Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28

Author Topic: The 'Gimme 5' Game  (Read 112183 times)

Yorkie

• Kitizen
  • I'm working on my warm and fluffy side
Re: The 'Gimme 5' Game
« Reply #390 on: November 14, 2008, 03:32:15 PM »

I don't know either, but I bet it's a sod to get back on, like my bike chain. :(

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #391 on: November 14, 2008, 03:36:09 PM »

Just give the word Yorkie, and I'll be round with a wrench and a tub of grease.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #392 on: November 15, 2008, 12:19:13 AM »

LSP is part of Winsock - if the 'LSP chain' breaks then say bye bye to the internet.

Several years ago, I used to earn a lil bit of 'vino money' by fixing PCs, and I used to get quite a lot of malware and virus removal type jobbies.
At one time I was very interested in virus'/malware and how it all worked so I used to enjoy a challenge.

Anyhow.. one of the things that could often happen back then was if you removed malware which was often written in nasty code, then the links (chain) in the TCP/IP stack would break.

Without TCP/IP (on windows) theres no networking or internet access.

So back in the days before there were nice removal tools, you spend ages manually searching through stuff trying to remove malware, only to find that when you had, it broke the LSP chain.
Pre xP you could repair TCP/IP, but with XP you cant just reinstall it.. so anyone who spent a lot of time removing malware in about the 2002/2003ish period soon knew about LSP.. and a nice lil tool called lspfix..  which I always carried with me if i was doing a virus removal job.

I could probably explain it more elegantly, but its late and Im rambling and I bet you dont really care anyhow  :lol;
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #393 on: November 15, 2008, 12:21:15 AM »

Spuds

:-X

Why the hell do you think my next question was "Gimme 5 objects which I can hide behind"

:lol:
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #394 on: November 15, 2008, 06:44:11 AM »

Kitz, I do care but I've never got my head round 'under the hood' stuff like winsock and tcp/ip... maybe one day if someone explains it simply enough. :)
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #395 on: November 16, 2008, 09:07:15 AM »

Sorry if that came out wrong..  I didnt mean you wouldnt care care. I was in a bit of a flippant mode when I wrote it and its not something that can be explained in a few paragraphs, and I didnt think youd care to know the actual intricacies if you know what I mean.

TCP/IP and the various other protocols arent always too easy to get your head around, but its all to do with data transmission and it can go very deep.  I suppose its kind of akin to someone asking you how a car works - and you have to go right down to brass roots and explain how the car battery works or the light bulb inside the indicator works kind of thing.

Theres tons and tons of stuff to read, and it would take a mini book to explain it all. There's text books almost as thick as a bible just on TCP/IP alone.
Ive studied it in the past,  but I still dont know all of it when it comes to protocols - theres too many of them.

However if you want to know the basic stuff.. it all revolves around the various stages that data goes through so that it can be transmitted over the Internet.

The first thing you have to know is something called the OSI layer, theres a lot of detail about it on the Internet if you really want to read.. but to make it simple some pretty
pictures below that I've drawn in the past, which show the process.  Each of these protocols wrap the data parcels up like lil packets with details on them such as where they've  come from and where they have to go to, and what to do when they get at the other end.  Different bits get wrapped up with other bits and more labels added as you down the chain - eg so say  http requests use tcp/ip.. which is later wrapped with PPP, then you get things like PPPoverATM.  Each of these protocols adding their own instructions on where or how to send the data packets next, which are the 'overheads' which you may have heard of before.

Real basic stuff - vastly simplified, so you get a little bit of an idea.

• When data is transmitted it goes through various stages and various protocols that can be used.  If you like think of this as a chain, to get data out on to the internet.

LSP is just one tiny part of that chain, which sets up your internet access. - See the pics.

• Each piece of software that connects to the internet has a special way of doing so written within it. (a socket - or for windows perhaps better known as Winsock). Its this

that tells it how (which ports it can use) and where to connect to. (and it 'plugs in' to the socket)

• Some 'nasties' or even just badly written programs, when you delete them dont do so properly and also remove part of TCP/IP which it shouldnt. - Think of it like yanking a

electrical plug out of a socket really hard and the front of the plug socket gets pulled away too. So you cant plug anything else back into that socket.

.. and thats exactly what these nasties did when you removed them -  they broke the chain for the operating system to be able to get to the internet. 
Because the link in the chain was broken nothing else, or no other programs could connect.   
In otherwords - remove the nasty.. and hey no more internet access. :(

BTW..  theres an excellent movie intended to give a very gentle and basic introduction to how data gets transmitted on the internet by Warriers of the Net. - Direct download linky.

Enjoy the movie :)

-----

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #396 on: November 16, 2008, 09:16:10 AM »

Just read that,now gimme 5 paracetamols. :D

I'll revive this,

Gimme 5 things you have for christmas lunch

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #397 on: November 16, 2008, 09:45:57 AM »

turkey
stuffing
mince pies
cranberry sauce
vino ( lots of )

not neccessarily in that order.............. :yum: :yum: :yum:

gimme five recipes for stuffing.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #398 on: November 16, 2008, 10:43:37 AM »

Now you're talking TD,I always make my own.

All herbs come fresh from UB's garden. :)

Lemon,Parsley and Thyme

Sage and onion

Sausagemeat,with buttered onions,sage and just a bit of Rosemary

Apricot and almond,

Chopped apple,breadcrumbs,sausagemeat and thyme and majoram.

Gimme 5 fruit desserts

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #399 on: November 16, 2008, 10:50:41 AM »

How do you manage to get the sausage meat away from Blue ?  :-\ ;D

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #400 on: November 16, 2008, 11:53:51 AM »

With these

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #401 on: November 16, 2008, 11:56:37 AM »

:lol: :lol:

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #402 on: November 17, 2008, 06:08:42 AM »

was that the question  :lol:

use the armoured gloves
Sue holds him down whilst Phil gingerly extracts the sausagemeat from Blue's jaws
distract Blue by throwing him a ball
tell him to drop the sausagemeat (over and over and over again)
let him have it and go buy some more!

Gimme 5 names of red wine
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #403 on: November 17, 2008, 07:44:49 AM »

:lol:

Shiraz
Chianti
cabernet sauvignon
Baralo
Burgundy

Gimme 5 Rose wines

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #404 on: December 11, 2008, 10:35:00 AM »

New Gimme 5 for Christmas(eveyone answer to this same post)

Gimme your 5 most favourite things you do on Christmas day.

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28