Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: A Firebrick In My Grotto  (Read 8235 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: A Firebrick In My Grotto
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2014, 11:34:33 PM »

Sounds like it may be time to buy a new router, then.   ???

How about wired 'guests', though? 

I'd also like to be able to run a webserver for various reasons, which I'd also want to isolate, and for which wired LAN would have obvious appeal.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2014, 11:44:16 PM »

I'd also like to be able to run a webserver for various reasons, which I'd also want to isolate, and for which wired LAN would have obvious appeal.

Ah, actually, a penny drops.   A true DMZ for a web server requires not only that the attached server  (or 'guests' device)  is isolated from the 'secure' LAN, it also requires that incoming internet traffic can get no further than the DMZ.

So an extra question is... can these routers with 'guest WiFi' networks be so configured, such that firewall ports opened for the benefit of guests continue to be blocked as regards the 'secure' LAN?

I think I'm maybe back to being envious of the firebrick. :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2014, 12:21:34 AM »

b*cat returns from his night-time prowl around eBay (bins and back-portal duly sniffed  :tongue:  ) and reports that currently there is one WF1740 105 FireBrick available as a "Buy it now" item.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2014, 06:23:53 AM »

For anybody interested here's a link to the manual.

http://www.firebrick.co.uk/1740/manuals/intro.html
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2014, 07:23:00 AM »

So an extra question is... can these routers with 'guest WiFi' networks be so configured, such that firewall ports opened for the benefit of guests continue to be blocked as regards the 'secure' LAN?

I've never investigated the feature, so I can't answer the question, but here's a link to the 7800DXL spec, and there's a link to the full manual at the top right: http://www.billion.uk.com/product/wireless/7800dxl.htm
  Eric

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2014, 09:20:50 AM »

I've never investigated the feature, so I can't answer the question, but here's a link to the 7800DXL spec, and there's a link to the full manual at the top right: http://www.billion.uk.com/product/wireless/7800dxl.htm

Thanks for that, I shall indeed sit back and have a browse at the manual.   Shouldn't take long, it's only 270 pages.   ::)

I've now remembered however that, even if the firebrick would do the job of creating a DMZ, on a home network you run into the problem of where to do the Nat, the router or the firebrick?     ???

Many home routers, of course, offer a DMZ host to be configured, and specific port forwarding is also a related solution.    But as far as I know such features fall far short of a true DMZ.

Maybe I should start a new thread on home DMZ though, or resurrect an old thread, I didn't mean to steal Burakkucat's 'grotto' thread.  But I do love the look of that Billion user manual.    I definitely now feel a burning need for both a firebrick and that billion router too.   :blush:
Pages: 1 [2]