Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16

Author Topic: ZyXel VMG8324-B10A Preliminary findings.  (Read 128229 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
ZyXel VMG8324-B10A Preliminary findings.
« on: March 31, 2014, 04:14:45 PM »

Admin note - Split topic to form its own thread

Ive just decided to take the bull by the horns and be guinea pig for the new ZyXEL VMG8324 as its the first one thats ticked all the right boxes for me in the price range of circa £100.

It wont be with me until next week - as Im not in to take delivery over the next few days -  but no doubt I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Early stages yet as not fully configured and I had to update the firware to get a PPP authentication with my ISP...  and far too early to give a full review.  Theres lots of settings to play with, but thought Id post these

Huawei HG612

Uptime  132 days 13 hours 37 minutes 17 seconds

Attainable Rate:      3078457 kbps              86440 kbps
SNR Margin(dB)      7.7      13.1
Output Power (dBmV)   14.2      6.3
Line rate (kbit/s)   79999      20000

ZyXEL VMG8324

adsl info --pbParams
adsl: ADSL driver and PHY status
Last Retrain Reason:    0
Last initialization procedure status:   0
Max:    Upstream rate = 30854 Kbps, Downstream rate = 89753 Kbps
Bearer: 0, Upstream rate = 20000 Kbps, Downstream rate = 79987 Kbps

Discovery Phase (Initial) Band Plan
US: (6,31) (882,1193) (1984,2770)
DS: (33,857) (1218,1959) (2795,4083)
Medley Phase (Final) Band Plan
DS: (41,857) (1218,1959) (2795,4083)
                  VDSL Port Details               Upstream                Downstream
Attainable Net Data Rate:           30854 kbps              89753 kbps
Actual Aggregate Tx Power:             5.6 dBm               14.3 dBm
====================================================================================
  VDSL Band Status   U0   U1   U2   U3   U4   D1   D2   D3
  Line Attenuation(dB):   0.6   17.5   26.7   N/A   N/A   10.7   23.4   36.9
Signal Attenuation(dB):   0.5   17.3   26.6   N/A   N/A   10.4   23.2   36.9
        SNR Margin(dB):   NR   15.2   13.1   12.5   N/A   N/A   8.4   8.4
         TX Power(dBm):   -6.1   -27.3   5.4   N/A   N/A   11.9   7.3   7.4

My downstream has slid slightly since I first connected, not much but since its now approaching tea-time its not unusual to see this.
Ive lost appx 1Mbps of  attainable upstream, but immediately gained 3.5 Mb downstream. 
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 05:14:21 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

les-70

• Kitizen
Re: ZyXel VMG8324-B10A
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 07:43:09 AM »

That looks very promising I must skim through a user manual to see what it can do.  I wondered if the firmware was more or less advanced than the latest BT HG612 update.  If you have a minute or two spare, please could you show what you get with the commands "xdslcmd --version" and "xdslcmd" on its own.  This would either by telnet directly or by using dslstats - advanced -custom commands. The commands will give the BCM firmware ID and the xdslcmd options.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 10:05:02 AM »

> ?
Code: [Select]
?
help
logout
exit
quit
reboot
adsl
xdslctl
xtm
loglevel
logdest
virtualserver
ddns
dumpcfg
dumpmdm
meminfo
psp
dumpsysinfo
syslog
sntp
voice
ethwanctl
wlan
wlanctl
arp
defaultgateway
dhcpserver
dhcpcondserv
igmpcmd
dns
lan
lanhosts
passwd
ppp
pppoectl
firewall
dmz
snmpctl
restoredefault
route
save
swversion
uptime
cfgupdate
swupdate
exitOnIdle
wan
udpechod
tr69c
webstyle
radvdconf
vcautohunt
vlanautohunt
sys
save_default
captiveportal
celld
zyims_watchdog
wanaslan
tr064
wakeOnLan
snmp
phonetest
>

