Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: VDSL Bit loading indicating a fault?  (Read 21578 times)

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: VDSL Bit loading indicating a fault?
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2014, 02:37:16 PM »

Multi-tasking is a woman's job isn't it?

That's my excuse anyway & I'm sticking to it  :lol:

chuffer

« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2014, 03:00:48 PM »

Thanks everybody for useful comments and here is a bit of background.
My 5 week old fibre installation was supplied with a ECI/r which I read has better speeds.
My HG612 I bought 18 months ago and when I discovered I could not get stats from the ECI  I connected the 612 yesterday.
I'm slowly coming to grips with the monitoring.
For a long time my 2.5 mile ADSL gave me 2.5Mb down before dropping to 1.34.
Over a few weeks several BT/OR helpful engineers did their best to restore it to no avail ending up with ** the cable has probably depreciated and that's the best it can now achieve.**, it's always been stable but    s  l  o  w.
Roll on a few years and FTTC finally available, I'm first on the cabinet getting 25Mb down but a low 1.5 up which after a few days settles to 20/1.2
ISP arranged BT/OR engineer does his best and I end up with 20/2.2 ( bit better, no pun intended ) my ping is anything between 60 and 16.
He says the records show my line length to be 1400m, but the new pole installed 3/4 years ago is not on his plan, confirms no taps or aluminium.
My previous drop wire feed from a pole at the rear very likely is 1400Mts but the new pole in the front is at least 260Mts shorter.
Due to the road layout, in a valley one road up/down and having watched the OR guys pull the fibre, ( as you do ) its clear the main ducting runs along the main road.
Also having previously watched them install the new pole and feed ducting from a chamber I think using Google Earth I can measure the cable length quite accurately give or take a bit !, the only unknown part is the chamber to main duct, so I think is total is 1100Mts max, the downs about right but the up !..
Because of the ADSL history I still feel I have one or more poor connections in the last leg.
The disparity of the figures from the BTW can I get FTTC site, were 23.7 to 17 down, 4.7 to 2.8 up, so from the off the down was higher and the up was very low.
I know a user who is 470Mts from the cab and reports 60/13, from published, what you could expect, 1250m,17/5 and 500m 38/15 so he is a very lucky boy to be getting 60Mb down but his up is what you would expect !..
I fully understand the down/up operate at different frequencies but................
The 612 modem flashed firmware is with no BT agent, and as the ECI is reported as faster I'll probably put it back sometime, right now I'm interested in stability and having an idea whats going on, left a computer running overnight monitoring but this morning it had stopped with several errors so that's work in progress.
Thanks

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2014, 04:03:28 PM »

If you're prepared to put your postcode on, I may be able to deduce the actual cable length ??

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2014, 05:04:58 PM »

PM delivered.  :)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2014, 05:21:07 PM »

@ Coin,

As far as I'm aware there is only one physical size of ECI cabinet which can also be identified externally from a Huawei one, as it has many more ventilation slots especially designed for friendly "visiting" dogs !

The internals are also identical for ECI 128s and ECI 256s, except for terminating IDC connector blocks and, more importantly, the number of dual Telco 64 cables/connectors. Why they haven't put all four dual Telco 64 cables in beggars belief as any that require upgrades now must require a degree of dismantling live-working cabinets. They also seem to have ignored any cross-patching capability to overcome line card faults. I can't fathom why BT don't include at least dual ducts nor why they throw away 28 or 56 connections as they never seem (at least in this part of Surrey) to install 100 pr AND a 50 pr tie cable sets.

BT were especially stupid in Ewhurst as they only installed ECI 128s despite VERY strong comments as our Vtesse Networks project BT destroyed has specified cabinets with a total capacity of 500 services EACH. Two of the cabinets have run out of capacity already and they only have single ducts to the PCPs whereas BT always install double ducts when 2 pairs of 100 pr tie cables are installed initially. The third cabinet BT "saved money" by using an existing duct with other cables installed. They got the tie cables and the fibre one in but then had to try three separate visits before they managed to insert a rod to pull in the 5 pr telemetry cable. Only the Almighty knows (at least at present) how much damage the other cables have suffered. When any expansion of ANY service - including the mythical FoD (Ha Ha Ha) fibre cables - is required, road excavation will be mandatory.

