Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Gnome or KDE?  (Read 12838 times)

Re: Gnome or KDE?
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2008, 08:31:12 PM »

Totally bemused now :)

I rip the DVD to the hard disk, removing all menus, encryption and region coding. It works in all the media players.

I write it to a DVD - still no menus, encryption or region coding. It plays video in Totem but no sound. It doesn't play at all in other media players.

I think I'll give the KDE version a try. I can't see why it'd be any different but I have another hard drive I could use anyway.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2008, 10:37:14 PM »

KDE has Kaffeine and Amarok, which seem to cover most multimedia needs. I can't explain your results, but it will be interesting to see if the KDE programs work any differently.
  Eric

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2008, 08:57:18 AM »

I'm going to try it in about half an hour. I'm fairly convinced its something to do with the drive's region setting being incorrectly reported as region 1 but I have no idea how to "fix" it. I'll report back later.....

Edit - much later as something has come up. Doesn't it always :(
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 09:39:26 AM by rizla »

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2008, 01:20:21 PM »

Just installed the KDE version - updating now. The very first thing I noticed was that the sound was RADICALLY different. This is on an old NForce2 (or maybe 3) motherboard and it has 6 channel sound although I'm only using 2 channels right now. In the Gnome edition there was no way of getting any mixer functions - nor even tone control. In the KDE edition we have full control. Progress - hopefully the right sort of progress :)

I'll switch over to the PC Linux OS 2007 thread now...........
Pages: 1 [2]

anything