Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Faulty ECI ports?  (Read 9615 times)

Splash

Faulty ECI ports?
« on: March 01, 2014, 07:50:38 PM »

Upgraded to FTTC again, day 1 sync was low-40s for down, and less than 9 for up (speed hasn't lowered since then) - same speeds as the fault I had six months into my last FTTC contract which was fixed with a lift and shift (back up to over 100 attainable).

Had a Openreach broadband engineer out, says he tested on spare port and I was getting bad speeds on there as well, he mentioned faults were quite common with either the line cards or ports, can't remember which one. Also read on here somewhere that there was faults with either one of them everyday, what's going on with the ECI hardware!? He said it should take over a week for them to get whoever's job it is to come out and sort it out, so I'll wait a few weeks before contacting my ISP to send another out.

BTW, got a free MK2 from the MI sub contractor (never asked). :P

HighBeta

• Reg Member
Re: Faulty ECI ports?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 12:09:54 AM »

Black Sheep noted the ECI firmware issue....

I've had the same scenario as you have had just a couple of times, whereby to all intents and purposes the tester/modem is 'talking' to the DSLAM and passing data error-free, but the EU can't access web-pages. Protocol is to contact OR's Helpdesk and request our side of the circuits 'Build' details, which are the C-Tag and S-Tag parameters. We then get passed to BT Wholesale who confirm these parameters against their side of the 'Build'.

On both occasions, the 'Build' was correct. The only way we found to solve the issue was to perform a 'Lift & Shift' (New port) to a completely different card. Even porting to a 'Spare' on the same card didn't work. These were both ECI vendors as well I might add.

The problem, along with other issues, was found to be the V-TUC cards in the VDSL Cabinet that ECI had provided. Their latest firmware upgrade appeared to be incompatible with the V-TUC V3 cards, and so a programme was put in place locally to swap out all these cards for the V-TUC V2 cards. I actually rode shotgun with the guy that did it, and umpteen issues we had went away overnight. The very same card situation had also caused major problems in York, the ECI engineer told me, as he had been there the week before doing 'Swap outs'.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 09:39:27 AM »

Well dug out, HighBeta, Thanks.  :)

Splash

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 07:24:22 PM »

So it looks like someone will go out to the cab by the end of the month and check the cards? Will they swap them out over night if need be? And will I need to get a broadband engineer out to reset the profile?

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 07:30:06 PM »

I wouldn't have any idea what will happen next, or when ??

If it is a card fault, then they would swop it out there and then. it's literally a 2 minute job. I can only speak in generic terms, as I don't know the full story of your fault.

Splash

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 11:49:41 PM »

I wouldn't have any idea what will happen next, or when ??

If it is a card fault, then they would swop it out there and then. it's literally a 2 minute job. I can only speak in generic terms, as I don't know the full story of your fault.

Sent you a PM, would appreciate any input.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 07:18:49 AM »

Got your PM.

Thought it may be best to respond here for others knowledge, also. The 'Case' the engineer has had to raise is what's called a 'LUMS Case'. To be fair, it's not the engineer that actually raises it, it's our GEA Helpdesk that do this.
They will only raise one if there are no spare ports available, or, if subsequent available spares continue to test faulty.
The only thing I can't help you with is an ETA of when BTo will attend site and either 'Re-seat' the DSLAM card, or in fact change it out ?? They are a separate LOB to Openreach, and we have no access to their workstacks.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 03:39:58 PM »

They are a separate LOB to Openreach, and we have no access to their workstacks.

For the advancement of communal knowledge, may I make a statement in the form of a clarifying question, please?  ;)

The "They" to which you refer, above, are the Operate engineering staff, a separate division of the BT Group, who are responsible for all the exchange and cabinet based equipment?  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 04:15:13 PM »

Yes sir.  ;D

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 04:48:29 PM »

Thank you.  :D
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2014, 11:19:28 PM »

any idea how he got the engineer to test spare port with a sync speed of over 40, when I was told Openreach will refuse to do anything on the up to 80 service unless speeds are "below" 40?

Splash

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2014, 12:20:38 AM »

any idea how he got the engineer to test spare port with a sync speed of over 40, when I was told Openreach will refuse to do anything on the up to 80 service unless speeds are "below" 40?