Kind regards,
Walter

Walter, for information (via a quote from one of our elite) ...... 'We currently have 142 exchanges enabled for FoD and will continue to enable exchanges on a quarterly basis. We are due to announce a further 161 exchanges in March which will be enabled by the end of that month'.

chuffer

« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2014, 07:36:18 PM »

With some professional help I now know my cable length is 1225 mts against BTW saying it's 1400 and I would be grateful for any comments on the attached graphs.

My starting point is of course I would like it to be faster !, it has been pointed out My 612 does not have the latest firmware which would gain a bit more throughput but I did not want the complication of the upgrade removing the GUI Etc and I'll probably put my ECI/r back later or I may buy a integrated unit.
Do you think that 1225 mts would be long enough to prevent anything over tone 1149 being usable ?
The BTW website estimate was 23.7-17 and 4.7 - 2.8, as the max it looked as though I was going to get was 25 Mb I ordered a 40/10 package and I wonder how the restriction is done and might there be an error in it's setup ?.
My ADSL router reported a line attenuation of 63.5, whilst I understand that was probably the highest number it could display and so could have been higher, I was getting 1.34/0.448 on some 4850 mts of cable, if I have understood correctly the HG612 is reporting 25.7, 75.8 and 102.3 on higher frequency signals, do these look reasonable ?.
I was also intrigued to learn that the old ADSL Dslam was not disconnected at the time of the FTTC install as I would have thought it would/might cause interference with them both active but I'm told the Fibre Dslam contains a filter removing them.
I have Googled    Quiet Line Test   but have not found anything that might explain the graph here, is it good or bad ?.
The xdslcmd page shows a Max downstream is 25200 using 20114 and a upstream rate of 15604 and using 2651, is that an error of the program ?, my actual upstream rate is below the BTW estimate and the up is above the lowest.
And finally, do the Adsl BRAS step rates apply in the same way to Vdsl as there seems to be quite a big step between 25Mb max and 20Mb achieved ?.
I am mindful that BE1 has reported a sync rate on a similar line length of 30/7 (yes please )
Thanks.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2014, 10:25:29 PM »

With some professional help I now know my cable length is 1225 mts against BTW saying it's 1400 and I would be grateful for any comments on the attached graphs.

My starting point is of course I would like it to be faster !, it has been pointed out My 612 does not have the latest firmware which would gain a bit more throughput but I did not want the complication of the upgrade removing the GUI Etc and I'll probably put my ECI/r back later or I may buy a integrated unit.

If you do that, you will lose access to the detailed stats.

The bcm96368MVWG_fs_kernel_HG612V100R001C01B030SP06_unlockedgui firmware image from the 'Experimental' area accessed via the link below appears to work very well & it does re-enble the GUI:-

https://mega.co.nz/#F!LdJFDIJL!e_E1twsIg2kTet8mPjrb4w

Unlike the original firmware images, the updated images do also report US data for QLN, SNR & Hlog.

Do you think that 1225 mts would be long enough to prevent anything over tone 1149 being usable ?

In a word, yes.

The BTW website estimate was 23.7-17 and 4.7 - 2.8, as the max it looked as though I was going to get was 25 Mb I ordered a 40/10 package and I wonder how the restriction is done and might there be an error in it's setup ?.
My ADSL router reported a line attenuation of 63.5, whilst I understand that was probably the highest number it could display and so could have been higher, I was getting 1.34/0.448 on some 4850 mts of cable, if I have understood correctly the HG612 is reporting 25.7, 75.8 and 102.3 on higher frequency signals, do these look reasonable ?.

They look reasonable for a line length of 1225m or slightly longer, when taking any 'slack',  up & down the pole, drop wire length etc. into acount.