> adsl
Usage: adsl start [--up] <configure command options>
       adsl stop
       adsl connection [--up] [--down] [--loopback] [--reverb]
           [--medley] [--noretrain] [--L3] [--diagmode] [--L0]
           [--tones <r1-r2,r3-r4,...>] [--normal] [--freezeReverb] [--freezeMedl
ey]
       adsl configure/configure1 [--mod <a|d|l|t|2|p|e|m|M3|M5|v>] [--lpair <(i)
nner|(o)uter>]
           [--trellis <on|off>] [--snr <snrQ4>] [--bitswap <on|off>] [--sesdrop
<on|off>]
           [--sra <on|off>] [--CoMinMgn <on|off>] [--i24k <on|off>] [--phyReXmt
<0xBitMap-UsDs>]
           [--Ginp <0xBitMap-UsDs>] [--TpsTc <0xBitMap-AvPvAaPa>] [--monitorTone
 <on|off>]
           [--profile <0x00 - 0xFF>|<"8a |8b |8c |8d |12a |12b |17a |30a">] [--u
s0 <on|off>]
           [--dynamicD <on|off>] [--dynamicF <on|off>] [--SOS <on|off>] [--maxDa
taRate <maxDsDataRateKbps maxUsDataRateKbps maxAggrDataRateKbps>]
           [--forceJ43 <on|off>] [--toggleJ43B43 <on|off>]
       adsl bert [--start <#seconds>] [--stop] [--show]
       adsl afelb [--time <sec>] [--tones] [--signal <1/2/8>]
       adsl qlnmntr [--time <sec>] [--freq <msec>]
       adsl inm [--start <INMIATO> <INMIATS><INMCC><INM_INPEQ_MODE><INM_INPEQ_FO
RMAT>] [--show]
       adsl snrclamp [--shape <shapeId>] [--bpshape [bpIndex-bpLevel,]]
       adsl nlnm [--show ] [--setThld <Thld_Num_Tones>]
       adsl diag [--logstart <nBytes>] [--logpause] [--logstop] [--loguntilbuffe
rfull <nBytes>] [--loguntilretrain <nBytes>]
       adsl info [--state] [--show] [--stats] [--SNR] [--QLN] [--Hlog] [--Hlin]
[--HlinS] [--Bits]
           [--pbParams] [--linediag] [--linediag1] [--reset] [--vendor] [--cfg]
[--webstats]
       adsl profile [--show] [--save] [--restore]
       adsl --version
       adsl --help

> adsl --version
adsl version 1.0
ADSL PHY: AnnexA version - A2pv6F039g1.d24e
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 11:16:40 AM »

>>> That looks very promising I must skim through a user manual to see what it can do.

That was going to be my bedtime reading last night, but I fell asleep before I even opened it  :-[

I had a hiccup yesterday as the default supplied firmware has a bug where you cant save the isp config details for the VDSL interface - kinda makes it hard to get a PPP session  :-X  Broadbandbuyer are now aware of this &  gave me a phone no for Zyxel support who emailed me various firmware updates to try.  Ive installed all 3, but the first one did the trick and sorted the problem with VDSL config.

So far Im pretty pleased with it.  As far as Im concerned the web interface is quite nice and very feature rich, but it may be over whelming for a more novice user especially some of the more advanced features.  Theres some nice touches in the GUI that I like.  The easy set-up failed for me, so a downside for a novice user is they will have to dig a bit deeper and I can imagine it putting some off trying to manually put all the settings in.    Having spoken to Zyxel support yesterday though, the distinct impression I got that they normally supply ISP specific firmware as he seemed surprised I'd bought it 'off the shelf' and not via an ISP. Basically I had to set up a new WAN interface for vdsl2...  I'll probably do a tutorial on the wiki or main site for vdsl config as even the current firmware isnt exactly novice friendly and requires some settings which even i thought 'huh whats that' or 'what do I put for this'.  Quick start doesnt work for vdsl.

My overall impression is they seem to have made most things available via the GUI but not dumbed it down.   I get the feel that they started off with good intentions of making it look nice, but quarter way through thought 'sod it - we'll just make everything available in plain text in a frame'.

Ive not done specific wireless tests but I had no problem last night streaming HD to the TV in the corner of the lounge   This particular location has been a dead-spot in the past with several wireless devices meaning I had to install about 20m of CAT5,  but it coped perfectly with a HD stream via wireless only.   If this continues I may be able to rip out the CAT5 when I next decorate as its a bit unsightly in a couple of places.

The config options are too numerous to mention and Ive not explored them all yet, but one of the things I noticed is allows up to 4 defined usergroups which you can set allowing difference levels of access on the LAN/wifi/WAN.  It also has the ability to specifically set parental control on particular devices using its MAC address to disallow specific sites or acess on at certain times of the day.

An example of what I mean with how the GUI looks quite smart at the start.... with some nice visuals - ie the connected devices and stats for CPU & memory usage - Those bars move in real time.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 12:21:33 PM »

bit of digging on the chipset

~ # cat /proc/cpuinfo
system type             : 963168VX
processor               : 0

The BCM63168 is the industry's first single-chip multi-mode ADSL2+/VDSL2 Integrated Access Device (IAD) SoC with an unprecedented level of integration, delivering triple play services throughout the home.

