Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16

Author Topic: ZyXel VMG8324-B10A Preliminary findings.  (Read 128235 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: ZyXel VMG8324-B10A Preliminary findings.
« Reply #120 on: May 19, 2014, 10:41:25 PM »

I will be sending it back - the number of times the router sticks on a "Loading" screen is way too many.  I also had it hang on me too...

Thats a shame :/

I havent experienced that issue, I know it can be a bit slow at login.  ie it takes 2 seconds rather than immediate, but Ive never had it stick or hang.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

MrTAToad

« Reply #121 on: May 19, 2014, 11:08:37 PM »

It looks like the constant hanging is due to the Web Interface not being totally compatible with Windows 8 - on my XP laptop everything is okay.  The only problem is the desktop is easier to reach than the laptop.

In which case the problem is sorted - wont need to return it now then :)  Unless it totally locks up again.

Which is has done... So it will be sent back...  What was more annoying is that it managed to reset the ISP password back to the one I used originally - which it had trouble with...
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 11:11:07 AM by MrTAToad »

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #122 on: May 27, 2014, 12:56:51 PM »

It is probably not needed by most people but having telnet'd in to the VMG8324-B10A you get a restricted command set.  However typing and entering "echo && bash" gets a full shell.  Probably obvious to those of you who are Linux orientated.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #123 on: May 27, 2014, 01:39:13 PM »

you get a restricted command set.

Did you happen to notice just how restricted?   I mentioned access to the full broadcom shell using > echo && bash in my review (under the hood section). 
I also had a look at the cmds available without logging into the full shell and as far as I could see, most of the commands needed for every day things and configuration were available. 

The only echo && bash command Ive used was to get the chipset info as documented here.   
I also had to enter the full shell to mount the drive to copy across the firmware via usb - Details how to do that here.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 01:42:32 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #124 on: June 01, 2014, 03:23:55 PM »

I am about to take on Zyxel support over the performance of my device.  I can connect on my line with a HG612 in the usual way with no speed cap, the errors rates are then within the range where people report staying on fast path i,e, 20-30 Es/hour.   If I connect the Zyxel in the same way the error rates generally go up by x5 to over 100 ES/hour and the very large bursts of errors that also occur, are not as I initially thought, a one off but about once an hour.  The Zyxel does however usually connects a couple of Mb/s faster.  Today I did a speed capped comparison with both running at roughly where interleaving puts me if it switched on.  i.e. both synced at 66Mb/s sync.   The Zyxel then gives me about 12 ES/hour whilst before and after the test the Hg612 gives about 3 ES/hour so the error rate difference remains even though now reduced.  (3/hour is a low value but 6-7 is normal 24 hour figure with that speed cap)

I have a acl rule allowing TB quality meter (see below) this shows the last Zyxel insertion for just over an hour today.  (The router but not modem was off overnight and hence the larger red block) the Zyxel always seems to show over 80% packet loss.  It is the narrower red block with the "comb" at the bottom. This may just be my settings?? but I can't see what could be wrong. 

Has anyone else running a Zyxel looked at error rates or the ping graphs at TB.?  I wonder if it is a general issue showing up more on my connection or whether I have a dodgy Zyxel
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 06:35:11 PM by les-70 »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #125 on: June 01, 2014, 06:05:53 PM »

Has anyone else running a Zyxel looked at error rates or the ping graphs at TB.?

I hadn't...  but I have now :(

I just realised that dslstats had crashed yesterday so I dont have any stats from that. 
I havent particularly seen anything unusual in HG612 modem stats for errors  (see attached).   
Every day I get a lot of bitswapping starting at about 6pm, but that has been going on for a long time.  I will attach a bitswap graph because it does seem to be centred around an hourly thing.

I will also attach a 7day full monty.

If you want or need anything else, let me know.
-----

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #126 on: June 01, 2014, 06:21:35 PM »

Thanks for that.  Are, as I assume, your error rates are similar to those that you had before with an HG612? If so it looks like mine is faulty. 

