Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Advice please on Ad Hoc networking  (Read 3204 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Advice please on Ad Hoc networking
« on: March 12, 2014, 08:16:59 PM »

At a local woodturning club I belong to we are looking at replacing our existing 3 cameras (used to display what is going on in a demonstration on a TV) which are hard wired for remote focus/zoom operation with 3 camcorders which use Wi-Fi. Now these camcorders are capable of both ad-hoc and infrastructure networking.

In order to simplify things I am wondering if it is possible to connect all 3 camcorders simultaneously via wi-fi in ad-hoc mode to a laptop thus eliminating an access point. I know connecting a single camcorder (or anything else) in ad-hoc mode would work but what happens with more than one device in ad-hoc mode?

Because of the way we use these 3 cameras currently we need to be able to switch instantly between control of any one camera to another. Not sure yet whether we would want to use wi-fi to pass the image on to the TV via the laptop, or use a single AV or HDMI cable for that, obviously we dont want any significant delay between what is happening in real time and what shows on the TV, the TV is to show what cannot easily be seen by the audience.

Any advice gratefully received....

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Advice please on Ad Hoc networking
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 08:42:29 PM »

After my initial read of your post I thought it would be "do-able". Then I looked at the WIkipedia Wireless ad hoc Network page. Now I am not quite so sure.  :-\

If nobody else has a definite opinion on the subject, would you be able to perform some experiments? That should give you sufficient information as to the viability of the proposal.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 10:10:03 PM »

If nobody else has a definite opinion on the subject, would you be able to perform some experiments? That should give you sufficient information as to the viability of the proposal.

That's the issue here, we dont yet have the camcorders and dont want to invest if it wont work... typical catch 22 situation...

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 10:19:57 PM »

Personally I wouldn't even try, ad-hoc networking has never been that good.

You can get little USB-powered devices to act as access points if you're looking for a very portable solution. e.g. TL-WR702N

anything