Had around 45 sync 2x now, they fixed it the last time, no problem (with a lift and shift). The 2 broadband engineers never refused to do anything because of the sync. It was clear my line should be way over that though so maybe that's why. When I first got FTTC I believe my attainable sync was over 138, first on the cab I guess, ordered it the day it came available.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2014, 07:17:17 AM »

I don't know where you're getting your info from, Chrysallis, but I'd probably review the sources again ??  ;) :)

I can, and do, on a regular basis, pick up faults on the 80 Meg product that are performing above 40Meg. Having the VDSL port tested at the FTTC is 'Bread and butter' stuff, and doesn't have to meet any protocols. I could have every single one of my VDSL ports tested if I wanted to, but only do so if the fault dictates I need to. HTH.  :) 

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2014, 09:25:10 AM »

Black sheep my info is from plusnet and visiting engineers

Also openreach senior management now.

Visiting engineers keep telling me they get all ticks on their tester unit they are not supposed to do anything else other than sign the job off.  This is not a fib, this is what they say to me.  Obviously when I read yourself and other stating different treatment is applied this makes me annoyed as openreach in my area seem pretty bad.  All the visiting engineers stated the speeds they seen when here which ranged from about 50 up to mid 60s were all 'excellent' even tho my line at one point had 110 attainable and an extimate of 72.  Most of them except one guy claimed 80 isnt possible, and that me saying an attainable over 80 is bonkers, according to these guys (I think they were playing dumb) the FTTC tech maxes out at 75.

Next we have plusnet, originally they were saying openreach are been unacceptable and they kept pushing more engineers out, then a senior guy at plusnet called Daniel took over my ticket, telling me plusnet dont do speed boost engineers on FTTC and that he agreed with the SFI engineer's, this guy then came back later saying the speed estimate has been adjusted downwards and he considers the problem resolved.  One of the forum rep's on plusnet I asked him what is the threshold for openreach to consider my service worthy of investigation as they were telling me 40mbit, 62mbit etc. is "well within spec" and he said it has to be under 40mbit/sec.

I emailed the openreach CEO, he passed the case onto his management team who then passed it on to some kind of support guys they have inside openreach, a guy emailed me and told me he would be doing some tests on my line, then a few days later he came back saying all tested ok and that the policy was applied 'almost' correct by the visiting engineers in that if the remote tests all pass they are not supposed to check the line, ports etc.  He did agree with me they should have swapped the faceplate and nte5 (if faceplate swap did no improvement).

Finally openreach apparently have the estimate for my line as 59, which is way lower than the BTw estimate.  They gave me my exact distance to cabinet also which is 436 metres.  Higher than what I thought it was.  Now you know the distance what would you consider average speed based on 400-450m?

So thats the source of my aggrevation :(

http://www.ntvoiceanddata.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Chart-FTTC-speed-against-distance.png
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 09:35:53 AM by Chrysalis »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2014, 07:14:31 PM »

I can only apologise for all the mis-information that is knocking around. I think you've been trawling the boards long enough to accept there's a massive disparity between good and poor engineers. Add to the mix the constant threats of 'Performance Plans', which ultimately lead to being managed out of the business, and I can't really blame the engineers for doing what it says on the tin in regard to their test results.

There is NO mandate on Broadband Faults that says if all the tests pass, we don't do anything else. If it's a PSTN fault and has been raised as a CDTA (Conscious Decision To Appoint) task, then yes, we run the tests, utilise QLT on the landline and if all is OK we then leave and TRC (Charge) the ISP.

I put the blame in various camps, poor training, incredibly short 'Buddying' periods post-training, management emphasis on productivity, awful ISP front-desk knowledge of DSL ………… and ……… EU's who are anal about the tiniest of movement in their circuits performance.
I admit to bull-shining one EU in particular on my patch, who raises faults just for the company, I'm sure ?!

TBH, the whole kit and caboodle (from ISP, though Openreach to the EU themselves), carries vast swathes of confusion dependant on the knowledge and capability of the individual. Obviously, everyone on this forum is an expert, myself included, so such things wouldn't trouble us.  ;) :lol:

I wouldn't wish to guess on your expected speed. There's lots of calculations take place to give the estimate, cable poundage, CAL, perceived X-Talk ……… and it's only an estimate to the DP. I will say, that generally on a normal 0.5mm copper line, that full synch is achieved up to approx 300mtrs from the Cab, then tails off from there. I've highlighted the terms as I don't want any comeback from someone who know someone, who get full synch at 500mtrs. I'm just generalising.  :) 

Pages: [1] 2

anything