Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Netgear DG834G Firmware Upgrade  (Read 46917 times)

jaydog

• Reg Member
Netgear DG834G Firmware Upgrade
« on: January 13, 2008, 03:44:34 PM »

I see there is a latest version out - Version 4.01.28 (for UK)

I currently use Firmware Version  V4.01.20

Anyone upgraded and seen any positive results?

graevine1

• Reg Member
Re: Netgear DG834G Firmware Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 07:45:29 PM »

Im using the Netgear DG834G Version 3 Router Firmware Version V4.01.28 ADSL Modem Firmware Version 6.01.00.12 Which you will see all displayed on the first page after an application using 192.168.0.1 and then submitting your user normally "admin" and password "password". Then I have installed the free copy of RouterStats 2.8h, for no other reason than to graph noise etc. i have to praise this program highly as it does an exceptionally good monitor of conditions. If you install it you will soon gain the benefit when attempting to diagnose line faults etc. The only point missing is I have not yet been able to obtain the "line up Counts" from this router, maybe it is still hidden from me, unless someone knows differently but Line ups are extremly valuable when knowing how many times per hour there has been sucgh a count.

There is to be soon I hope an upgrade of the firm ware in this router to overcome the so called odd problems that have been laid at Netgears 'door'.
Hope this helps.

jaydog

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 09:25:55 PM »

yes its the router firmware i could upgrade as i have a lower version, but dont wanna mess all my settings up by flashing it. i messed up my connection by updating the drivers to my wireless adapter!

firstly, does the modem need to be directly connected to the pc or can the flash be done over the air?

also, is it likely i will see better snr with a new firmware?

thanks

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 10:04:32 PM »

does the modem need to be directly connected to the pc or can the flash be done over the air?

Do it via ethernet. 
When upgrading the firmware, the router "reboots" and may temporarily forget any wireless settings etc and you may end up locking yourself out.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jaydog

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 10:26:59 PM »

what good will flashing it do though? coul dit improve my snr and possibly stop the disconnections once a day?

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 12:24:49 PM »

Jaydog, for the moment i wouldn't bother flashing the firmware. there will be a new release within the next week or so directly aimed at stabalising the TI-AR7 code on the modem side.

Once this is released then you should upgrade and yes, you will see definite improvements.

Just to Update:

I have spoken to Netgear and they are going to take the new code and produce a release version. Apparently the new modem code has been released from Infineon to netgear and this is to change the way the TI-AR7 works on DSL max lines. I have not been given a firm release date as yet, however I have been told that it may be released within 2-3 weeks.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 12:50:03 PM by Azzaka »
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 12:51:26 PM »

Thats good news - thanks for the update azzaka :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

graevine1

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 12:52:21 PM »

I think we have all forgotten to advise JAYDOG to back up his existing firmware to his hard drive so that in the event there may be any problem with the next Netgear firmware release he can always return to the old version.
I however am finding my version of the firmware is providing me with the best service I have had for years, God I hope that nothing goes wrong now!!!!

My line is not good and the maintainance by BT has been nothing but totally incompetent. I believe I can say this with some authority as I was trained and educated by originally Post Office Research branch then BT. The competence I can state is dismal and the run around they have given me has been a joke beyond words, I now speak as a young pensioner and shareholder, but those are to be sold! The line plant to me is in a serious state of collapse and despite numerous promises, and in writing,  from persons who claim to be assistants to the Chairman of BT the cable feeds have not been replaced. They wonder why we remove contracts from BT, well its because we as customers cannot find enough hours in the day to keep phoning BT and in addituion expect to pay BT for those calls in addition.

graevine1

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 12:55:12 PM »

Yes , Thanks KITZ and to AZZAKKA who I know has the information that I to have that we are expecting a firmware upgrade from Netgear sooooon!

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008, 03:41:53 PM »

-=UPDATE=-

Netgear will be releasing a new version of the Firmware to Zen this week for internal testing.

Once this has been tested and working properly, Netgear will be finishing the new firmware and releasing the new version.

Leo

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2008, 04:47:22 PM »

Good stuff - Thanks for the update.

btw do you know if Netgear will be releasing the update for all (AR7) Netgear routers or is this just specific to the say DG834G v2/v3?
-----

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2008, 11:29:56 AM »

I believe it will be across the Board.

All manufacturers will be urged to change the DSL code on all models. Netgear are specifically doing the version 3 as it is the one I have been testing with them.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2008, 07:07:51 PM »

>> I believe it will be across the Board.

Good

>> All manufacturers will be urged to change the DSL code on all models.

Excellent - lets hope they do.

Thanks for the update :)

-----

DrTeeth

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2008, 10:42:54 PM »

>> I believe it will be across the Board.

Good

>> All manufacturers will be urged to change the DSL code on all models.

Excellent - lets hope they do.

Thanks for the update :)

Some manufacturers have apparently said that they will no longer be releasing updated firmware for their AR7-based modems - even if they are not even obsolete. Zyxel being a case in point mentioned on these forums.
Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2008, 09:29:37 AM »

When i had my meeting with BTW i asked them about the other manufacturers, they have said off the record that they can not force them to update the DSL code, however they said they will urge them to do so as there is now a fix for the known issue that shows itself on DSL max lines.

I urge anyone who has a Zyxel to speak with them and ask them to upgrade the DSL code with the new release from Infineon.

L.Goile
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything