Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: All taken within minutes  (Read 2078 times)

renluop

• Kitizen
All taken within minutes
« on: March 05, 2014, 02:36:53 PM »

Please see attachment. All the readings were taken within a few minutes of each other, and allowing for any stupidity on my part, do not seem to be completely logical. For instance, DSLstats has U/s sync 571 kbps, whilst Speed of Me has 610 kbps, and, moreover, BT has .48 Mbps with profile .83 Mbps.

Any comments for #1 easily confused person? Please!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 02:40:15 PM by renluop »

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
Re: All taken within minutes
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 03:24:51 PM »

I wonder if it's congestion varying on different paths to those different test sites.

Yesterday I was trying out an old modem and went to speedtest.net for a throughput check.  I was amazed how badly it performed, with the speed varying greatly during the test.  Speedtest.net had automatically chosen a server in London for me, but when I manually chose a different one on the site, I got much more stable and realistic speeds.

I imagine all any of those sites are doing is measuring the speed of data throughput between you and a given server, where all parts (your line, your ISP, trunk data routes, the destination ISP & server etc etc) are going to play a part in the overall performance.

Ian

renluop

• Kitizen
Re: All taken within minutes
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 04:07:32 PM »

Maybe I should have emphasized  the upstream elements; an upstream through put greater than sync reported in DSLstats and BT report of IP profile way above sync obtained. BTW until a week back syncs were 8229 and the up was much closer to what would be expected of uncapped.

anything