Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16

Author Topic: ZyXel VMG8324-B10A Preliminary findings.  (Read 128233 times)

dmcdonnell

Re: ZyXel VMG8324-B10A Preliminary findings.
« Reply #150 on: August 19, 2014, 09:00:54 PM »

What experience have users had with Port Forwarding on this device? I am told it has issues on earlier firmwares.

manny2003

« Reply #151 on: August 29, 2014, 11:34:34 AM »

What experience have users had with Port Forwarding on this device? I am told it has issues on earlier firmwares.

I'm using the VMG8924 version of the router, but since the fw images are the same I think I can however share my experience.
I had and still have big issues with Port Forwarding since the ports become closed every time the router restart or reconnect to the DSL. I have this problem with all the firmwares I tried, AAKL4 et AAKL5 versions.
I would be happy to hear some other experiences if someone had the chance to test port forwarding.

Many thanks.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #152 on: August 29, 2014, 12:02:04 PM »

I'm using the VMG8924 version of the router, but since the fw images are the same I think I can however share my experience.
I had and still have big issues with Port Forwarding since the ports become closed every time the router restart or reconnect to the DSL. I have this problem with all the firmwares I tried, AAKL4 et AAKL5 versions.
I would be happy to hear some other experiences if someone had the chance to test port forwarding.

Many thanks.

That's interesting, I have just installed this router and have one port forwarded, as yet I've not had a re-sync or reboot since I set it up but will see what happens when a re-sync occurs, if I dont get one in a day or so I will force it (my line is normally stable and had been up 108 days without re-sync when I took it down to install this router).

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

manny2003

« Reply #153 on: August 29, 2014, 12:08:00 PM »

Many thanks.

That's interesting, I have just installed this router and have one port forwarded, as yet I've not had a re-sync or reboot since I set it up but will see what happens when a re-sync occurs, if I dont get one in a day or so I will force it (my line is normally stable and had been up 108 days without re-sync when I took it down to install this router).

Stuart
Thank-you for your feedback
So I will wait for some updates.

Sent from mobile (^_-)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #154 on: September 04, 2014, 08:13:24 AM »

Many thanks.

Stuart

Well I have just forced a re-sync and my port forwarding is still active. Bear in mind my router is one of the F1000 variety running the firmware 1.00(AAKL.4)b2 and not an original VMG8324-B10A.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #155 on: September 04, 2014, 08:56:54 AM »

of the F1000 variety running the firmware 1.00(AAKL.4)b2 and not an original VMG8324-B10A

Thanks Stuart. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

manny2003

« Reply #156 on: September 04, 2014, 09:48:32 AM »

Many thanks.

Stuart

Well I have just forced a re-sync and my port forwarding is still active. Bear in mind my router is one of the F1000 variety running the firmware 1.00(AAKL.4)b2 and not an original VMG8324-B10A.

Stuart
Thanks for the feedback!

Sent from mobile (^_-)

dmcdonnell

« Reply #157 on: September 04, 2014, 10:19:46 AM »

I raised the port forwarding issue following requests from F1000 users in Ireland. I did a series of (basic) tests on the unlocked F1000, using nmap to scan the WAN interface and netcat as a listener on my linux box. Port forwarding seems to work exactly as it should.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #158 on: September 04, 2014, 12:50:11 PM »

Many thanks.

Yes they do appear to share the same f/w...  however I notice that you mention a AAKL5 version on your VMG8924.   May I ask where that came from... and if you know what its supposed to correct.

Zyxel still only appear to be offering AAKL0 C0 via their website. 
afaik I was the first to get AAKL4(b2) - which for me was stable.   ZyXel forced my hand in passing on this version only because their own support didnt make it available to the public http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=13930.0

AAKL4(b2) is the version which Stuart is using on his F1000 and Im using on myVMG8324.   The AAKL4 version you tried is that the same one available here?

Code: [Select]
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10AV1.00(AAKL.4)b2
Supported Platforms:
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A & VMG8324-B10A
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 12:56:10 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

manny2003

« Reply #159 on: September 04, 2014, 05:59:56 PM »

Many thanks.

