Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: A little excitement in the roseway household  (Read 39697 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: A little excitement in the roseway household
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2014, 09:11:00 PM »

Here is a photograph (thank you Walter) of a Ewhurstian "drain", situated in front of the PCP . . .
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2014, 04:46:22 PM »

Sorry to drag this old thread back, but I know you're all sitting on the edge of your seats waiting for news. The news is that the exchange upgrade which was scheduled for June has now been put back to September. :(  I've been closely watching roadworks.org, and several BT works have been scheduled in my road, and half of them have passed by with nothing actually happening. Now, the PCP I'm connected to is scheduled for replacement over today and the next four days, and so far nothing has happened. It's all very exciting.
  Eric

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2014, 05:25:15 PM »

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm in you closing sentence, Eric ??  ;D ;D ;D

Proper shame when something like this happens, but at least you're not requesting the OR CEO's head on a plate (just yet). As has been mooted many times previously, for one thing or another some PCP's schedules seem to be constantly disrupted ?

Also, don't forget that divorce proceedings will follow the minute you acquire FTTC, and data-harvesting will take over your life. Ha ha, seriously, I hope you get it sooner rather than later. It really is a great product. :) 

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2014, 06:33:38 PM »

@ Roseway,

That is a Huawei 288 cabinet but, almost certainly, will only be fitted (initially) with one 48 port line card and a single 100 pr tie cable set.

Don't be fooled by all the jumper cables being in situ as blanking plates without LEDs & extraction levers are decoys.
My guess is that your PCP probably has over 400  lines actually connected to properties; otherwise you would have been given a Huawei 128 with only two 32 port line cards fitted.

SCC has caught up with BT's delaying tactics and seemingly (according to a statement by a junior SCC servant involved) have now insisted that a second 48 way line card is fitted when the first is around 80% consumed and similarly for tie cables once 80 pairs are consumed. However I doubt that any LA has sufficient enthusiasm or knowledge to enforce that condition.

Kind regards,
Walter

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2014, 06:39:20 PM »

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm in you closing sentence, Eric ??

I can't imagine where you got that idea from. :o

You're right of course. I'm not blaming anyone, just looking for sympathy. :)
  Eric

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2014, 06:58:25 PM »

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm in you closing sentence, Eric ??

I can't imagine where you got that idea from. :o

You're right of course. I'm not blaming anyone, just looking for sympathy. :)

Roseways household in my opinion should have been given top priority for FTTC install and activation as most OpenReach engineers gain a lot of knowledge from DSlstats  ;D
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 07:01:56 PM by NewtronStar »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2014, 07:08:05 PM »

Thank you NS. I'm sure BS will make that point with his masters (and mistresses). :D
  Eric

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2014, 07:30:30 PM »

Ha ha ....... if only that were true, NS ?  :)

I would suggest a helluva lot of Kitizens gain knowledge from Eric and Paul's stat-harvesting programmes. Alas, I would also humbly suggest that only OR Engineers who have decided to 'crack' their own modem/hub in order to run the programmes, would acquire that same knowledge ??
Why they might do this when they have a JDSU/EXFO in their possession, I don't know ??  ;) ;D ;D

I've always commented on here that stats are not the be all and end all, and real life on-site tests also need to be carried out. But I've also come round to the fact that they are a great help (especially when REIN faulting) to get an overview of a circuits performance. Especially so since I gained access to part of the GEA tools (DLM, Rambo, RRT).

The problem with purely relying on graphical data, is the vast amount of unknowns at the time it was harvested, and issues local to that area ??
There's a million reasons as to why something un-toward may happen ....... cable change-overs, underground excavations, electrical storms, HAM enthusiasts, congestion, server issues, service outages, VPN issues, REIN, X-Talk ........ and network faults, EU mis-operation, faulty routers, faulty flters ........... the list is endless.
If one is viewing stats with the mind-set any change is to be investigated, then you end up with a Polish accent ( A joke at Konrados expense - no harm intended at all  ;D).

They play a part, a big part ....... but should always ultimately be a piece of the pie, not the whole pie !!  :)

That said, I too think Eric should maybe walk up to the contractors as they're installing the FTTC and say, "Do you know who I am ?? Yeah ..... well get that 80/20Meg up to my gaffe asap !!".
Gotta say though, I am excited for Eric, as I was Kitz when she was getting FTTC.  :) Just need B*Cat to get it now.  ;)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2014, 09:10:50 PM »

Fanstastic post BS  :thumbs:

I know Roseway would love to get stuck into FTTC ASP as the Internet and any large downloads becomes near instantaneous, and when I was on ADSL my heart sank when any NVidia Driver was available @ 270MB it was the case to put everything on hold for 30 minutes, and now its all done in 1.5 minutes  :)

There are plenty of self FTTC installs these days for B*CAT though it seems the Infinity 1 on BT has this option and Infinity 2 still requires an Engineer to visit and install  ???

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2014, 09:12:34 PM »

Just need B*Cat to get it now.  ;)

Hmm? I do (occasionally) get fleas . . .  ::)

Oh, I see. GEA using VDSL2 in the access network. It's been available to me (from BSE_P28) for some years. (The guestimator output is attached, below.) I have no need for that sort of speed -- a symmetric 5/5 would be purrfect for me. Anyway if I did have such a service (apart from insisting on doing the installation myself . . . ) I would probably spend too much time investigating the other tagged VLAN (301) to discover the innermost secrets of Beattie's back-door!  ;)

Edited to add three URLs:

http://ukinfinity.wordpress.com/2012/06/07/bt-infinity-tr069-vlan-access/
http://ukinfinity.wordpress.com/2012/06/07/bgp-mpls-routers-on-infinity-tr069-network/
http://ukinfinity.wordpress.com/2012/07/18/dont-worry-there-is-no-spying-occuring/
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 09:18:35 PM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2014, 10:37:13 AM »

Things are moving. From the Where-and-When site for my postcode: "Your area is enabled for Superfast Fibre but your cabinet is not ready yet so you can’t place an order today. It is in our plans to be upgraded and we update this info weekly, so please check back later."
  Eric

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2014, 11:20:51 AM »

I may be catching up with you.

Mine will be funded by local authority and according to their cabinet checker map, I see it has changed from 'work commencing by December' last I looked, to 'Complete by December'.   I'll believe it when I see it, but I notice a new cabinet did appear recently so there is hope.

And just as a precaution, as my Demon annual agreement comes around for renewal soon, and they don't yet offer FTTC,  I am now the proud owner of a Demon MAC code.  ;)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2014, 11:39:15 AM »

Yes, I've been thinking about leaving TalkTalk because of the probable delay before they join the FTTC party at my exchange. I've asked them for a commitment on this, and if I don't get it I'll be requesting a MAC code too.
  Eric

« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2014, 03:06:51 PM »

Yes, I've been thinking about leaving TalkTalk because of the probable delay before they join the FTTC party at my exchange. I've asked them for a commitment on this, and if I don't get it I'll be requesting a MAC code too.

Personally I'd be inclined to leave because of the upstream speed TT provide.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2014, 03:36:05 PM »

Personally I'd be inclined to leave because of the upstream speed TT provide.

I see what you mean - they do an 80/20 package, but not a 40/10, only a 40/2. I think I will move.
  Eric
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10