The BCM63168 xDSL IAD SoC integrates multi-mode ADSL2+/VDSL2, supporting 5-band channel bonding with 802.11n, DECT, VoIP and Ethernet Switching into a single chip. It combines Broadcom's DSL industry leadership and proven ability in designing complete ADSL2+/VDSL2 carrier access solutions to reduce overall system cost and power, and meet the growing demands for high-bandwidth triple play services. Additionally, it deploys a higher performing, remotely manageable and eCOC compliant solution. By combining the BCM63168 with the BCM4360 5G WiFi solution, Broadcom enables carriers to reliably deliver high quality HD video content concurrently to a variety of wireless devices such as tablets, smartphones, PCs and connected TVs throughout the home.

Multi-mode xDSL transceiver with seamless fallback supporting 5-band channel bonding
    High performance 400MHz dual-core MIPS CPU with packet and Quality of Service offload for advanced routing and service provided applications
    Concurrent 802.11n wireless connectivity throughout the home
    Gigabit Ethernet Switching with integrated Ethernet PHYs and multiple RGMII ports for flexible expansion and connectivity
    Multi-channel HD-voice

http://www.broadcom.com/products/Broadband-Carrier-Access/xDSL-CPE-Solutions/BCM63168

« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 12:23:58 PM by kitz »
-----

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 12:35:36 PM »

It all sounds very interesting.  The firmware contains a more recent Broadcom Binary Large Object BLOB i.e. 039  c.f. 038 the latest in the BT hg612 update. 

Please might you be able to extract the BLOB from the file system? 

I tried and failed to extract anything from the zytel web site firmware.  The image there seemed very small though, just 1.3MB, did you get a larger firmware size than that from zytel?

This is often very easy on routers with a usb.  If you plug in a usb memory you will  probably find it mounted in the file system and any file can then be copied to it.  In the Hg612 the file is in /etc/adsl and called adsl_phy.bin. If the usb approach fails then tftp will also allow it if (tftp) is present in the file system. If you could make that file available it will be possible to try dynamically swapping it into an HG612.  I am up to that, but so far building new firmware has proved too much for my linux skills. There are however others who seem good at that.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 01:02:35 PM »

I have 3 versions that Zyxel mailed me

100AAKL2C0_20131205.bin (21.3 MB)
V100AAKL3b2.bin (21.6 MB)
V100AAKL4b1.bin (21.8MB)

I have to go out now and I have an appt this eve but I shall certainly have a look later.

-----

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 01:39:56 PM »

Just reformatted the help output produced by the adsl command . . .

Usage: adsl start [--up] <configure command options>
       adsl stop
       adsl connection [--up] [--down] [--loopback] [--reverb]
           [--medley] [--noretrain] [--L3] [--diagmode] [--L0]
           [--tones <r1-r2,r3-r4,...>] [--normal] [--freezeReverb] [--freezeMedley]
       adsl configure/configure1 [--mod <a|d|l|t|2|p|e|m|M3|M5|v>] [--lpair <(i)nner|(o)uter>]
           [--trellis <on|off>] [--snr <snrQ4>] [--bitswap <on|off>] [--sesdrop <on|off>]
           [--sra <on|off>] [--CoMinMgn <on|off>] [--i24k <on|off>] [--phyReXmt <0xBitMap-UsDs>]
           [--Ginp <0xBitMap-UsDs>] [--TpsTc <0xBitMap-AvPvAaPa>] [--monitorTone <on|off>]
           [--profile <0x00 - 0xFF>|<"8a |8b |8c |8d |12a |12b |17a |30a">] [--us0 <on|off>]
           [--dynamicD <on|off>] [--dynamicF <on|off>] [--SOS <on|off>] [--maxDataRate <maxDsDataRateKbps maxUsDataRateKbps maxAggrDataRateKbps>]
           [--forceJ43 <on|off>] [--toggleJ43B43 <on|off>]
       adsl bert [--start <#seconds>] [--stop] [--show]
       adsl afelb [--time <sec>] [--tones] [--signal <1/2/8>]
       adsl qlnmntr [--time <sec>] [--freq <msec>]
       adsl inm [--start <INMIATO> <INMIATS><INMCC><INM_INPEQ_MODE><INM_INPEQ_FORMAT>] [--show]
       adsl snrclamp [--shape <shapeId>] [--bpshape [bpIndex-bpLevel,]]
       adsl nlnm [--show ] [--setThld <Thld_Num_Tones>]
       adsl diag [--logstart <nBytes>] [--logpause] [--logstop] [--loguntilbufferfull <nBytes>] [--loguntilretrain <nBytes>]
       adsl info [--state] [--show] [--stats] [--SNR] [--QLN] [--Hlog] [--Hlin] [--HlinS] [--Bits]
           [--pbParams] [--linediag] [--linediag1] [--reset] [--vendor] [--cfg] [--webstats]
       adsl profile [--show] [--save] [--restore]
       adsl --version
       adsl --help
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 01:44:40 PM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2014, 04:37:29 PM »

I have found some correct full size firmwares on the zytel web site. The site is confusing (for me at least) as with a search it show firmwares for more than the specified device.   I have however failed to extract the file system with "firmware mod kit" fmk, an "unsupported file system jffs2"  message is shown. I have found that, as advertised, fmk works for some firmwares but not for others.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2014, 07:21:17 PM »

Hi kitz,

Early stages yet as not fully configured and I had to update the firware to get a PPP authentication with my ISP...  and far too early to give a full review.  Theres lots of settings to play with, but thought Id post these

ZyXEL VMG8324

adsl info --pbParams
adsl: ADSL driver and PHY status
Last Retrain Reason:    0
Last initialization procedure status:   0
Max:    Upstream rate = 30854 Kbps, Downstream rate = 89753 Kbps
Bearer: 0, Upstream rate = 20000 Kbps, Downstream rate = 79987 Kbps

Discovery Phase (Initial) Band Plan
DS: (33,857) (1218,1959) (2795,4083)
Medley Phase (Final) Band Plan
DS: (41,857) (1218,1959) (2795,4083)
                  VDSL Port Details               Upstream                Downstream
Attainable Net Data Rate:           30854 kbps              89753 kbps
Actual Aggregate Tx Power:             5.6 dBm               14.3 dBm
====================================================================================
  VDSL Band Status   U0   U1   U2   U3   U4   D1   D2   D3
  Line Attenuation(dB):   0.6   17.5   26.7   N/A   N/A   10.7   23.4   36.9
Signal Attenuation(dB):   0.5   17.3   26.6   N/A   N/A   10.4   23.2   36.9
        SNR Margin(dB):   NR   15.2   13.1   12.5   N/A   N/A   8.4   8.4
         TX Power(dBm):   -6.1   -27.3   5.4   N/A   N/A   11.9   7.3   7.4

The stats you have posted do look very similar to the format used by the HG612 etc.

At first glance, it appears that with a little bit of work I could adapt my HG612 programs to produce snapshot graphs & monitor/graph ongoing stats etc.

Whenever you have a minute or two to spare, would you mind collecting the output from these commands & emailing them to me (file sizes would be too large to post in the forum):-

adsl info --stats 
adsl info --pbParams
adsl info --Bits
adsl info --linediag
adsl info --show
adsl --version

Ideally, all the output would be nice in a single file.
Alternatively, I could work with separate files for the output of each command.

Blackeagle

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2014, 07:41:17 PM »

I have found some correct full size firmwares on the zytel web site. The site is confusing (for me at least) as with a search it show firmwares for more than the specified device.   I have however failed to extract the file system with "firmware mod kit" fmk, an "unsupported file system jffs2"  message is shown. I have found that, as advertised, fmk works for some firmwares but not for others.

Think you should be able to mount it by 'faking' a flash device.  See here for instance.
ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI -- TalkTalk Broadband since 2006

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2014, 05:36:05 PM »

The stats you have posted do look very similar to the format used by the HG612 etc.

Whenever you have a minute or two to spare, would you mind collecting the output from these commands & emailing them to me (file sizes would be too large to post in the forum):-

adsl info --stats 
adsl info --pbParams
adsl info --Bits
adsl info --linediag
adsl info --show
adsl --version

Ideally, all the output would be nice in a single file.

Thanks - you haz mail.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2014, 05:50:50 PM »

I think I may need some hand holding here...  or at least some pointers. 
Im not familiar with linux commands and cant seem to find what I should be doing.

I also have to be quick, as despite trying to set idletimeout, this doesnt appear to have any effect when in busybox.
This is all the info I have atm which only confirms the location.

