Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ring Wire Removal/Sync Diary  (Read 17522 times)

jaydog

• Reg Member
Ring Wire Removal/Sync Diary
« on: January 11, 2008, 06:06:40 PM »

On Wednesday I decided to remove the ring wires from behind my phone sockets to see if I could achieve faster download speeds. I was always syncing at between 4200 and just under 4500. This is approx 3.5mb and I know I can achieve a maximum of 4.5mb in my area. My download speeds were currently no more than 385kB/s.

I use a netgear dg834g v3 router at the master socket, i also have my pc wireless using a netgear wg111 v2 adapter.

Before the ring wire, i was having sync's at approx 4200 - 4450 - no higher. Since removing the ring wire, iv not had a sync that has gone under 4800 so its a big improvement and have had download speeds of 505kB/s - a big improvement.

My noise margin is usually around 6dB and drops throughout the day to about 3dB, but never goes higher than 6dB. In the evening I always find that my router loses sync, and then drops to a lower sync.

These stats on kitz site tell me what I need to know in this experiment:

sync 4000 kbps  to 4512 kbps = gives ip profile of 3500 giving Up to 3.5 Mbps       <<<< before ringwire removal i must have been 3.5mb
sync 4544 kbps  to 5088 kbps = gives ip profile of 4000 giving Up to 4 Mbps          <<<< afterwards i am now on 4mb!

As long as my router can stay with a sync of above 4544 then I will have 4mb download speeds, so thats all im going to think of here as there is no way i can clutch and hold onto over 5100 to give me 4.5mb as i lose sync in the evening and always drop below 5000.

My router - netgear dg834g is a good one though in my opinion.

I will post my stats twice a day in this thread so you can see progress since removing the ringwire. This may help other users determine whether to remove that ringwire, and help me as you may see something i can possibly change.

***Fresh reboot of router on Fri 11th Jan at 12pm*** - router not to be rebooted from now on.

Fri 11th Jan 2008 Stats at 6pm
DownStream Connection Speed     5408 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed       448 kbps

ADSL Link     Downstream     Upstream
Connection Speed    5408 kbps    448 kbps
Line Attenuation    49 db    14.5 db
Noise Margin    1 db    20 db           

Notice its staying at 1dB and its 6pm!!!! It's always around 6dB during the day! Itl cut out and lose sync soon. I will update stats again at 10pm.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 06:10:33 PM by jaydog »

jaydog

• Reg Member
Re: Ring Wire Removal/Sync Diary
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 08:38:33 PM »

Friday - 7.30pm - lost sync.

Stats at 8.30pm:

DownStream Connection Speed     4896 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed       448 kbps

ADSL Link                  Downstream     Upstream
Connection Speed    4896 kbps    448 kbps
Line Attenuation               49 db    14.5 db
Noise Margin                       2 db    22 db

Im still within the ip profile limit for a 4mb connection which gives me a good 430kB/s approx. Very frustrating that I can sync at over 5000 when rebooting router, but the evenings effect me.

Does anyone think it could have anything to do with the sky box telephone cable going into the connection?
The router is directly next to a tv and sky box but this is the only place i can have it if i want to be plugged into the main socket.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 09:10:56 PM »

Probably not. Why don't you try unplugging the sky box for a bit, either from the phone line, from the mains, or both, to see if it makes a difference to your SNR margin. Note you won't need to resync to see if it makes an immediate difference. If so, then take some steps to sort it out, if necessary shove a filter on the phone cable going to the sky box to see if double filtering makes a difference.

So yeah, it might be the cause of the problem, but then again it might not. Like I said in your other thread, we don't know for sure because we don't have the advantage of physically being there!

And like I said in your other thread too - SNR generally will decrease in the evenings, and there is very little, if anything, that you can do about it :(
Chris

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 09:20:35 PM »

Why don't you try unplugging the sky box for a bit, either from the phone line, from the mains, or both,

And why not try jumping up an down on it whilst you're about it.

Ooops, sorry I forgot that normal people watch TV; it's only saddos like me that manage without.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 10:00:59 PM »

>> And why not try jumping up an down on it whilst you're about it.

Astral - how many pints did you have at the pub tonight  :lol:
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 10:02:05 PM »

Not enough, obviously! :angel:

setecio

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 10:05:03 PM »

:lol: ;D :lol: ... ring sky up and say it didn't survive your own drop test and you wanted to check if their drop tests are the same as yours  ;)

Is there any risk of a bad shock when fiddling / cutting with the wires ?

Is there any risk of shorting something which leads to a necessary BT visit and becoming £144+vat lighter.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 10:08:05 PM »

Oh well made me laugh
- since Im sat in on a friday night sniffing away and actually turned down an offer to go out.

oops slaps self for going OT.  :-[

[edit to clarify]

sniffing being a "runny dose".
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 10:10:38 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jaydog

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 11:15:54 PM »

Thanks for totally wrecking my thread guys.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 11:37:09 PM »

Well let's get it back on topic... any comment on what I replied to you or was I wasting my time?
Chris

jaydog

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2008, 04:01:01 PM »

Saturday 12th Jan - 4pm

ADSL Link                Downstream     Upstream
Connection Speed     4896 kbps  448 kbps
Line Attenuation              49 db   14.5 db
Noise Margin                         6 db    22 db

Connection has stayed for 20hrs, big test will be tonight again. I lost sync around 7.30pm last night, so I guess this will happen again tonight and I will have a sync change. Whether this will be lower than above I have no idea, we will see.

Regarding sky boxes, I doubt this would have an effect as the telephone cable is rarely in use only when sky rarely dial up the box or if you interact.

Will post more stats at 9pm

setecio

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2008, 05:12:51 PM »

Regarding sky boxes, I doubt this would have an effect as the telephone cable is rarely in use only when sky rarely dial up the box or if you interact.

Since the router is beside the TV and sky box then the only way to be sure is turn both off and leave them unplugged to avoid Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise (REIN) . Could there be another source of REIN ? http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/rein.htm

Another thing you need to do to be sure is unplug all the extension wiring in case something on it is causing noise or the remaining 2 wires are causing noise.

As mr chris says, you should see whether either of these affect the SNR margin immediately.

It just depends how far you want to go with your investigations.

jaydog

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2008, 05:52:15 PM »

Saturday 12th Jan
Lost sync at 5.50pm

New stats:
ADSL Link                 Downstream     Upstream
Connection Speed      5056 kbps        448 kbps
Line Attenuation               49 db    14.5 db
Noise Margin                           5 db    22 db

So yeah I lost sync, but when it auto re-sync'd it had increased!

Ring wire was definatly causing a problem because I never had sync's as good as these.

The problem I'm facing now is why I'm losing sync every single evening. I doubt its anything to do with my wiring/sky/tv/ because its always evening time and never during the day or overnight.

Only other thing I could try is to connect my router to the upstairs phone socket - then if I lose sync again every evening, I know its nothing to do with my router being next to tv/sky equipment....

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2008, 06:02:30 PM »

>its nothing to do with my router being next to tv/sky equipment....<

The only way to prove that definitively is to disconnect & switch off all other equipment connected to your phone line.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2008, 06:13:14 PM »

Quote from: me, a few posts up...
Why don't you try unplugging the sky box for a bit, either from the phone line, from the mains, or both, to see if it makes a difference to your SNR margin. Note you won't need to resync to see if it makes an immediate difference. If so, then take some steps to sort it out, if necessary shove a filter on the phone cable going to the sky box to see if double filtering makes a difference.
Chris
Pages: [1] 2