Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Malicious network attacks  (Read 2070 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Malicious network attacks
« on: March 11, 2014, 07:24:53 AM »

Copied from our 'Loop', information mail. Just for information purposes really to show that this does go on, and seems to be getting worse. This is not aimed at any forum member to 'get involved' in the advice below.  :)

London cuts
There have been a spate of malicious attacks on the BT network in the Greater London area, which are now being investigated by the Police.
At least six attacks have taken place in February, during daylight hours, and it’s believed the culprits are cable thieves posing as Openreach engineering crews.
The attacks have prompted a plea for vigilance by BT and Openreach staff.
Mike Chalmers-Hunt, BT Security head of network crime investigation services, said: “I would appeal to all our people when they are travelling around to be aware of activity by bogus work crews around BT manholes. If you see a work gang operating and feel there is something not quite right about them or their vehicles, then please report it immediately.
“The damage caused by these bogus crews has already caused significant damage to the BT network, resulting in serious disruption of phone and broadband services for customers.
“London is our number one problem area at the moment. We know a number of organised criminal gangs are active and we’re working with the police to track them down. Any piece of new intelligence is very valuable to building the bigger picture and body of evidence needed to secure arrests.”
Incidents of malicious damage to the network in London have been reported in Perivale on 4 February, Kentish Town on 14 February, Isleworth on 22 February, Sunbury on 25 February, and Walthamstow and Palmers Green on 26 February.
In the latest incident, cables were cut at each location within 30 minutes of one another.
Mike added: “All these attacks are taking place in daylight hours. If you see something suspicious it’s important not to approach or challenge the people concerned but to note details like, make, model, colour and index numbers of vehicles used; any company names and telephone numbers displayed; number of and distinguishing features/descriptions of individuals.  Use a mobile phone to take photos if possible and call BT Security on 0800 321 999 to report it. If it’s very clear that something illegal is taking place, you should call 999 first and inform the police and then alert BT Security.”

Thank you
Openeach Security Services

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Malicious network attacks
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 06:52:08 PM »

It seems to be a lucrative business for criminals, who obviously dont care that they are cutting communications.

Wasnt there some sort of gang who were caught a few months back operating in the London area - who were making quite a hefty sum from ripping up BT cabling?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 06:58:10 PM »

Yeah, Kitz. I don't know if I posted the link up on here somewhere, but I think two of the gang that got caught were current BT employees ?? They got quite lengthy sentences though. Good stuff !!!

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 07:53:50 PM »

Yep thats the one I recalled where at least one of them was a BT engineer.  I dont recall seeing you put a link up, but a quick google leads me to this

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2516888/Crooked-BT-workers-plotted-copper-thieves-steal-280-000-underground-telephone-cables.html
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker