Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Can anyone explain why I see this?  (Read 2806 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Can anyone explain why I see this?
« on: May 23, 2014, 03:33:16 PM »

Now I have been monitoring my line for a while I am seeing bursts of CRCs and FECs which seem to happen periodically, see attached snapshots. The problem does not affect my sync or seem to affect my SNRM which behaves normally, I am also seeing peeks of 100s of error seconds at similar times when these errors happen. Seems to be worse duing bad rain events but not the case with these snapshots from this afternoon. Anyone any ideas please? This is a TT LLU'd ADSL2+ line.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

JGO

• Reg Member
Re: Can anyone explain why I see this?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 06:34:15 PM »

Broadstairs,
 The period looks like about 2 sec to me which is consistent with a short rang radar  causing overload. I can't think on anything else with that period, but it is still a bit of a guess. If you were adjacent to a yacht harbor well maybe.

I've had this on a cheap alarm/radio, but you can't listen for the "buzzz..........buzzz...... " on a computer.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 06:38:17 PM »

No radar near here now at all. Manston airport was nearby (about 6-8 miles away) but it is now closed down so no radar.

Stuart

jack21

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 08:08:37 PM »

Hello Stu,
I've had the same sort of thing for 6 years or so, since I began monitoring, and I'm always on the look-out for the answer. I've ruled out in-house causes by running router off a battery, monitoring via a laptop and by turning off the house main power switch; that does not affect the high CRCs. I think I've ruled out most neighbours premises by seeing the problem whilst their house is empty at holidays. Like yours, the high CRCs aren't matched by any change in SNRM behaviour, and there is no detectable drop of throughput until the CRCs get into many hundreds per minute (that is very rare).....and the typical rate, when it is happening is up to 60/min - like yours, very sporadically....sometimes absent for weeks at a time,.....sometimes once a day, but usually for hours or even days continuously. In the main, the problem is absent from late autumn to early spring.
It didn't use to bother me so much when on 20CN as it was very rare for DLM to take any resulting action, but now I'm recently on 21CN I find that its DLM is much more aggressive and is very likely to alter SNRM/interleaf depth etc......which then need correcting.
In recent times I've begun to form a link between the high CRCs and atmospheric disturbancies - thunderstorms - and by no means only local ones - storms 100+ miles away can often be correlated......I'm assuming that my 5km line with its high attenuation/vulnerability (69db for much of that time) makes things worse. Local thunderstorms, say within earshot, do affect SNRM too,,..and can (infrequently)make the CRCs rise into 1000's/min - answer: turn off router.
Jack

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 09:24:10 PM »

No radar near here now at all. Manston airport was nearby (about 6-8 miles away) but it is now closed down so no radar.

Stuart

Sorry Broadstairs your snapshot of graphs is limited in the time span, 24 hours would give us a better understanding, to me it looks like you have had a big Thunder Storm for a few hours.

this is a good site http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=radar;sess=
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 09:36:10 PM by NewtronStar »

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 11:00:02 PM »

Not today when I took those snapshots, no rain or thunder near here. I am aware that thunder storms can affect things so I ignore graphs like this when they are nearby. Right now things are back to a normal low level of CRCs and as normal at this time of night my SNRM has dropped a bit.

Stuart

jack21

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2014, 11:49:56 AM »

@newtronstar

What an excellent site that is ....it has now already helped me re my storm/CRC investigation with more accuracy than I previously had.....I can now even make a time prediction as to when the high CRCs will occur..many thanks.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2014, 06:18:14 PM »

@newtronstar

What an excellent site that is ....it has now already helped me re my storm/CRC investigation with more accuracy than I previously had.....I can now even make a time prediction as to when the high CRCs will occur..many thanks.

Glad you like it and it's useful for Storm Chasers as well  ;D

there seems to be a few Thunder Storms near Birmingham ! 6PM
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 06:24:54 PM by NewtronStar »

anything