Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Trying To Bring A BT Home Hub 3 Back To Life  (Read 1981 times)

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
    • Newton Poppleford Weather
Trying To Bring A BT Home Hub 3 Back To Life
« on: March 07, 2016, 12:12:54 PM »

Hi guys,

I have 2 questions. First things first, will the BT Home Hub 3 be able to receive a VDSL signal from either the BT Home Hub 5 or my Billion BiPAC 8800NL router? The 2nd question is, there seems to be a small scratch on the motherboard in the BT Home Hub 3 meaning that for some reason the device won't power up.

Will I be able to get it working with Infinity and be able to remove the scatch with something like nail varnish?

Thanks!

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Trying To Bring A BT Home Hub 3 Back To Life
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 05:27:19 PM »

Answering the first query. If you take a look at the RJ45 sockets, you will see one marked as EWAN (or something similar) and coloured red. It is to that socket that you would connect either a VDSL2 capable modem or a modem/router configured as a pure bridge . . . such as your Billion BiPAC 8800NL, for example.

As for the second query, if the scratch has cut (or otherwise damaged) the printed wiring tracks than you might as well just consider that device as dead and only fit for the electronics recycling pile.

My neighbour used to use a Huawei HG612 as the VDSL2 modem and a BT HH3 as the router/firewall/DNS server/DHCP server/WiFi access point. So yes, what you would like to do is feasible . . . but maybe not with your damaged BT HH3.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
    • Newton Poppleford Weather
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 05:59:46 PM »

Answering the first query. If you take a look at the RJ45 sockets, you will see one marked as EWAN (or something similar) and coloured red. It is to that socket that you would connect either a VDSL2 capable modem or a modem/router configured as a pure bridge . . . such as your Billion BiPAC 8800NL, for example.

As for the second query, if the scratch has cut (or otherwise damaged) the printed wiring tracks than you might as well just consider that device as dead and only fit for the electronics recycling pile.

My neighbour used to use a Huawei HG612 as the VDSL2 modem and a BT HH3 as the router/firewall/DNS server/DHCP server/WiFi access point. So yes, what you would like to do is feasible . . . but maybe not with your damaged BT HH3.

Thanks, burakkucat.

Unfortunately, the device is dead so I won't be able to do what I wanted. Ah well.

However, just another question. If I did get a new BT Home Hub 3, would I be able to see the line stats in the UI or would it still be only accessible via the Billion BiPAC 8800NL?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 06:04:35 PM by William Grimsley »

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 08:45:53 PM »

The Hub3 won't be connected to your VDSL line, there will only be an Ethernet connection to the BiPAC, so there will be no line stats to see.

anything