At anything over 70dB Line Attenuation, signal attenuation is likely to be even worse i.e. unuseable.
The updated images do now show Signal attenuation differently:-

VDSL Band Status     U0     U1      U2      U3      U4      D1      D2      D3
  Line Attenuation(dB):    8.0    52.6     N/A     N/A     N/A    21.5    64.6     N/A   
Signal Attenuation(dB):    8.0    52.3     N/A     N/A     N/A    30.1    64.3     N/A

I was also intrigued to learn that the old ADSL Dslam was not disconnected at the time of the FTTC install as I would have thought it would/might cause interference with them both active but I'm told the Fibre Dslam contains a filter removing them.
I have Googled    Quiet Line Test   but have not found anything that might explain the graph here, is it good or bad ?.

It has a reasonable base level of around -140dB, but the many spikes to -120dB or so do indicate quite a lot of noise 'interference' at the time the connection resynced

The xdslcmd page shows a Max downstream is 25200 using 20114 and a upstream rate of 15604 and using 2651, is that an error of the program ?, my actual upstream rate is below the BTW estimate and the up is above the lowest.

15604 Kbps Attainable (Max) US is impossible over your line length.
2651 Kbps is more realistic.

I would very much like to see the raw data from the Plink log that was used to generate your montage.
Something isn't right.

Are you able to zip that Plink log down to a size that can be posted in this forum?

There is no way that US SNR can really be 6502.4 dB as shown in the xdslcmd info --show data.
Neither can all the US SNRM data actually be N/A as shown in the xdslcmd info --pbParams data.

Does the Portrait montage also show the same (incorrect) data?

If so, my 'guess' is that you have somehow gathered spurious data.
Maybe the modem was in mid-flow of updating its stored data just at the same time you obtained the data to generate the graphs.

All the data shown in your montage from 1st March is more realistic.

And finally, do the Adsl BRAS step rates apply in the same way to Vdsl as there seems to be quite a big step between 25Mb max and 20Mb achieved ?.
I am mindful that BE1 has reported a sync rate on a similar line length of 30/7 (yes please )

Your connection has a DS Interleaving depth of 467 (fairly low), but US Interleaving depth of 57 is quite high (it is usually only 1, i.e. OFF on a problem free connection).

Do you have any ongoing graphs/data that we could see to determine if there is any obvious pattern to the noise 'interference' levels?

Finally, your Hlog graph has worsened since 1st March, indicating a possible issue.
Even though it's not at tones/frequencies your connection can actually use, it MIGHT be having some effect on those it can use.

chuffer

« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2014, 07:04:05 PM »

BE1, Thanks, Before I break it, again, can I please confirm my understanding of your reply.
I have read on the forum somewhere that in some cases the BT upgrade removed the GUI and I thought it said that (at that time ) it could not be put back which is why I thought it best to flash with No Bt agent. ( I do need to change it's IP address )
Is the firmware you suggested capable of putting the GUI back even if it's removed by BT ?. ( not sure if it gets removed or just disabled, again )

I have not been able to capture the ongoing graphs, I did have set 23.58 but it did not save.
I then had 12 o'clock save ticked which I checked at 10am this morning but coming back to the laptop around 15.30 I woke up the screen to discover it had froze.
I have checked and I'm not set to hibernate only turn off HD after 10 Mins and screen after 30 Mins.
After a Windows restart I have now set to 18.00 and the current uptime is 1 day 21 hrs  with a retrain reason of 0 and still shows the same large upstream attainable.
So as not to "annoy" the Dslam I have not power cycled the modem, from memory when I first connected the flashed 612 I'm sure Interleave was off, I can't find that information in the snapshots although the upstream Max was then 3055.

We are both showing version 4.1 but you have more information lines than me, I think when I selected the snapshot it checked for updates and I think it did a download ?, my plink from that is attached.

Yes, my portrait montage show the same data.

Re line length, we have allowed for the slack and up/down poles.

Thx.

I have now been able to capture the ongoing stats, there is corruption in the labels on all graphs, what would you like to see ?

