Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Info ....  (Read 5110 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Info ....
« on: February 28, 2014, 07:25:27 AM »

Taken from our daily bulletin ............ 'After more than a decade Microsoft is ending support for Windows XP in a few months. That means no more security updates for XP users after April 4 2014'. ............. thought it worth a mention for those who may use this OS.  :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Info ....
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 10:23:09 AM »

Which is a shame in a way because I know an awful lot of people who have bought Vista and then rolled back to XP.     Myself included, I rolled back to XP on a couple of machines purely because I didn't like certain aspects of vista..   And because XP was such a stable os that never caused me any problems.   

But thinking about it 13 years of support is quite a long time for an os.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 11:31:00 AM »

I suspect that Windows XP will be around for a while yet.

There's still some people providing unoficcial suppoort and updates for Windows 98!

http://www.htasoft.com/u98sesp/

This "service pack" provides many updated drivers and patches, and modifies the Kernel so it'll run a number of Windows XP programs  :o

I did install this on an old Windows 98 PC a few years ago, and it was surprisingly good!

Expect similar for Windows XP  :-X

nb Google have said that they will continue to support Windows XP with Chrome updates for another year.

Ian

Berrick

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 02:46:20 PM »

It's not just security updates or XP that Microsoft wont support after this date. Its Office 2003, no hot fix's or support from them regardless (Unless your a big Enterprise customer ;) ).

This milestone is also the cue for all hardware and software manufactures to stop supporting their legacy or new equipment under XP.

Myself included, I rolled back to XP on a couple of machines

You can re install Vista if you want to the COA is still legitimate
Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 10:53:39 PM »

>>  Its Office 2003,

Yes I noticed that too...  another what was a popular version.  I guess its a prompt to make us buy new versions.

>>  You can re install Vista if you want to the COA is still legitimate

Ive still got 2 valid Vista Product Licences.  1) Vista Home Premium. 2) Vista Digital Media Edition.   Neither of them used for much more than a month before I rolled back/downgraded to XP.   No machine to put them on though  ;D
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything