions and are not seeing the problem so it may just be specific to 6b4.  I wrote to Zyxel and they said they werent going to increase the max sessions,  but would attempt a work around fix for those using stat tools, so if they ever did and what the work around could be I dont know.    I havent tried 7c0 yet.
-----

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #194 on: February 02, 2015, 12:33:52 PM »

by the way kitz you got permission to point to my webspace if anyone asks for download links, as zyxel take theirs offline.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16

anything