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2014, 09:30:22 PM »

BE1, Thanks, Before I break it, again, can I please confirm my understanding of your reply.
I have read on the forum somewhere that in some cases the BT upgrade removed the GUI and I thought it said that (at that time ) it could not be put back which is why I thought it best to flash with No Bt agent. ( I do need to change it's IP address )

Is the firmware you suggested capable of putting the GUI back even if it's removed by BT ?. ( not sure if it gets removed or just disabled, again )

Yes it does restore the GUI where you can change the IP Address etc.

I have not been able to capture the ongoing graphs, I did have set 23.58 but it did not save.
I then had 12 o'clock save ticked which I checked at 10am this morning but coming back to the laptop around 15.30 I woke up the screen to discover it had froze.

I have checked and I'm not set to hibernate only turn off HD after 10 Mins and screen after 30 Mins.

I don't think those settings should cause any problems.

After a Windows restart I have now set to 18.00 and the current uptime is 1 day 21 hrs  with a retrain reason of 0 and still shows the same large upstream attainable.

So as not to "annoy" the Dslam I have not power cycled the modem, from memory when I first connected the flashed 612 I'm sure Interleave was off, I can't find that information in the snapshots although the upstream Max was then 3055.

We are both showing version 4.1 but you have more information lines than me, I think when I selected the snapshot it checked for updates and I think it did a download ?, my plink from that is attached.

The firmware version you are using (DSL PHY: AnnexA version - A2pv6C035m.d22g) shouldn't cause any problems, but it does generate fewer rows of data for the Plink log than the updated firmware versions.

My programs don't actually download anything (if you mean via the internet).

The Stats logging GUI, written by RONSKI, does check for its latest version each time it is started though (if you have that option selected in the GUI settings tab).

Yes, my portrait montage show the same data.

Re line length, we have allowed for the slack and up/down poles.

I have now been able to capture the ongoing stats, there is corruption in the labels on all graphs, what would you like to see ?

I have attached a zip file containing the latest versions of the programs that I have worked on recently.

Could you unzip them into the Scripts folder, overwiting the current versions?

Then check your clock is somewhere around 30 seconds past the minute & run this batch file:-

HG612_stats_to_TXT_file.BAT

It will run HG612_stats.exe in the background & create a text file named HG612_stats.TXT that stores the program flow data that is usually not seen.

After you have done that, zipped copies of these files will help to pin down where things are going wrong:-

From the Ongoing_Stats folder:-
ERROR.LOG
ERROR.LOG_file_ERROR.TXT
xlogfile.txt
modem_stats.log

From the Current_Stats folder:-
RESYNC.LOG
Current_ERROR.LOG

From the Scripts folder:-
HG612_stats.TXT
Login_events.TXT
info.txt
HG612_stats.ini

I don't think it's a program problem as you are the first person to have reported corrupted graph labels & I have not previously seen such odd attainable rates & spurious US SNRM values.

EDIT:

Programs from 6th March removed & replaced with programs from 8th, lower down this thread.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 01:41:06 PM by Bald_Eagle1 »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2014, 10:26:11 PM »

If you do that, you will lose access to the detailed stats.

Just to show that the firmware BE1 has highlighted the GUI is back and working well  ;)

chuffer

« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2014, 01:00:51 PM »

Hi All.
Thanks Guys, much appreciate the help being given here !.

BE1, I have downloaded the zip file which you said I should/could copy into the script folder.
I was surprised to see the tree in the screen capture, thought I would just check that I just copy the files in the script folder and ignore the rest ?,
I know they are all empty but, just need to be sure before I mess it up, doesn't take much to confuse me as it's not like the tree I have installed.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2014, 01:32:11 PM »

Apologies for that.

I didn't intend to include the tree from my testing folders.

I have attached another zip file without the tree (also slightly amended programs).

chuffer

« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2014, 02:36:48 PM »

Thanks B_E1. and no probs.

I'm on the case.
Pages: 1 2 [3]