Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Novices question  (Read 11062 times)

bbnovice

• Reg Member
Novices question
« on: March 23, 2014, 06:59:05 PM »

Hi,

I've been a long term user of Modem Stats. I have a spare HG612 which has been unlocked.

Routine monitoring has been turned off for a while, but a few days ago I started to encounter problems with my Infinity 2 connection. I therefore swapped in the unlocked HG612 and switched monitoring back on.

However I've encountered some problems which I am 99.9% sure relate to my installation.

There would be no point in trying to diagnose the issues with my system so I have decided to start with a "clean sheet".

I have moved all the historical logs to an archive folder but I regret to say that I am now a little lost as to which version of the the unlocked HG firmware and latest version of Modem Stats are presently the best to install. (I'm obviously looking for stable versions).

Can anybody provide advise as to which version of the unlocked firmware and Modem stats I should consider, and also point to the download links?

Can I also make a suggestion? It would help potential users if there were a "sticky" on the forum that provides this information so that novice idiots like me don't have to post the question?

Thanks. BBN           

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Novices question
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 07:12:27 PM »

Here's a sticky for the stats programs.

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=13524.0

I have been working on version 2.1 & have attached hot off the press beta versions of the programs.
They seem very stable at my end.

If you are starting from scratch, the best thing would be to set everything up from the v 2.0 download & then overwrite the programs in the Script folder with all those in the attachment.

These are the latest versions of the firmware:-

https://mega.co.nz/#F!LdJFDIJL!e_E1twsIg2kTet8mPjrb4w

I would recommend one of the GUI versions from the 'Experimental' area.

bbnovice

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 09:37:51 PM »

Thanks BE. I will install these tomorrow.

Regarding the firmware. Does the "nobtagent" version mean that the firmware is immune from a BT update?   

Regards BBN

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 10:40:43 PM »

Regarding the firmware. Does the "nobtagent" version mean that the firmware is immune from a BT update?   

I believe it does indeed mean that.

However, my own personal preference was to use the other one that will allow future firmware updates etc.

bbnovice

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 05:53:23 PM »

Hi BE,

Thanks for all the help. Installed everything as suggested and all appears to be running perfectly.

Installation of the spare "unlocked" HG612 seems to have fixed the very peculiar line speed/instability problems I have recently been experiencing. Although this is early days, the current snapshot graphs indicate my connection is in a lot better shape than previously reported by the "legitimate" HG612 and older versions of the stats programs. I'm now beginning to wonder if the "legitimate" HG612 itself could be faulty.

There is a bit of an anomaly at present as the "bearer" speed is being reported as being faster than the "max" speed so I'm expecting a resync in the very near future.

Regards BBN

shamus

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 05:25:22 PM »

whilst unlocking 612 3b---set NIC to 192.168.1.100 / 255.255.255.0 etc / 192.168.1.254 gateway---- but unable to get to 192.168.1.1 to register
Lan2 lights up on connection with PC, and nothing else but power connected
any clues to problem/solution

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 06:10:26 PM »

Welcome to the Kitz forum, shamus:)

I suspect the problem you are experiencing is down to specifying 192.168.1.254 as the gateway.

My suggestion is to not specify a gateway or if you really must do so, make 192.168.1.1 the gateway.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

shamus

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 07:39:34 PM »

thanks for prompt input B

tried 192.168.1.1 as gateway --it succeeded in establishing a new "network4" connection but still unable to open 192.168.1.1
tried with nothing as gateway--"unidentified" connection-unable to open
have tried disabling firewall in the Lan set up  --no effect

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 07:47:50 PM »

:hmm:  Hmm . . .

Can we take a step back and identify exactly what you are attempting to do with that HG612, please. Are you trying to unlock it by flashing the updated firmware image? Or having already completed the firmware update, are now trying to just establish communication with the device?

shamus

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 08:44:10 PM »

trying to unlock hg612 3b
connected eth cable from lan 2 to pc config NIC with 192.168.1.100 / 255.255.255.0 etc disconnected dsl cable and lan 1 cable from 612--only lan2 connected
powered up pressing reset till lan2 handshakes with pc solid green and intermittent yellow light
connection "network4" showing in Network and sharing centre
open internet explorer and enter 192.168.1.1---nothing happens--diagnose problem screen
currently set as 192.168.1.1 in IPv4 config tried blank just the same
can't see what Im doing wrong maybe obvious!!

is this attachment the NIC panel??
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 09:41:13 PM by shamus »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 08:58:28 PM »

You don't have to connect the PC lan cable directly into HG612 Lan Port 2 when unlocking the HG612.

You can just use the same router setup as me, PC lan cable into the router and Wan port cable into HG612 port 1 and a lan cable from router into port 2 on the HG612 and follow the PDF file on how to unlock HG612.

PS forget about assigning a port 192.168.1.100 the router will assign what you need.
and go back to automatic IP private configuration on IPv4
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 09:25:24 PM by NewtronStar »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2014, 09:46:53 PM »

I wonder if a "long reset" may help . . .  :-\
  • With no cables connected to the HG612 (other than the power  ;)  ), allow it to power up and stabilise.
  • Press and hold the reset button for 20 seconds. Release the button, allow the modem to re-boot and stabilise.
  • Disconnect the power to the HG612.
  • Connect a standard Ethernet patch cable between the LAN2 port and the computer.
  • Configure a static connection for the computer's NIC, using 192.168.1.100, mask 255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.1.1 Leave it in an unconnected state.
  • With the reset button held pressed in, connect the power to the HG612. After 10 seconds, release the reset button and allow the modem to stabilise.
  • Bring up the Ethernet connection.
  • Invoke your favourite web-browser and enter 192.168.1.1 into the address bar.
The Broadcom boot-loader firmware update page should now be visible. Hopefully if I have missed something important, N*Star will probably notice it and make the necessary correction.  ;D

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2014, 10:23:34 PM »

• With the reset button held pressed in, connect the power to the HG612. After 10 seconds,
I have found one ->

•With the reset button held pressed in, connect the power to the HG612. After 10 seconds, release the reset button and allow the modem to stabilise.

for me it only takes 5 seconds when holding in the reset button and it needs to be a very firm push & hold on my 2 year old HG612 modem  ;D

shamus

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2014, 10:25:09 AM »

tried all variations even with firewalls off
other switch/setting
somewhere?
the lan2 and pc appear to connect--green light plus orange
192.168.1.1 in browser gives diagnose problem screen
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 12:22:40 PM by shamus »

lucas-10

• Just arrived
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2014, 07:41:24 PM »

can't see what Im doing wrong maybe obvious!!

is this attachment the NIC panel??

Small question, you set IP adreess (192.168.1.100) on "Alternate Configuration"
What is the IP adreess in "General" tab?
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything