Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Is this odd?  (Read 2612 times)

bbnovice

• Reg Member
Is this odd?
« on: March 27, 2014, 08:10:29 PM »

Hi,
Can anybody enlighten me over this.......

Recently I have been encountering odd problems with my connection.  So I fired up the latest version of the stats monitoring programs using an unlocked HG612.

The first thing I noticed was that the "bearer" speed was faster than the "max" speed on the downsteam connection. (69224 Kbps bearer vs 68772Kbps max). I have been waiting for days for a resync but today the “bearer” number changed to 69224 so that both “max” and “bearer” are both the same number.

I didn’t think this was feasible.

Regards
BBN

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Is this odd?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 08:25:52 PM »

One of the wiser bods will be able to answer your question, I'm sure. But I'm trying (and failing) to recall that if the circuit is hard-capped, my JDSU will similarly show the 'Max' and 'Actual' speeds as being the same value ??

bbnovice

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 12:35:06 PM »

....and today the "max" speed reverted back to 68722 Kbps whilst the "bearer" speed remains at 69224.

I'm getting a lot more error seconds than I used to on the downstream link as well.

I'm perplexed.

Edited to include latest snapshot stats
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 12:52:32 PM by bbnovice »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 03:11:30 PM »

The "bearer" rate is set at synchronisation time. The "max" rate varies, similar to the variation in the SNRM, over a 24 hour cycle.

Depending upon when the last synchronisation occurred (early morning, midday, late evening or midnight) it is possible for the "bearer" to be predominantly more than the "max" OR for the "bearer" and "max" to be predominantly similar OR for the "bearer" to be predominantly less than the "max" over a 24 hour period.

There is no error, no fault, no problem.  ;)

A one-off resynchronisation of the DSLAM - modem link, initiated at around 1100 hours, will give a "bearer" < "max" situation that will remain true for most of a 24 hour period. Dependant upon RFI and other "noise" ingress during the hours of darkness, you may note a "bearer" == "max" or even "bearer" > "max" situation for relatively short periods.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

bbnovice

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 10:33:38 PM »

Hi

Very many thanks for the detailed explanation. I've learned something new.

Regards BBN

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 10:52:53 PM »

A further quick note . . .

Observations have shown that when either a "bearer" > "max" or a "bearer" ~= "max" situation is true, more errors will be present on the circuit in question.

For overall stability and low error counts, it is best to ensure that a (one-off) resynchronisation of the DSLAM - modem link takes place at such a time so that a "max" > "bearer" condition is true.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

anything