Yes they do appear to share the same f/w...  however I notice that you mention a AAKL5 version on your VMG8924.   May I ask where that came from... and if you know what its supposed to correct.

Zyxel still only appear to be offering AAKL0 C0 via their website. 
afaik I was the first to get AAKL4(b2) - which for me was stable.   ZyXel forced my hand in passing on this version only because their own support didnt make it available to the public http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=13930.0

AAKL4(b2) is the version which Stuart is using on his F1000 and Im using on myVMG8324.   The AAKL4 version you tried is that the same one available here?

ZyXEL VMG8924-B10AV1.00(AAKL.4)b2
Supported Platforms:

Hi kitz,
the AAKL5.b3 and now C0 comes directly from the support. They never publish the new fw version, I don't know why, but since I had a lot of bugs me and a couple of person I know from some other forums we are in touch with the support that sometime send us a new release as a reply to our complains.

The version in you post AAKL.4b2 seems to be the same I used before 4.C0 and then 5.b2 and 5.C0 now. From the 4 to 5 version there are a quite big changelog, but at the moment I can't find it. I will eventually post it if I do.

In the meanwhile I point you to one of our last discussion on the forum where I had already post you these firmwares in case you wanted to take a look to them. ;)
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=14084.msg264981#msg264981

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #160 on: September 04, 2014, 06:16:07 PM »

Thank you - somehow I'd missed your post in that thread.   
Ive updated the info on the firmware thread
-----

dmcdonnell

« Reply #161 on: September 05, 2014, 12:06:46 PM »

@manny2003 and Kitz, thank you for making these firmwares available.

I tried to flash both on an unlocked f1000 from the web interface and got an invalid image message, not all together surprising if the firmwares are labelled for the VMG8924.

I succeeded in flashing from the CFE (bootloader). After reboot, I tried to login via the web interface, username admin, and got a message saying that user could not login for 15 mins. After 15 mins, I logged in fine.

Nothing to report as yet in terms of performance or functionality. I look forward to reading the firmware change logs in due course.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #162 on: September 05, 2014, 06:34:35 PM »

Thanks dmcdonnell, so basically the 2 later versions wont install on the VMG8324/F1000?

I'd assumed they would as previous firmwares normally say
Supported Platforms:

I havent tried them myself as I find the version Im using stable, plus I dont have the ZyXel on atm.
-----

dmcdonnell

« Reply #163 on: September 05, 2014, 07:12:29 PM »

As I only have the F1000, I can't comment on the OEM device.

I will investigate further as time allows. The CFE makes no complaint what so ever about the new firmware. I have limited info on the CFE feature bits and nothing directly related to this model. The installed firmware must reference the CFE feature bit settings, which include an image check bit. The CFE may ignore the image check because engineering debug mode is in operation. I am guessing that bit is set on the F1000. I would expect it to be set on the OEM device simply to prevent flashing of any old firmware that would have a high possibility of totally bricking the device.

I am also wondering about the 15 min wait before login. Telnet or ssh may be up an the WAN during that interval. That has been seen before.

dmcdonnell

« Reply #164 on: September 05, 2014, 08:14:24 PM »

From a serial log of a failed flash of each of the latest firmwares on an unbranded F1000.

httpd:error:225.432:verifyModelId_MSTC:145:Check model from TAG is different with MRD
httpd:error:225.432:do_upload_pre_MSTC:1263:invalid image model id [content-len=23091669 imageLen=23091426]

and

httpd:error:299.757:verifyModelId_MSTC:145:Check model from TAG is different with MRD
httpd:error:299.757:do_upload_pre_MSTC:1263:invalid image model id [content-len=23222752 imageLen=23222509]

I flashed firmware V100AAKL4C0 from cfe and booted, logged in to the web interface and attempted to reflash the same firmware. Got the same error as above.

Repeated the process for firmware V100AAKL5b3 with the same result.

It will be interesting to see how owners of OEM devices get on. I should very much like to see the output of the ATSH cfe command on an OEM device.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 08:40:33 PM by dmcdonnell »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16