Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Terado tunneling activated  (Read 2506 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Terado tunneling activated
« on: March 11, 2014, 09:04:22 AM »

I suddenly discovered yesterday that my W7 guest on Virtualbox had set up port forwarding for Terado tunnelling on my router when it booted. I assume because UPNP was enabled. On doing some research I discovered that both W7 and W8 will set up this facility by default. This tunnelling is to allow access to IPV6 networks over IPV4 and uses intermediate 'relay' servers on the net to convert the request to IPV6 and pass it on, picks up the message back and converts back to IPV4 and then back to the requester. More is available on Wikipedia.

Apparently there is a possibility that this could be abused and so I turned it off in W7 by issuing this command as Administrator.

Code: [Select]
netsh interface teredo set state disabled

I also turned off UPNP in the hope that any other W7 or W8 PCs which may be used on my Lan cannot set this up.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Terado tunneling activated
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 04:29:37 PM »

Thank you for highlighting the protocol Stuart.

After doing some background reading I was not filled with a warm and fuzzy feeling.  :no:  Probably because I learnt that Terado tunnelling had been developed by Micro$oft:-X
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
Re: Terado tunneling activated
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 04:53:14 PM »

By a strange coincidence, I found this yesterday as well  :D

I'd reflashed my HG612 with the Asbo formware, as I'd noticed that upnp wasn't working on the later Wolfy firmware for this device, even when "enabled" via the interface.

Once up and running, upnp was working, Windows saw a new device on the network, starting a program that wanted ports open would automatically open ports (I know, I know...  :-X ).

Later on I booted a different Windows 7 PC and was surprised to find a "Teredo Tunneling" port open to that machines internal ip address!

I too found it was  Microsoft TCP/IP V4 > V6 thing, but hadn't yet done anything about it, so thanks for the info on how to disable it!

Ian

ps at least having upnp enabled and working properly, you can see which ports are being opened "behind your back" by which computers on your network :)