Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]

Author Topic: A little excitement in the roseway household  (Read 39716 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: A little excitement in the roseway household
« Reply #135 on: September 25, 2014, 10:30:52 PM »

might have been me as I use asuswrt-merlin on a ac66 which I want to keep using as my router.

I ordered a billion now as kitz said the zyxel cant do bridge mode.  Although I will have to wait a while as its out of stock.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #136 on: September 25, 2014, 11:02:27 PM »

I ordered a billion now as kitz said the zyxel cant do bridge mode. 

Did I?  :-\   I cant recall saying that...  although I may have said in the past Ive not tried it in bridge mode... because the main reason I bought the unit was to dispense with separate modem, router & switch.  I wanted to declutter the desk and free up plug sockets.

There certainly is the option in the config to do so.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #137 on: September 25, 2014, 11:34:17 PM »

haha ok well I will stick with the billion now anyway.

you think the zyxel makes a better modem than the billion?

les said the billion had lower error rates, but of course every line is different.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #138 on: September 26, 2014, 12:57:33 AM »

Much of a muchness I suppose.  The Billions seem to have a good reputation...  but the one thing that made it unsuitable for my requirements is that it only has 1x GbE port and 3x 10/100 LAN.   Because I wanted to get rid of my gigabit switch it wasnt a viable option.

The VMG8324 has more hardware ie 4GbE LAN ports & 1 GbE WAN (can be used as 5xGbE LAN). It also has 2x VoIP and 2 x USB ports... plus it also looks sexi on the desk  :lol:
The Web GUI is one of the best Ive seen..  but there is so much in it that it can be confusing for the more novice type user.   A lot of functions that would normally require CLI commands can be done straight from the webGUI.  The downside is the webGUI appears to have a couple of bugs - ie the save function doesnt always stick first time for some people... and the login button can take a while to appear.   It has its quirks, but then again all of the VDSL2 units seem to have some downsides and I dont think Ive heard of one yet that is 100% perfect.   Now Ive set my Zyxel up how I want it.. I dont need to touch it so for me it just works.

Its fair to say that Les said he saw more errors with the ZyXel..  but its not anything that Ive noticed on my line when compared to the HG612.  So I guess its one of those suck it and see things :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]