Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Yet Another Disgruntled User  (Read 3042 times)

waltergmw

• Kitizen
Yet Another Disgruntled User
« on: March 22, 2014, 03:48:40 PM »

Gentlefolk,

As variety is the spice of life I've invented Mr YADU who lives in Peaslake in the middle of the Surrey Hills.
He is very fortunate as his D side line length is only around 700 m, but this point is ignored by the lovely Indian "Chatters".

Kind regards,
Walter

Nishikanta (Listening)
 Nishikanta: Hello. I'm Nishikanta. Thanks for that information, I'll check it and get back to you in a moment.
 File attachment upload has started.
 The file YADU THnnnnnnnn BT Line test form.tiff (217.57KB) was received.
 The file YADU THnnnnnnnn BT NO FAULT FOUND.tiff (234.32KB) was received.
Nishikanta: Hello,Mr YADU
 YADU: Hi Nishikanta:
 YADU: I'm WalterGMW helping Mr YADU
 Nishikanta: Do you use wired or wireless connection from the Bt home hub ?
 Nishikanta: May I know how you are related to him ?
 YADU: I ALWAYS USE A Wired connection and have been monitoring the gradual drop in speeds since the line was installed.
 YADU: I am just a friend with some experience of commissioning VDSL on rather poor lines in the UK
 Nishikanta: Let me check the connection .
 YADU: Time is 11:30 22 March 2014
 Nishikanta: Does he have an openreach modem connected to the home hub?
 YADU: NO He is currently using an integral HH5 with modem included within the same box
 Nishikanta: Do he experience the same problem on other devices?
 YADU: He only has one VDSL connection  so we are only talking about one line's bad performance. I have tried a Huawei HG612 modem as well in the same HH5 and that has almost identical very poor speeds.
 Nishikanta: I mean the devices on which he access the Internet from the Bt home hub .
 YADU: All the wired devices, including my own laptop work at the same poor speeds.
 YADU: We have observed the modem sync speed and are not just relying an speed tests to state the VDSL service is unsatisfactory
 Nishikanta: Turn off all other devices so there is only one connected with with ethernet cable .
 YADU: We have already done all these things and we have restarted the hub but the sync speed remains very poor. Will you please transfer this to your level two desk and arrange for a SFI Openreach appointment
 Nishikanta: Powercycle the home hub. Allow up to 3 minutes, but wait for the lights to fully settle  and tell me .
 Nishikanta: We have to do certain tests before it is send to the level 2 desk if required .
 The file YADU - VDSL Est 17Mar2014 01306nnnnnn.tiff (123.91KB) was received.
 YADU: We are aware that BT claim they will charge for the visit if they deem there is no fault. Here is the BT wholesale line estimate
 YADU: I am quite experienced in these procedures and I would not be wasting my time if a visit was not required.
 YADU: Time 11:43
 Nishikanta: I believe there is some problem here as my tool shows the line is capable to support download speed of 50.7 mbps maximum .
 YADU: And you will see BT Wholesale states an even higher speed which was why Mr YADU bought the best Infinity product.
 YADU: Will you please ask your level two desk to arrange the SFI appointment.
 Nishikanta: we have just tested your line . We estimate that with BT Infinity your download speed will be between 35.2 Mbps and 50.7 Mbps.
 YADU: So Why does BT Wholesale tell us we can achieve nearly the maximum ?
 YADU: It is for these reasons that we request BT send an Openreach engineer with a JDSU test instrument to test the line from the NTE5 within Mr YADU’s house.
 Nishikanta: If you want I can connect you to the customer option team who can tell you the correct speed that you can get on the current line ..
 YADU: NO thank you, ALL WE REQUIRE UNDER THE CONTRACT THAT Mr YADU has accepted is that you test the faulty line in the first place.
 YADU: After that we can discuss what alternative arrangements can be considered.
 Nishikanta: Then can you please restart the home hub so that we can proceed with fixing the fault if any.
 YADU: We will restart the hub if you insist on repeating all the tests we have done.
 Nishikanta: Have you restarted the home hub ?
 YADU: We have power-reset the HH5 and the modem is now displaying the flashing orange light
 Nishikanta: ok
 YADU: Now steady orange
 YADU: Now we have steady blue
 Nishikanta: Now re-run the speed test .
 Nishikanta: Have you rerun the speed test at  http://www.sppedtest.btwholesale.com ?
 YADU: We have obtained an IP profile figure of 37.80 Mbps
 Nishikanta: Can you restart the computer in safe mode with networking and re run the test as it runs only the required process ?
 YADU: You must realise that this speed test will not affect the modem sync speed
 Nishikanta: I know but the speed receiving by the device can differ .
 YADU: Why don't you look at the modem statistics whilst we restart the computer ?
 Nishikanta: There might be application running in the background which may use the internet connection which you may not know .
 Nishikanta: Yes I am doing that from my ends.
 YADU: You must know that all speed tests are intermittent. We are complaining about the modem's sync speed not just the throughput test speed
 YADU: 36.77 down & 7.87 ping 19.63 latency
 YADU: These figures are unacceptably low for a 80 / 20 VDSL service so will you now please get your level 2 desk to arrange a morning appointment for any Thursday or Friday
 Nishikanta: I am restarting the tool as it has got stuck and sorry for the delay .
 YADU: Time 12:14
 Nishikanta: I will raise your case to the level 2 team and they will contact him back within the next 48 hours.
 YADU: Thank you for taking all this time
 YADU: You may contact Mr YADU directly or you can use my email address
 Nishikanta: ok
 YADU: Time 12:18
 Nishikanta: I am very sorry for the delay as we have to do certain diagnostics before sending the case to them .
 YADU: How about getting the level two desk to talk to me now ?
 Nishikanta: As i said  he will be contacted .
 YADU: There can be no excuse for a further 2 day delay
 Nishikanta: We need some time to investigate the  issue .
 YADU: The issue requires a BT visit as we have already proven there is a performance fault
 YADU: We require that appointment to be made for next Thursday or Friday
 Nishikanta: They will do it required please wait for them to contact him .
 YADU: I trust you will tell them that a FURTHER 2 day delay is unacceptable from the customers viewpoint ?
 Nishikanta: I understand your concern .
 YADU: And you will report this to the level 2 desk then ?
 Nishikanta: I have already done that as I say .
 YADU: TIME 12:24
 YADU: Thank you and good bye
 Nishikanta: Bye.
 Nishikanta has disconnected.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 05:54:29 PM by waltergmw »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Yet Another Disgruntled User
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 03:54:49 PM »

