Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: what does this mean ?  (Read 3480 times)

covlad1987

• Reg Member
what does this mean ?
« on: March 24, 2014, 01:09:23 PM »

im unsure what this mean  :lol: as im thick

FTTC Range A (Clean) no known issues with cabling ?

FTTC Range B (Impacted)known issues with cabling ie joints if that taps ?

like i say iv not a clue

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: what does this mean ?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 11:44:09 AM »

This is how I attempted to explain it on the main site a while ago

'Impacted' only seems to show on FTTC lines and it is assumed that this is for lines which may suffer from small line faults such as a bridge tap, or possibly cross talk. If you are attaining speeds in this range, BT don't consider it as a line fault. 

As of 2014 more lines seem to be showing the effects of crosstalk as more users are added to the FTTC cabinet.  Although BT started using the term 'impacted' in 2013, it wasn't until cross-talk actually reached the stage of possibly impacting on my connection speed (rather than max headline) that the 'impact' figures appeared in my results.  15Mbps seems to be a fair average for most lines.  Over a 6 month period I have lost 20Mbps from my own max headline speed due to cross talk. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

covlad1987

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 11:50:56 AM »

This is how I attempted to explain it on the main site a while ago

'Impacted' only seems to show on FTTC lines and it is assumed that this is for lines which may suffer from small line faults such as a bridge tap, or possibly cross talk. If you are attaining speeds in this range, BT don't consider it as a line fault. 

As of 2014 more lines seem to be showing the effects of crosstalk as more users are added to the FTTC cabinet.  Although BT started using the term 'impacted' in 2013, it wasn't until cross-talk actually reached the stage of possibly impacting on my connection speed (rather than max headline) that the 'impact' figures appeared in my results.  15Mbps seems to be a fair average for most lines.  Over a 6 month period I have lost 20Mbps from my own max headline speed due to cross talk. 

thankyou for the reply

bridge tap is this a new word for joints in cables ? only asking as when i first run a check everything show i was on a FTTC Range B (Impacted) but now when i run the test its saying im FTTC Range A (Clean) if a tap is a join there is one out side my house hanging loose from the wall  and now when talking to bt ran a test and now there saying there is a problem with my line only took them nearly 2 months to admit a fault

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 01:30:11 PM »

I believe a bridge tap is an extension taken off the line before the master socket, this causes problems with signals being reflected reducing speeds.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

JGO

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 03:03:04 PM »

Ronski - I think you are correct on bridge tap  but an extension before or after the master socket is still a stub and so puts notches in the frequency response.