Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Please add any experience of adsl filters for Alarm systems  (Read 3871 times)

setecio

• Reg Member
Please add any experience of adsl filters for Alarm systems
« on: January 12, 2008, 02:54:43 PM »

After reading : http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_hardwired.htm and various other articles, I'm trying to gather some info regarding adsl filters fitted onto house Alarm systems. They are necessary as explained in the article, but a few points struck me about them :

a) I think I'm correct in saying you have to get the Alarm company to install them if you want yourself to be fully covered. If there was any malfunction of the alarm system it would give them and possibly the insurance company and easy 'out' from paying out after a break in, if it was fitted by someone else.

b) Given the above, you are then reliant on the alarm company correctly installng a good quality filter. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of the filters used by alarm companies ?

c) I think I'm also correct in saying you need to have the alarm filter installed before you activate broadband, or, as explained in the link, the alarm might malfunction when no filter is present.

d) Given that the alarm systems being discussed here are 'monitored' alarms, should it be the alarm company's responsibility to be able to detect a malfunctioning alarm. Surely it should 'dial-in' regularly to confirm it is working. Whose responsibility is it to ensure the alarm is working. I'm sure there are many people out there who never thought about an alarm filter, got adsl, and adsl works without the filter .... what happens if their alarm isn't working because of this ?

e) Who should pay for the installation of an adsl filter and will it be BT prices at around £200 ?

If you have any experience or knowledge of this area, please add any relevant info. Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 10:06:26 AM by setecio »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Please add any eperience of adsl filters for Alarm systems
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 02:55:12 PM »

Dunno much about the alarm stuff tbh.

The only instance Ive ever come across it is actually within the past couple of weeks.  User has a redcare alarm system...  and it was all working ok until his lodger cut the wire on the alarm.  -  From what I saw when the alarm system is cut - this then sends a signal down the phone line to alert the monitoring company.  This then makes the phone totally useless - ie voice doesnt work at all.. and obviously the adsl isnt too hot either.

This sort of stuff is way over my head and despite my nagging, said user still wont pay the necessary fee to get BT out to sort it (quoted around £160) because I aint gonna touch it.  The house I visited had the twisted pair come straight into the property where first there was the redcare box/filter (identifiable  because it was marked "RED").... then the master phone socket.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 03:37:27 PM »

With BT Redcare the line should be terminated on the screw terminals on the master socket as per normal and then the redcare block is also wired to the screw terminals. This means that the alarm is always connected, and the line can still be tested or used as per normal at the test socket without disconnecting anything.

Some engineers don't fit the NTE5 and just put in the Redcare block which is not the standard practice.

The SIN document about redcare suggests that it is fully compatible with voice and ADSL services, which would suggest no filtering is required whatsoever.

The Redcare block is considered the demarcation point between the network and the customers alarm system so it shouldn't technically be fiddled with either.

setecio

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 04:22:10 PM »

That must be why the redcare system is tied into BT (BT redcare) and that you can't tranfer your line rental elsewhere. Was told that when I tried that for someone and it was blocked by BT.

setecio

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 09:12:37 AM »

I just realised something

..... I think most alarm systems are connected in to the internal telephone wiring system and thus a good master NTE5 adsl filtered faceplate would also provide filtering for the alarm system. Since only BT can work beyond the mastersocket, I would presume that only the BT redcare system is one that requires the alarm company to come and fit the filter (if indeed that is even necessary as pointed out by som). For all the other alarm company systems, a a good master NTE5 adsl filtered faceplate would work, and avoid having to call the alarm company and guarantees a good quality filter.

(eg http://www.clarity.it/xcart/product.php?productid=16134&cat=262&page=1 )
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 09:16:28 AM by setecio »

graevine1

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 09:26:50 PM »

Well done youve got some really great sensible observations.