Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Phoneline calls impact snr drops  (Read 7555 times)

srt

• Reg Member
Re: Phoneline calls impact snr drops
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2014, 10:04:18 AM »

Doh - snr is here :-[

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2014, 12:58:57 PM »

here is pic

« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 01:01:05 PM by Chrysalis »

srt

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2014, 10:02:41 AM »

Still odd behaviour with phone calls + low upload speeds and sloooow web page loading :(

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2014, 03:01:14 PM »

For the 80/20 Mbps services that you are paying for, the BTWholesale result shows that the circuit is performing very poorly. Have you performed the further tests that are offered once that initial result screen is shown?

Why not save the money and have it downgraded to 40/10 Mbps?

From the symptoms, I am fairly convinced that there is a HR or semi-conducting joint somewhere in the D-side loop . . .
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

srt

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2014, 08:45:23 AM »

Thanks bk. I think you have a good point about the downgrade :-\
I am still awaiting the OR people to finish this mborc issue which is allegedly causing them problems. BT said that was the reason for my last four no shows and they arent sure anyone will turn up if I elect for another appointment just yet :no:
Once I do get an engineer on the case I will have a better idea as to ditching the higher service - - - I think ???
It certainly seems fishy that the drops occur with a phone call, answered or not added to the strange upload and slow web loading :'(
Ive asked my bt chap to let next week pass as I have a lot happening around the house so maybe the following week :-X

srt

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2014, 10:27:42 AM »

Well after numerous delays an "engineer" finally made it on sixth attempt ::)
The guy went through usual tests and usual answer was its testing ok. I asked about the data showing drops and he agreed it was not normal when phone was used so went of to put me on a different copper at the cab.
He was preparing to leave and I asked about the faceplate which still had the broadband and phone lines in the test socket. He said it would be ok like that :no: and I pointed out I wanted it replacing and also mentioned the Mark2 model. He said he thought mine was a mark 2 and almost denied hearing of them at which I said I was rather disconcerted, so he went to van and came back with a mark 2. As the line still showed drops he said it would need new equipment and went of again saying the line would be out again for a while which it didnt. in the meantime BT India called trying to speak to engineer but his phone was going to voicemail.
Engineer returned saying they could not find fault but would be monitoring it along with some other points about the data recorder I was using not being common or somesuch. Anyway I chaecked routerstats this morning and now I have noise on my quiet line and all manner of extra activity without my even using the phone :'(
Ive contacted the BT exec chap I am getting assistance from for his thoughts. Anyone have views on this scenario?

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2014, 08:57:48 PM »

Yes your SNRM dips have got worse since march with the MKII faceplate installed and TBH I went back to MKI faceplate as the MKII seemed to create more errors in the stats when the phone rings

Though I did give the the A and B wires on the NTE5 a couple of punch downs before replacing the MKI faceplate.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 09:00:12 PM by NewtronStar »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2014, 07:56:21 AM »

guys I resized my above image, sorry it was so large.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2014, 07:59:28 PM »

I thought that image was a carpet now I can see the whole story  ;D

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2014, 11:14:25 PM »

No worries. At the time, I just saved a local copy of the image and hence it was scaled to fit the screen when I subsequently viewed it.  ;)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2014, 11:22:58 PM »

Anyway I chaecked routerstats this morning and now I have noise on my quiet line and all manner of extra activity without my even using the phone :'(
Ive contacted the BT exec chap I am getting assistance from for his thoughts. Anyone have views on this scenario?

Audible noise when performing a quiet-line test is indicative of a defective metallic pathway and is totally unacceptable for the telephony service. If that is the case then Openreach will be required to attend to the defect, as there is a obligation with regards to every telephony circuit. The "higher-level" BT entity, with whom you are in contact, should be fully aware of that obligation.

srt

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2014, 11:46:08 AM »

Well its some time since last post and I have experienced other issues including loss of voice and broadband line for three days :(
That seems due to some weather issues and its up and running again. I dont seem to have any noise on line now but the snr drops are still evident.
The bt chap seems not very interested tbh and just ignores my questions saying the engineers dont see a fault ::)
I have asked about goodwill gestures re missed appointments and also going back to infinity 1. Sounds like a good title for a film :shrug2:
Ive posted latest graph for today which shows my line is plodding through the dlm palava ::)

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2014, 08:50:29 PM »

I have a vague recollection of either Ezzer or Black Sheep mentioning that the gas-discharge tubes, when sufficiently aged, had been found to have a detrimental effect on an xDSL signal.

What I may have mentioned in the past is a suspision of the surge device in the NTE causing some issues. Definately a link when I could see a pattern in the black plastic of the rear cover of older NTE's. The black dye seems to show the signs of a heavy static discharge comming off the surge device. The white coloured plastic hides this effect. The pattering does not indicate that there is a problem with the surge device. It seems to be common on NTE's in lightning prone areas.
But if I found the nte to cause the problem (snipping the surge device off confirmed this, Fine for me to try as I had a van with plently new ones to back up my suspicion) the older ones with the green plastic at the rear were eyer to check as the surge device could be pulled out and refitted
Pages: 1 [2]

anything