Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: FTTC install: now no phone or BB  (Read 1853 times)

Berrick

• Reg Member
FTTC install: now no phone or BB
« on: March 17, 2014, 07:23:00 AM »

Hi fellow kitizen's,

I hope you had enjoyable weekends?

Looking to understand why a working line with just a telephone service should stop working at all, no phone or BB, after BT installed FTTC on this line?

cheers
Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: FTTC install: now no phone or BB
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 07:30:55 AM »

Could be anything, but most likely incorrectly wired in the Cabinet. I'm assuming it was a 'Self-install' and not a 'Managed Install' ??

Berrick

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 08:12:22 AM »

Hi Black Sheep,

No this wasn't a self install, assuming you mean installed by the user. A BT engineer attending the users house and now nothing works. The user is being told its a problem with the "wiring between the house and the cabinet"??

This is the start of the third week of no service :(

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 09:28:47 AM »

That's terrible.

To re-cap, the line was working perfectly well (Dial tone) right up until the actual 'Managed Install' took place ?? It's either co-incidental that the D-side cable has developed a fault at that exact same time, or something has gone wrong whilst connecting up in the Cab ??

It's all guess work as I can only go off what you say, and I'm assuming you're getting it second-hand from the EU ?? There may well be a definitive UG issue, but I have to say that irony is playing a helluva hand if what the EU has said is the complete story ??

Berrick

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 09:52:57 AM »

I placed the order for the user on the very phone which is no longer working. I have been round since it stopped working and there is no dial tone, nada.

There is a manhole just outside the users house which has had recent work. I can tell because I saw a BT van there and at some point after that fresh tarmac was laid around the cover. Still no phone though :(

From what you are saying I guess BT suspect an UG fault?

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 04:49:24 PM »

As I say, I've no idea really and can only comment on what you are posting. But, if the EU has raised a fault, the Robotic Line Test system will analyse and suggest to the fault receptionist where the issue is likely to be.

It's just your opening post alludes to the fact that everything stopped working as a result of FTTC work being done, whereas it may now be something completely unrelated ?? Only time will tell I'm afraid ??  :)

anything