Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: WARNING - speedtest.net possibly compromised?  (Read 7875 times)

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
Re: WARNING - speedtest.net possibly compromised?
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2014, 01:13:56 AM »

I used speedtest.net on Tuesday afternoon, when I was comparing two modems.

Having read this thread, I ran MSE over the whole computer and it found no problems.  I also looked for the rogue files mentioned, and didn't find any.

Perhaps foolishly, on Wednesday afternoon I went back to speedtest.net, ran the test, and then checked again for virus & malware using MSE and Malwarebytes and nothing was found.

Maybe there a brief time when the speedtest.net site was compromised?  Or it came from somewhere else?

Ian

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2014, 06:25:37 AM »

FWIW, I installed a Java update this evening - Version 7 Update 51 (build 1.7.0_51-b13)

On visiting speedtest.net again, I saw no issues whatsoever.

So either the exploit has gone or an updated version of Java has dealt with it.

That update has been available for some time now.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2014, 07:32:50 AM »

Very likely to be a London server as it usually defaults to there based upon best ping times.

I'm with Plusnet, based in Sheffield, but I gather a lot of traffic is routed from their London server(s).
Hence the best ping being from a server located almost 200 miles from my home?
Another Plusnetter here. and usually directed to London or may be Maidenhead, but there are nearer servers a the crow flies. So how should one choose a server for a test?

A thought..... may be using a crow flight path is too risky with a large predatory avian aloft. :o

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2014, 08:37:57 AM »

I have seen a fair few corrupted Java installs in the last few months with various exploits embedded, could that be the source, not necessarily ST.N itself?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2014, 07:12:15 PM »

Another Plusnetter here. and usually directed to London or may be Maidenhead, but there are nearer servers a the crow flies. So how should one choose a server for a test?

A thought..... may be using a crow flight path is too risky with a large predatory avian aloft. :o

London or Maidenhead are fine.   Choosing a server nearer to your home address would only add to the latency. Since Plusnets all go to one or other of the Telehouses, then select any of them.

If you want to be really exact look at the gateway you are connected to by doing a tracert. Im not as up todate as I used to be with regard to the PN network topology...  but this is what they used to mean, I cant see any reason why they would have changed this method in the past few years, but who knows:-

ptw = telehouse west
pte = telehouse east
pcl = telehouse london / metro
thn = telehouse north

The telehouse locations are listed here
http://www.telehouse.net/Global-Data-Centers/EMEA/UK-Data-Centres/London-Data-Centres

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

bibacet

• Just arrived
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2014, 08:57:12 PM »

Running an old version of Java is suicidal.

You should enable click-to-play plug-in mode if you use Firefox or Chrome.

Secunia PSI can be used to monitor for updates.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2014, 10:10:00 PM »

So it would seem  :(

I had disabled automatic updates a long time ago as an update I allowed then stopped BT's speed/performance tester working.

I had forgotten all about disabling updates, but I have re-enabled them now, with the option to be notified before installing them.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2014, 11:38:55 PM »

So it would seem  :(

I had disabled automatic updates a long time ago as an update I allowed then stopped BT's speed/performance tester working.

I had forgotten all about disabling updates, but I have re-enabled them now, with the option to be notified before installing them.

I know exactly what your talking about the old BT speed/performance test Web Site used to use the Java 5.0 a few year or so if you updated Java to 6.0 it would not work, the fix was to uninstall all old Java installs and use the new Oracle Java SE Windows x86 offline download
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 12:05:49 AM by NewtronStar »
Pages: 1 [2]

anything