<Sigh!> Beattie India, once again.  :-X
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 05:31:52 PM »

Not sure about full quote of tel no. :-\

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 05:43:24 PM »

Not sure about full quote of tel no. :-\

Agreed. Walter has had a mishap!  ::)

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 05:55:49 PM »

Thanks Chaps, I had spotted the problem but still picked up the unedited one.
I hope all is now opaque.

Kind regards,
Walter

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 05:57:27 PM »

Yes, opaqueness now prevails!  ;)

Blackeagle

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 08:41:22 PM »

Nishikanta: Can you restart the computer in safe mode with networking and re run the test as it runs only the required process ?
 YADU: You must realise that this speed test will not affect the modem sync speed
 Nishikanta: I know but the speed receiving by the device can differ .

Yeah, it'll go faster than the sync speed if you reboot into 'safe' mode !!

Alternatively, do what b*cat, Roseway and I would do.  Tell 'em it's Linux and you don't have a safe mode !!  Usually you'll get silence followed by "that OS is not supported", to which my usual answer is "90% of the internet runs on Linux or Unix, probably all your kit runs it, and yet, you don't support it ??!!".....Phone usually goes dead around now  :lol:
ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI -- TalkTalk Broadband since 2006

bbnovice

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 08:46:43 PM »

I feel for you.

I had a similar experience with India yesterday. My 80/20 BT service which normally gives me a stable 62 download speed suddenly slowed to 4 down!

The stats program indicates that there are millions of errors on the line which has now gone from Fastpath to an interleaving depth of 2005.

We went  through the usual routine of power cycling everything but the download speed did not improve.  BT level 1 then did some more tests and informed me there was absolutely nothing wrong with my connection.  I insisted that I wanted to talk to level 2 but this was emphatically rejected. They customer service rep (?) told me that he would get back to me within the hour.

In fact he did phone back 45 minutes later and told me that level 2 had diagnosed that a fault with my Home Hub 4 must be causing the problem, and that a new one would be sent to me.  This is due to arrive next Tuesday.

I protested but he would not budge.

Today I dug out the old HH3 from the attic, and guess what? Exactly the same problem.

So now I've got to wait until Tuesday to try the HH4 when it arrives, and when it fails to fix the problem, I will then have to go through this charade again.

This is about my fourth encounter with them over the years and they are getting worse not better. Their knowledge levels are woeful.

On the bright side I suppose I will get a HH4 for free. Ebay anybody?