VMG8324-B10A
Login: admin
Password:

> exitOnIdle set 9999
timeout is set to 9999 seconds (for this session only, not saved to config)

> echo && bash

~ # ls -l /
drwxr-xr-x    2 supervis root             0 Mar 12 07:43 bin
drwxr-xr-x    6 supervis root             0 Jan  1  1970 data
drwxr-xr-x    5 supervis root             0 Mar 12 07:43 dev
drwxr-xr-x   13 supervis root             0 Mar 10 03:33 etc
drwxr-xr-x    2 supervis root             0 Jan  1  1970 home
drwxr-xr-x    6 supervis root             0 Mar 12 07:40 lib
lrwxrwxrwx    1 supervis root            11 Mar 12 07:43 linuxrc -> bin/busybox
drwxr-xr-x    2 supervis root             0 Jan  1  1970 log
drwxr-xr-x    3 supervis root             0 Apr  2 15:39 mnt
drwxr-xr-x    5 supervis root             0 Mar 12 07:43 opt
dr-xr-xr-x  123 supervis root             0 Jan  1  1970 proc
drwxr-xr-x    2 supervis root             0 Mar 12 07:42 sbin
drwxr-xr-x   11 supervis root             0 Jan  1  1970 sys
lrwxrwxrwx    1 supervis root             8 Mar 12 07:43 tmp -> /var/tmp
drwxr-xr-x    4 supervis root             0 Mar 12 07:40 usr
drwxr-xr-x   17 supervis root             0 Apr  2 16:06 var
-rw-r--r--    1 supervis root       1431712 Mar 12 07:43 vmlinux.lz
drwxr-xr-x    4 supervis root             0 Mar 10 06:04 webs

~ # ls -l /etc/
-rwxr-xr-x    1 supervis root           319 Mar 10 03:33 KeepAlive.sh
drwxr-xr-x    2 supervis root             0 Mar 10 05:44 adsl
-rw-r--r--    1 supervis root           499 Mar 10 03:33 arl
drwxr-xr-x    3 supervis root             0 Mar 10 06:06 certs
-rwxr-xr-x    1 supervis root         78259 Mar 12 07:43 default.cfg
drwxr-xr-x    2 supervis root             0 Mar 10 03:33 dhcp
-rw-r--r--    1 supervis root           185 Mar 10 03:33 dhcp6c.conf.sample
-rw-r--r--    1 supervis root           256 Mar 10 03:33 dhcp6s.conf.sample
lrwxrwxrwx    1 supervis root            13 Mar 12 07:43 dms.conf -> /var/dms.conf
lrwxrwxrwx    1 supervis root            25 Mar 12 07:43 dnsmasq.conf -> /var/dnsmasq/dnsmasq.conf
-rwxr-xr-x    1 supervis root           489 Mar 10 03:33 dyndscp.sh
-rw-r--r--    1 supervis root          1317 Mar 10 05:58 ethertypes
-rw-r--r--    1 supervis root            10 Mar 10 03:33 filesystems
-r-xr-xr-x    1 supervis root           220 Mar 12 07:43 fstab
-rwxr-xr-x    1 supervis root         17868 Mar 12 05:34 fw_wwanpackage
lrwxrwxrwx    1 supervis root            20 Mar 12 07:43 gateway.conf -> /var/fyi/sys/gateway
lrwxrwxrwx    1 supervis root            10 Mar 12 07:43 group -> /var/group
lrwxrwxrwx    1 supervis root            10 Mar 12 07:43 hosts -> /var/hosts
-rw-r--r--    1 supervis root            25 Mar 12 07:43 image_version
-rwxr-xr-x    1 supervis root           486 Mar 10 03:33 inetd.conf
drwxr-xr-x    2 supervis root             0 Mar 10 03:33 init.d
-rwxr-xr-x    1 supervis root           178 Mar 10 03:33 inittab
drwxr-xr-x    2 supervis root             0 Mar 12 07:43 iproute2
lrwxrwxrwx    1 supervis root            21 Mar 12 07:43 ipsec.conf -> /var/ipsec/ipsec.conf
-rw-r--r--    1 supervis root           586 Mar 10 03:33 ipv6_start.sample
-rw-r--r--    1 supervis root           412 Mar 10 03:33 mdev.conf
-rwxr-xr-x    1 supervis root            20 Mar 10 03:33 mdk
-rwxr-xr-x    1 supervis root           131 Mar 10 03:33 modules_install
lrwxrwxrwx    1 supervis root             9 Mar 12 07:43 mtab -> /var/mtab
lrwxrwxrwx    1 supervis root            11 Mar 12 07:43 passwd -> /var/passwd
drwxr-xr-x    2 supervis root             0 Mar 10 03:33 ppp
lrwxrwxrwx    1 supervis root            15 Mar 12 07:43 pppmsg -> /var/ppp/pppmsg
-rwxr-xr-x    1 supervis root         14241 Mar 12 07:43 profile
lrwxrwxrwx    1 supervis root            18 Mar 12 07:43 psk.txt -> /var/ipsec/psk.txt
drwxr-xr-x    2 supervis root             0 Mar 10 03:33 pwdog
drwxr-xr-x    3 supervis root             0 Mar 10 06:06 racoon
lrwxrwxrwx    1 supervis root            22 Mar 12 07:43 racoon.conf -> /var/ipsec/racoon.conf
-rw-r--r--    1 supervis root          1871 Mar 10 03:33 radvd.conf.sample
lrwxrwxrwx    1 supervis root            16 Mar 12 07:43 resolv.conf -> /var/fyi/sys/dns
lrwxrwxrwx    1 supervis root            24 Mar 12 07:43 resolv.dnsmasq.conf -> /var/dnsmasq/dnsmasq.dns
-rw-r--r--    1 supervis root           427 Mar 10 03:33 rsa_host_key
lrwxrwxrwx    1 supervis root            10 Mar 12 07:43 samba -> /var/samba
-rwxr-xr-x    1 supervis root          5685 Mar 10 03:33 services
-r--r--r--    1 supervis root          1682 Mar 12 07:40 smb.conf
-r--r--r--    1 supervis root           475 Mar 12 07:40 smb.passwd
-rwxr-xr-x    1 supervis root         78259 Mar 12 07:43 smt.cfg
drwxr-xr-x    2 supervis root             0 Mar 10 05:39 snmp
-rw-r--r--    1 supervis root           555 Mar 10 03:33 soft_bridge
drwxr-xr-x    2 supervis root             0 Mar 12 07:40 sysconfig
lrwxrwxrwx    1 supervis root            11 Mar 12 07:43 sysmsg -> /var/sysmsg
lrwxrwxrwx    1 supervis root            23 Mar 12 07:43 udhcpd.conf -> /var/udhcpd/udhcpd.conf
lrwxrwxrwx    1 supervis root            25 Mar 12 07:43 udhcpd.leases -> /var/udhcpd/udhcpd.leases
-rw-r--r--    1 supervis root           273 Mar 10 03:33 vlan
drwxr-xr-x    2 supervis root             0 Mar 12 07:41 wlan
-rw-r--r--    1 supervis root           432 Mar 12 07:40 wpa_supplicant.conf
-r--r--r--    1 supervis root          7358 Mar 12 07:41 wrt54g.large.ico
-r--r--r--    1 supervis root          3262 Mar 12 07:41 wrt54g.small.ico
-rwxr-xr-x    1 supervis root           651 Mar 10 03:33 zyusbinit.sh

