Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Windows Live Mail vs Outlook Express  (Read 11859 times)

ianrj

• Just arrived
Windows Live Mail vs Outlook Express
« on: January 13, 2008, 10:43:18 AM »

I have been using OE for about 10 years now and have got used to its appearance and functions. So I thought I'd try Windows Live Mail as OE no longer interfaces with Hotmail.

Yuk! I now have a list of email accounts showing in the folder pane, each with its own deleted folder etc. What is the point of this I wonder? I'm used to collecting my email in one Inbox, and then sorting it automatically or manually to various storage folders. I can cope with some of this using Live Mail, but how do I collect my mail into one Inbox and hide the individual email accounts from the folder pane?

BTW, OE is still my default email handler, but how long before M$ forcefully migrates us through an update (SP3?). It's already happened with Vista of course.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Windows Live Mail vs Outlook Express
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 11:07:01 AM »

I'm not a Windows user so I can't help here, but have you considered any of the non-MS email clients. There are a couple which seem to get the thumbs up from other Windows users.
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 11:40:27 AM »

Been using yahoo mail for years,never any problems,never bother with outlook express.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 12:53:12 PM »

Ian, you may like to have a read at http://www.insideoe.com/faqs/why.htm

This was written in the days of Hotmail, but I believe the fix is still current for thee new fangled Live mail thing.

Why does OE show duplicate messages in my Hotmail or IMAP account?

That can happen OE is configured to both open directly to the Inbox (which downloads headers automatically) and check for new messages when starting (which also downloads headers automatically). To stop the duplicates, simply choose one option or the other, but not both. Click Tools | Options, then remove the check mark for When starting, go directly to my 'Inbox' folder OR the check mark for Send and receive messages at startup. If you already have duplicates showing, click Tools | Synchronize Account or Synchronize All.

maxping

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 03:52:52 PM »

Been using yahoo mail for years,never any problems,never bother with outlook express.

I have never used OE i started with Hotmail and my ISP's email and now use Yahoo instead of Hotmail.

ianrj

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 07:03:30 PM »

In case you haven't seen Live Mail, this is what it looks like. Weird!

« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 07:08:35 PM by ianrj »

panomania

• Bow To the hamster
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 12:35:46 PM »

you can switch to classic look hotmail if you wish.  I do and it seems to run quicker than windows live mail

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 12:43:02 PM »

I think WLM is far superior to OE... been using it for a few weeks now.  I do like the new spam filtering features. :)
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 01:04:24 PM »

I use hotmail classic look,it says to upgrade to WLM you need a fast internet connection(how fast) or does it mean broadband instead of dial up?

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 01:34:41 PM »

Never came across that UB... I only got Live Mail when Live Messenger told me there was an update, and the new mail application was one of several optional extras with it.  At least now you can hook on all your hotmail accounts (about time too).
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2008, 02:54:15 PM »

Just had another look,and there are two boxes.Box 1,No,I'm not ready yet. and Box2, Yes!I want the free upgrade,and I have a fast internet connection.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 03:18:15 PM by UncleUB »

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2008, 10:40:22 PM »

I think we're talking about two different Windows Live Mails here..

UB - presumably the one you're talking about is the web based one (essentially hotmail). In answer to your question by "fast" they mean broadband. I haven't really seen it much, but it seems to be ok - perhaps someone who uses hotmail and has upgraded could provide more info?

Just to confuse things, Microsoft have released a new program fairly recently called "Windows Live Mail" which is basically a new version of Outlook Express. Looks nice, and seems to work well, I'll probably end up upgrading at some point in the next year or two ;)

However, over the years I have tried all manner of mail programs and always end up going back to good old Outlook Express!! Dunno why, it just feels the most comfortable to use to me. Weird.
Chris

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2008, 11:20:29 PM »

Btw, I believe you can access Hotmail using Mozilla Thunderbird with a certain extension that escapes my mind. Thunderbird is far more familiar and asthetically pleasing that WLM.

Also you'll be glad to know that the likes of those nasty Vista style progs such as IE7, WMP11 and WLM do not feature as forced updates in XP SP3 RC2 Refresh so are very unlikely to be included in the final (how much longer will that be!?) so fear not there will still be the choice of using either the basic or more recent M$ software after installing SP3.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2008, 11:27:26 PM »

> (how much longer will that be!?)

They apparently released to manufacturing today - according to El Reg
Chris

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2008, 07:33:07 AM »

<UB - presumably the one you're talking about is the web based one (essentially hotmail). In answer to your question by "fast" they mean broadband. I haven't really seen it much, but it seems to be ok - perhaps someone who uses hotmail and has upgraded could provide more info?>

Yeah,I don't use outlook.Just upgraded and the only difference seems to be you have a choice the way your mail is displayed.