Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Second Line Install Query  (Read 2029 times)

HighBeta

• Reg Member
Second Line Install Query
« on: March 07, 2014, 02:16:35 AM »

Thinking of getting a second fttc line installed.

At the moment the current fttc line runs:

Up from the ground----->Black wire into box gray (BT66B?) ------> Single brown wire --------> up into the loft-------->  block terminal ------> white extension along the roof space ------->  Down into spare (1st foor) room -------> Then finally into the nte5.

The second FTTC line would also be preferably placed in the same 1st floor room close to the existing nte5.

With the current  rules on working in "confined spaces" would it be  feasible for an engineer of the black sheep flock
to reroute a second brown wire from the gray BT66B, the short distance along the side of the house , directly into the 1st floor , into a second  NTE5's?  { Pre-Dilled entry point is already in place}.

Or would some other install option be considered  from the gray outside box when dealing with existing  loft points ?

Thanks! ;)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 02:51:19 AM by HighBeta »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Second Line Install Query
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 07:23:23 AM »

I have to be honest, it sounds like your 1st line takes a rather elongated route ?? I can only assume there were other sockets connected previously ??

I digress, back to the question in hand. Absolutely we would cleat a cable from the grey box (BT66), along the wall and straight through the pre-drilled hole (bonus points for us is a pre-drilled hole  ;D).
At the end of the day, it's your premises and you could insist on this preferred method, as my only concern is you get a 'Contractor' who will just want to 'patch' the 2nd line through the existing cables in order to get a quicker solution ?  :)

HighBeta

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 03:56:17 PM »

Thanks Black Sheep.

That is indeed my concern, that the patch option would be taken. I've never understood why that choice of route was chosen and with the line having very low errors , the engineers have been reluctant to change it.

One of the main reasons for getting a second fftc line is to have a correct direct route into the nte5.

Then the existing line can be  eventually decommissioned or just kept for second phone line for the family.

Doubt an installing engineer would be open to a re-route of the existing line even with tea & endless supply of bacon butty's .

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 05:45:06 PM »

TBH, re-locating the existing line alongside your newer 2nd line, would literally be an extra 10-15 mins work.
The cable that would be cleated from the BT66 to where the NTE is required, can carry two lines. So, it would just require the engineer to put 2 NTE's side-by-side at the new location.

Tea, biccies, bacon butties, bottle of cheap plonk (individually, or a combination of) ….. are all good starting points  ;) ;D. Plus, "Is there anything I can do to help you", always endears me slightly more towards the EU and efforts put in, above and beyond.

So, I would go for it, and hope you get an OR engineer. If it's a Contractor, you may need to slip them a tenner to re-locate the existing NTE. Just my thoughts, as everyone works differently.  :)