~ # ls -l /etc/adsl/
-rw-r--r--    1 supervis root        994476 Mar 10 05:44 adsl_phy.bin
~ # telnetd:error:337.258:prctl_runCommandInShellWithTimeout:174:prctl_collect f
ailed, ret=9809
 >

-----

Blackeagle

• Reg Member
Re: ZyXel VMG8324-B10A Preliminary findings.
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2014, 06:45:56 PM »

As a test, I have extracted the adsl_phy.bin BLOB from f/w downloaded from  the ZyXel site.  The firmware in question was VMG8324-B10A_100AAKL0C0.zip

The firmware can be extracted using a tool called jffs2dump from the package mtd-utils[1]. I actually didn't extract it that way, and used dd, but then I needed the tool to reverse the endian-ness of the file.  This file was then mounted by creating a fake flash device using the following commands.
sudo modprobe mtdram total_size=32768 erase_size=256
sudo modprobe mtdblock
sudo modprobe mtdchar
sudo mknod /dev/mtdblock0 b 31 0   (not needed if /dev/mtdblock0 exists already)
sudo dd if=image.jffs2 of=/dev/mtdblock0

The file was then finally mounted using a previously created directory with
sudo mount -t jffs2 /dev/mtdblock0 /mnt/disk
It then becomes trivial to navigate to any directory on the mounted image.

[1] https://packages.debian.org/squeeze/mtd-utils
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 07:09:22 PM by Blackeagle »
ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI -- TalkTalk Broadband since 2006

les-70

• Kitizen
Re: ZyXel VMG8324-B10A Preliminary findings.
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2014, 07:18:14 PM »

Well done. Is there any chance of putting that file online or emailing it to me with a pm? Many thanks if you can. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16