Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: A little excitement in the roseway household  (Read 39738 times)

door_bell

Re: A little excitement in the roseway household
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2014, 11:57:10 AM »

A shiny new Huawei cabinet has popped up a few metres from the cabinet I'm connected to. We're in the upgrade area covered by Kent County Council / BDUK, and according to the program the upgrading is supposed to start between April and September 2014. So it looks as though they've started slightly early, although I realise it can be many months before the service will be available.

I've paced out the distance from my home, and it's 240 paces (~200 metres), and there's little doubt that the wires travel straight along the road, so I have hopes of a respectable speed.

I'm about 270M away from mine and I'm getting this still (after 2/3 months?? doesn't time fly....)

Code: [Select]
Max: Upstream rate = 36846 Kbps, Downstream rate = 107108 Kbps
Bearer: 0, Upstream rate = 20000 Kbps, Downstream rate = 79987 Kbps

It's up the road, so following the road there is one connect box half way......you should be golden  ;D

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2014, 02:43:32 PM »

you should be golden

Closer to silver than gold. Some people call it grey. ;D
  Eric

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2014, 02:48:52 PM »

I'm not sure about this, but I suspect that this cabinet serves quite a large number of subscribers. Is this just feline curiosity, or would you like some close-up pictures?

No close-up pictures will be necessary, thank you. Perhaps a description of what you see, when you next pass that way, please?  :)

I had a close look at it this afternoon, and as BS suggested, they're just paving slabs with no apparent means of lifting them. The old cabinet a few metres away has three slabs in front of it which do have what looks like lifting holes in them.
  Eric

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2014, 03:08:54 PM »

Hope all goes well with that, our hopes have just been dashed as our cabinet has just been updated from 31st March to 31st December 2014!  >:D
The new cabinet is there and I've seen work recently. And the one at the other end of our road is live - one of my friends switched a few weeks ago.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2014, 04:40:23 PM »

I'm not sure about this, but I suspect that this cabinet serves quite a large number of subscribers. Is this just feline curiosity, or would you like some close-up pictures?

No close-up pictures will be necessary, thank you. Perhaps a description of what you see, when you next pass that way, please?  :)

I had a close look at it this afternoon, and as BS suggested, they're just paving slabs with no apparent means of lifting them. The old cabinet a few metres away has three slabs in front of it which do have what looks like lifting holes in them.

These 'slabs' will be the access lids to what we call the 'Cab Box'. It's basically a bloody big hole, where the cables split off from the Cab itself along the nodes to the various DP's, also it's where the incoming larger Exchange cables are 'Formed' and also where the new 'Tails' to the new FTTC Cab are cabled into.
They're dirty, smelly, awkward to 'dig out' the required cable you are working on, attract spiders, rats and sometimes gas and water ingress. Those 3 lids hide a world of pain from the general public.  :lol:

To bore you even further ........... 3 lids = JF10 (Jointbox Footway 10), 2 lids = JF6 and 1 lid = JF4. There are other UG structures, but those three are by far and away the most common.  :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2014, 04:58:15 PM »

Very educational, thank you. :)
  Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2014, 05:52:22 PM »

Thank you for performing an examination and the subsequent description.

To me, without a view of the wider area, it seems a little odd that four paving slabs would be laid in an L-shape (to the left and front of the cabinet) when the cabinet appears to be sited in a grassed area.  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2014, 07:30:35 PM »

Some Cabs on my patch are sited on grassed area's, and there are flags or concrete plinths on which to stand in front and to the side of them. The only anomaly here is that it isn't flagged down the R/H side of the DSLAM as well ??

Either way, I can't see Eric complaining to cancel or halt progress of the 'Works' ……… not now he's had a sniff of the future.  ;) :lol:

door_bell

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2014, 08:24:05 PM »

These 'slabs' will be the access lids to what we call the 'Cab Box'. It's basically a bloody big hole, where the cables split off from the Cab itself along the nodes to the various DP's, also it's where the incoming larger Exchange cables are 'Formed' and also where the new 'Tails' to the new FTTC Cab are cabled into.
They're dirty, smelly, awkward to 'dig out' the required cable you are working on, attract spiders, rats and sometimes gas and water ingress. Those 3 lids hide a world of pain from the general public.  :lol:

To bore you even further ........... 3 lids = JF10 (Jointbox Footway 10), 2 lids = JF6 and 1 lid = JF4. There are other UG structures, but those three are by far and away the most common.  :)

Are there any pictures of these holes anywhere?

When I was getting FTTC installed, I drove the missis MENTAL looking at cabs, etc. There are quite a few BT/GPO slabbed areas around where I live.

Always wondered what lurks beneath.....

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2014, 08:29:01 PM »

Not sure how this will copy over ....... ??

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2014, 08:33:52 PM »

Hmmm ........... someone will probably be able to re-size it ??  ;) :)

Anyhows, the 'Lifting holes' are situated on each length of each individual cover. IE: 4 in total, so we can either use a 'Roller bar' and pull the lid in one of four directions (We always use the roller bar, and never just drag the lid  ;) ;) ). Or, alternatively if the ground surface isn't suitable to use the roller, two-men can use both their lifters to lift and remove.

Hope this makes sense in the written word ??   

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2014, 08:37:42 PM »

Nice links, door-bell. The last one gives an average representation of what lurks beneath in a JF6. Also, looks like the other inhabitants I forgot to mention are on the right of the structure ....... slugs.  :-X

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2014, 08:55:09 PM »

I dont think Ive shown this before... but it may be of interest to someone
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2014, 08:58:55 PM »

Disciplinary action would be taken these days, looking at that picture. The orange 'Pocket Knife' was outlawed from use years ago !!
BT do not mess about when it comes to H&S, and there are no excuses or exceptions.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10