On the ping test your connection looks busy, my one or two yellow spikes are all speed tests.  I just don't understand my packet loss as speed test results with the Zyxel were fairly normal, I don't think I have any setting issues. 

Edit :- if your running a web server on your PC the ping graph is what you would expect. see TB BQM FAQ
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 06:42:11 PM by les-70 »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #127 on: June 01, 2014, 07:56:43 PM »

Thanks for that.  Are, as I assume, your error rates are similar to those that you had before with an HG612?

Ive just had a look through my old HG612 files and there isnt much difference, sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less. I cant really see anything much different before and after using the zyxel. 
Ive just chosen one completely at random to attach so you can see too.

>>  if your running a web server on your PC the ping graph

Im not atm... so not sure where the additional traffic is coming from - hence the surprise when I saw the increased latency.   
I have however been doing some hefty site backups and transfers over the last week due to a humongous amount of needed security updates that are being released atm for various software..  but that doesnt account for today.
The other other thing I can think is the weird routing issue I have atm, where traffic to the site is going via France...  but a trace to tbb looks fine and unaffected.   
-----

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #128 on: June 07, 2014, 10:46:05 AM »

Well mine has gone back for a refund.   :(  It is worth saying that Zyxel and the supplier were helpful in dealing with this.  It is a shame, it did give a higher sync, but I assume that it was faulty -- with its ability to turn a stable HG612 connection into one with average errors 5 times higher and the odd re-sync it was never going to be used by me.  I never used it for long enough to resolve the dreadful ping packet loss.  I had added an ACL rule only allowing the TBB IP BQM address access and I wonder whether unrestricted access would have done better.   Using Chrome in XP the web gui did sometimes get fully stuck on pages of the gui.  This was mostly a minor nuisance but it seemed to favour getting stuck on the initial page so even access to see the device status sometimes needed a few try's.

I liked many aspects of it so maybe in future when new firmware and perhaps a revised hardware is out I will try again.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #129 on: June 20, 2014, 09:18:01 AM »

Its a shame it didnt work out for you.  Ive been using a different router for the past few weeks and seriously couldnt wait to put the Zyxel back on.

>> I never used it for long enough to resolve the dreadful ping packet loss.

Im not seeing the same issue and my TBB graphs are now more like Id expect them to be now that the Level3 routing issue going via Paris has been resolved.

>>  Using Chrome in XP the web gui did sometimes get fully stuck on pages of the gui. 

I agree there can be some slowness, but the only page I notice it on is the initial login page where the login button can take a wee bit longer to appear, but touch wood Ive never had any of the pages stick on me.   I mostly use win7 pro & FF to access the GUI, but atm Im using a win 8.1 lappy via chrome and no issues there either.
-----

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #130 on: June 20, 2014, 01:30:28 PM »

Out of interest have you enabled a general ping response on the wan?  I used a rule to only allow the  IP of TBB BQM to get a response.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #131 on: June 20, 2014, 02:28:18 PM »

No I didnt set a specific rule for TBB, just enabled ICMP on the WAN.
-----

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #132 on: June 20, 2014, 06:59:11 PM »

I suspect that my having a specific rule for TBB may have been the cause of my poor ping responses.  I did try it once with it just enabled on the wan and although I did not look carefully I did not notice notice any trouble then.

Years ago I used to just enable ICMP on the WAN but I noticed that it caused a lot of port scans and probes to be directed at me each day. The probes should of course be blocked OK but I feel happier being fully hidden from such things.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #133 on: June 20, 2014, 07:54:20 PM »

I normally enable it anyhow.  Seen too many problems in the past with PMTUD failing to work when ICMP is blocked.
-----

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #134 on: June 21, 2014, 01:46:29 AM »

not convinced it was faulty, after many years of experience of dsl I learned that whilst one modem can be good for person A it may suck for person B, that is because every line is different.  Different modems handle different lines better.

Also isnt kitz on a diff vendor dslam to you les? so the dslam chipset compatability may be a factor as well.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16